The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have inquired about Johansen, Drouin

I think there is a strong enough appetite amongst the fan base for a rebuild that Benning would be pretty safe dealing vets for picks/youth. I would be more excited with a high pick and some deadline trades for youth than watching this tired group pick up points in a fruitless effort to make the playoffs.

Benning goes on to say winning now is important and the "tank" is not an option. 

Sounds like the owners want the revenue from the two home games from playoffs.this team will continue to be good enough to stay bad. 

Pathetic short sighted owners still pulling the puppet string. 

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Benning goes on to say winning now is important and the "tank" is not an option. 

Sounds like the owners want the revenue from the two home games from playoffs.this team will continue to be good enough to stay bad. 

Well...JB says he has looked into acquiring these guys but won't give up youth...that is a good thing.  I also assume it means he would be willing to move vets but that isn't going to get it done.

My hope is that JB is saying all the right things so the fans still believe the team is playing to win but that he will be a seller by trade deadline to acquire more youth and picks.

20 minutes ago, combover said:

What else can he say? If I were a season ticket holder I'd be furious and feeling ripped off if the General Manager of the team came out and said that we are hoping to lose every game.

It's not just about revenue from the playoffs, the strategical focus is on being able to sell tickets long term so the GM has to be very careful about what he says.

I'd be disappointed if he hadn't kicked the tires at least.

But I'd rather not throw our youth away for someone elses' youth problem. Ours might not be as good, or they might be better. But they haven't requested a trade at 20 years old, and that's good.

If they wanted Vrbata and a "Jensen" for him, I'd be okay with that. But nobody from the 'prospect core'.

51 minutes ago, combover said:

If that is what the owners are requesting, they will pay for it. Fans aren't interested in a one and done playoff run anymore.

The sharp drop off in season ticket ownership and attendance will continue to happen.

1 hour ago, combover said:

I don't think there's an answer he could give that would satisfy people like you. 

He is interested but won't give up young players. "We should tank."

He hasn't inquired. "Because we are so deep so that we aren't willing to add a 21-22 year old stud?"

It's called due diligence. This isn't an either/or with getting a good pick this year. It's worth a conversation every time. 

1 hour ago, combover said:

Or... That's the only answer he can publicly give. 

I'm sure the players, coaches, season ticket holders etc would all LOVE to hear that we don't plan on winning games this season :rolleyes:

Regardless, whether he's 'planning' a tank or not...one's happening anyway.

You may now untwist your panties.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

If that is what the owners are requesting, they will pay for it. Fans aren't interested in a one and done playoff run anymore.

The sharp drop off in season ticket ownership and attendance will continue to happen.

Exactly.  The fans in Vancouver are not stupid.  No one will be fooled into thinking that we're "close" by making the playoffs and losing in round 1.  We all KNOW the team is not good enough to compete for a CUP.  Personally, I won't ever get excited again until we make the conference finals. And just to be clear, I'm not advocating trying to lose on purpose.  But trading away veterans for picks and prospects....is an absolute MUST this year. Come on Benning...show us you have some balls.   

The thing is, you can give up a young piece if you get another young piece in return.

I don't think Johansen is specifically the answer to our problems, but if you have him signed long term, then Horvat and McCann become pretty expendable since you have Sedin, Johansen, and Sutter as your locked in top 3 centres,

Upgrading talent and filling the gap of a player in their early mid twenties who is entering their prime.... not a terrible plan.

7 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

Exactly.  The fans in Vancouver are not stupid.  No one will be fooled into thinking that we're "close" by making the playoffs and losing in round 1.  We all KNOW the team is not good enough to compete for a CUP.  Personally, I won't ever get excited again until we make the conference finals. And just to be clear, I'm not advocating trying to lose on purpose.  But trading away veterans for picks and prospects....is an absolute MUST this year. Come on Benning...show us you have some balls.   

You aren't thinking clearly if you don't realize that will be the plan should the record of the team not improve. And, halfway through the season, it almost mathematically can't. 

The statement you are looking for won't be for 20 games. It shouldn't be. It can't be. It has to be until the 11th hour before the deadline. 

Hasnt he already traded vets? Calling his courage into the equation is a low blow. I believe giving him credit for being start enough to understand timing is not a far reach  

3 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

About "tanking"

JB in an interview on TSN1040 said " I know how bad our fans want to win and thats just not an option for us" 

Personally I don't think he knows the fans in his market.

I think he has a pretty good idea of who the "true" fans are.

Archived