The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 Mid Season Draft Rankings

TheHockeyNerds

Hey guys, 

With all the recent talk about this years 2016 draft eligible prospects, I thought I would do my top ten Mid term Rankings. What do you guys think? Thanks for the read!

1. Auston Matthews 

2. Jesse Puljujarvi 

3. Patrik Laine

4. Jacob Chychrun 

5. Mathew Tkachuk 

6. William Nylander

7. Olli Juolevi

8. Michael McLeod

9. Michail Sergachev

10. Pierre-Luc Dubois

HM (Julien Gauthier, Dante Fabbro, Clayton Keller) 

1 minute ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Hey guys, 

With all the recent talk about this years 2016 draft eligible prospects, I thought I would do my top ten Mid term Rankings. What do you guys think? Thanks for the read!

1. Auston Matthews 

2. Jesse Puljujarvi 

3. Patrik Laine

4. Jacob Chychrun 

5. Mathew Tkachuck 

6. William Nylander

7. Olli Juolevi

8. Michael McLeod

9. Michail Sergachev

10. Pierre-Luc Dubois

Chychrun didn't even make a thin WJC team. 

If William Nylander is re-entering the draft then I would select him to get Virtanen off the hook. 

5 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Hey guys, 

1. Auston Matthews 

2. Jesse Puljujarvi 

3. Patrik Laine

4. Jacob Chychrun 

5. Mathew Tkachuk 

6. William Nylander

7. Olli Juolevi

8. Michael McLeod

9. Michail Sergachev

10. Pierre-Luc Dubois

I'd put Tkachuk in the top 5 easily, and I think you mean Alexander Nylander there. ;) But pretty decent top 10.

20 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Hey guys, 

1. Auston Matthews 

2. Jesse Puljujarvi 

3. Patrik Laine

4. Jacob Chychrun 

5. Mathew Tkachuk 

6. William Nylander

7. Olli Juolevi

8. Michael McLeod

9. Michail Sergachev

10. Pierre-Luc Dubois

I will admit to not seeing much of the Finns beyond the two tournies, but I honestly think I would take both of them over Matthews.  Dont get me wrong, I think Matthews is going to be great, but those two Finns completely dominated that tournament.

As for which Finn I would take, tough call.  I love Laines size, speed, skill and his physical domination.  He looked like a man playing with Boys out there.  On the other hand, JP doesn't give much up in skill and size, but he gains in vision and position........he's the #1C the Canucks need, imo.  That's who I would pick if I were Benning, but I personally like Laines skill level and mean streak.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I will admit to not seeing much of the Finns beyond the two tournies, but I honestly think I would take both of them over Matthews.  Dont get me wrong, I think Matthews is going to be great, but those two Finns completely dominated that tournament.

As for which Finn I would take, tough call.  I love Laines size, speed, skill and his physical domination.  He looked like a man playing with Boys out there.  On the other hand, JP doesn't give much up in skill and size, but he gains in vision and position........he's the #1C the Canucks need, imo.  That's who I would pick if I were Benning, but I personally like Laines skill level and mean streak.

Alex Nylander.  ^_^. Pulijujaarvi is a much better player than Laine.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alex Nylander.  ^_^. Pulijujaarvi is a much better player than Laine.  

I wouldn't say that at all.  They are similar, but different as well.  Laine Is fast and physically intimidating out there, he crushed everything that moved, including JP.  He's also the purest sniper in the draft.  JP is more cerebral in his game, and just a slight more passive.

If I had the number one overall pick. I'd pick...Matthews? 

But Laine and Puljujarvi has grown on me as well. And I'd love Chychrun too! 

Hate to be Benning...the draft for GM's gotta be like a kid being in a candy store. 

Who would you guys pick if we had No. 1 overall? 

Laine? Puljujarvi? Matthews? 

For me Jost needs to be there. He was Canada's best player at the U19's 9 points in 4 games.

