The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Tanknation (accepting membership)

Stanky Legs

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

...and who do you think will be attracted to play with our aging, declining core?

Comprehension not up to snuff, indeed.

7 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Flames had nothing to gain last year for making a playoff run….Oh wait, there 3 rookies who were all picks outside of the top 3 have just catapulted past the oilers previous 4 top 3 draft picks in development.  Now the flames have players that want to sign there and there rookies are looking that much better for it. 

It's about who you can attract when your kids get a taste of the postseason and can learn from the experience. McDavid being the highest rated prospect in decades didn't magically make prime free agents line up to play with him. The notion that making the playoffs even for a first round exit stifles our future possibilities is laughable. Were all those second round losses to Chicago a waste when guys like Hamhuis, Malhotra and Torres saw the potential we had and all came over in one offseason? You know, guys that all had a big part to play in our greatest season even? 

UFAs see the excitement in the present and the potential in the future. The kids in Calgary are better off for the experience because they get vets who want to be a part of it. Edmonton can't say the same.

1 minute ago, Winter Soldier said:

It's about who you can attract when your kids get a taste of the postseason and can learn from the experience. McDavid being the highest rated prospect in decades didn't magically make prime free agents line up to play with him. The notion that making the playoffs even for a first round exit stifles our future possibilities is laughable. Were all those second round losses to Chicago a waste when guys like Hamhuis, Malhotra and Torres saw the potential we had and all came over in one offseason? You know, guys that all had a big part to play in our greatest season even? 

UFAs see the excitement in the present and the potential in the future. The kids in Calgary are better off for the experience because they get vets who want to be a part of it. Edmonton can't say the same.

I like the Flame's top two young guns too, but they are not Cup elite guys. IMHAO. 

8 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

I'm not disagreeing with your theory only that we do not have the core that will "excite" any free agents to come play here.  stumbling into the playoffs wont' fool anyone in the hockey world that this team is a contender and worth committing your prime years to.  Our prospects are coming along but they are not shining stars compared to many other teams.  I believe this is why Benning is looking into various trades to try and find NHL ready replacements for the guys I mentioned earlier.  Then maybe the combination will make Vancouver attractive to FAs.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

not the Flames top two offensive guys.  Do you see the Flames winning a Cup with those two guys at the center of the core? 

Monahan and Johnny are basically a Toews and Kane 2.0.

They gave ducks a run for there money and now are a year older, add in Bennett. That team is short a legit # number one goalie away from really becoming a impact team. 

Stsrted off slow this year but have really turned it on winning 12 of their last 14 at home.  A few more years development and yes I can see the flames winning a cup.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Monahan and Johnny are basically a Toews and Kane 2.0.

They gave ducks a run for there money and now are a year older, add in Bennett. That team is short a legit # number one goalie away from really becoming a impact team. 

Stsrted off slow this year but have really turned it on winning 12 of their last 14 at home.  A few more years development and yes I can see the flames winning a cup.

They don't have a Toews or Kane.  They have the poor man's version.  They are already behind Edmonton, who have McDavid, LD, and RNH.  Plus, Edmonton has the goalie, and a rising elite Dman in Nurse.  No, the Flames are not winning any Cups with those guys as their core.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They don't have a Toews or Kane.  They have the poor man's version.  They are already behind Edmonton, who have McDavid, LD, and RNH.  Plus, Edmonton has the goalie, and a rising elite Dman in Nurse.  No, the Flames are not winning any Cups with those guys as their core.

Monahan and Johnny are right beside toews and Kane in production when they were at the same point in there careers  Johnny is a ppg this year. In his second year in the league.  You are crazy if you don't think they are elite.  The accomplishment they have already at 22&21.  

the only player oilers have over flames in mcdavid. Flames haven't drafted in the top 3 and yet their prospects are way surpaced the oil.

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Monahan and Johnny are right beside toews and Kane in production when they were at the same point in there careers  Johnny is a ppg this year. In his second year in the league.  You are crazy if you don't think they are elite.  The accomplishment they have already at 22&21.  

the only player oilers have over flames in mcdavid. Flames haven't drafted in the top 3 and yet their prospects are way surpaced the oil.

Didn't kane and toews have a stanly cup ring when they were 21/22

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You may feel those two guys are equal to the dynamic duo in Chicago, but I don't.  Many would think Buffalo is ahead of them, along with Florida too, for young core players.  I freely admit my bias though, as I hate the City of Calgary, and cheered when it flooded.  I hope their oil based economy continues to tumble and they experience the worst economic crises in Alberta's history.   If Giant aliens come to our planet, I would expect they would use Calgary to wipe their a+#@s with. Monahan is a rat face, and Goudreau is a Smurf. 

::D

Yes, I agree, they are good players, but I don't see them as elite Cup core players.  Calgary SUCKS!  GO - any team other than Calgary - GO!!! 

10 minutes ago, jejejester said:

Didn't kane and toews have a stanly cup ring when they were 21/22

And if flames pick up a goalie this td I wouldn't be shocked if the pushed for a cup. That would match.

The point isn't that they are equal and the flames duo will go on to build a modern day dynasty. The point is if you don't think they are elite young talents. Then hockey isn't your sport. They have just as good as chance to win a cup in their life time than any other young talent. They are very few young duos that id rather have on my team right now. 

Archived