1. Matthews

2. Puljujarvi

3. Laine

4. Tkachuk

5. Juolevi

6. Chychrun

7. Nylander

8. Gauthier

9. Dubois

10. Jost

HM to Sergachev and Brown

Obviously I'm not sold on McLeod, Fabbro, Jones or Bellows

Early prediction is that the Canucks pick 8th overall and take Juolevi from the London Knights and this is how I see the top 10 shaking down.

1. CBJ - Matthews

2. BUF - Puljujarvi

3. TOR - Laine

4. CAR - Dubois

5. PHI - Tkachuk

6. COL - Chychrun

7. WPG - Gauthier

8. VAN - Juolevi

9. EDM - Sergachev

10. SJ - Nylander

1 hour ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Hey guys, 

1. Auston Matthews 

2. Jesse Puljujarvi 

3. Patrik Laine

4. Jacob Chychrun 

5. Mathew Tkachuk 

6. William Nylander

7. ...

I have the same top 5. Beyond that it is iffy. If would be interesting (or ironic, or something) if the Canucks pick 6th and get the chance to pass on Alex Nylander at #6 just like they passed on his brother in the same spot.

And it could be similar to Virtanen's year in that I am guessing that top 5 become consensus top 5 picks and after that it is wide open.

I would love to get one of the top 5. And it is important to trade vets for more lower level picks. Benning has a good eye for high potential lottery tickets (i.e. low picks) so I want him to have lots of lottery tickets.

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If I had the number one overall pick. I'd pick...Matthews? 

But Laine and Puljujarvi has grown on me as well. And I'd love Chychrun too! 

Hate to be Benning...the draft for GM's gotta be like a kid being in a candy store. 

Who would you guys pick if we had No. 1 overall? 

Laine? Puljujarvi? Matthews? 

Matthews for me with Puljujarvi creeping behind. Tough choice. Even if we don't get first OA but we get top 5 I'll be happy. Plenty of good prospects.

1. Matthews

2.Puljujarvi

3.Laine

4. Nylander

5. Tkachuk

6.Joulevi

7. Chychrun

8. Gauthier

9.Dubois

10. Sergachev

21 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Matthews for me with Puljujarvi creeping behind. Tough choice. Even if we don't get first OA but we get top 5 I'll be happy. Plenty of good prospects.

1. Matthews

2.Puljujarvi

3.Laine

4. Nylander

5. Tkachuk

6.Joulevi

7. Chychrun

8. Gauthier

9.Dubois

10. Sergachev

If we got a top 5 pick, not Matthews, who would you pick? I know we need a defenseman, but Laine and/or Puljujarvi is just too enciticing. Big, skilled, fast, tough - isn't that the type of player Canucks fans wanted, and who management drafted with Virtanen? Maybe Laine becomes the player that steps in, that fans in this market hoped Virtanen would've done. 

2 hours ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Hey guys, 

1. Auston Matthews 

2. Jesse Puljujarvi 

3. Patrik Laine

4. Jacob Chychrun 

5. Mathew Tkachuk 

6. William Nylander

7. Olli Juolevi

8. Michael McLeod

9. Michail Sergachev

10. Pierre-Luc Dubois

I'd have Juolevi ahead of Nylander. We need a puck moving Dman more then a Nylander type. Plus if have Gauthier a bit higher.

41 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If we got a top 5 pick, not Matthews, who would you pick? I know we need a defenseman, but Laine and/or Puljujarvi is just too enciticing. Big, skilled, fast, tough - isn't that the type of player Canucks fans wanted, and who management drafted with Virtanen? Maybe Laine becomes the player that steps in, that fans in this market hoped Virtanen would've done. 

I would take Puljujarvi

Pulijujarvi is an incredible playmaker. Every shift he drives the play and makes things happen. Kinda like Seguin or Kane .

Laine is a finisher. He can score in any number of ways but he needs a good set up man to be good. But he's gonna b money.

Any of Mathews or the fins could go number one this year so even at number three you'll get an elite talent to build around.

and this is why I'm hoping we have one of those three picks so we can accelerate this rebuild. Not necessarily through tanking but trades and what not. This draft is so deep but the top end is where the elite separate from the good.

Archived