The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have inquired about Johansen, Drouin

he doesnt want to trade his young players, of course not, but these two players are young, you wont net either of them without giving up a young asset in the deal. So if he wants a 20 yr old winger or a local bc boy who is a C 6'3 220lb legit top 6 C he is going to have to give up something he labels as a you asset, otherwise ya the conversations will be short with their respected gm's

Virtanen,Boeser, Shinkaruk, Baer, McCann, Horvat, Hutton

that is what either GM will be asking for something from that list plus more

Be interested not that we will ever know unless we indeed make the trade but would wonder what either gm has asked Benning for in return

I think you go after Johansen out of the 2, big C is what we need gives us legit 2C immediately.  gotta Give to get tho....

20 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

About "tanking"

JB in an interview on TSN1040 said " I know how bad our fans want to win and thats just not an option for us" 

Personally I don't think he knows the fans in his market.

Disagree.

There is a cognitive dissonance in a large portion of this fanbase with regards to the product on the ice. These two views, 1) we need a good pick so we need to lose, and 2) we should get Weber, Vey, and Higgins out of the line-up so we can ice a better product, are in contrast with each other.

It's not as simple as others who say, "I'd be ok with losing if the kids were making mistakes but not vets." It doesn't work that way because we would then create a losing environment in both Utica and in our product here. And, really, we are only talking waiting for 20 games until the trade deadline... still the fans are impatient and draw unrealistic conclusions because of their inability to see that the timing of the season cycle plays a large part into it.

Frankly, the fans would revolt if we dumped all of our vets for kids who would not get the job done either or, worse yet, keep the majority of them down and fill them with waiver wire vets to insulate the line-up. Being ok with losing, and admitting that to this fanbase, is not an option because they need everything spelled out to them. They don't seem able to perceive what should be self-evident to a fan with years of experience. There are ups and downs... this year is a down...but the factors of team sports dynamics doesn't lend itself to giving up half way through a season. Nor should it. If you go down, you go down swinging. 

Bottom line, the fans in this market, as you allude to, are not going to stop complaining regardless of what the GM does short of pulling off a miracle. 

Regardless of what many CDC posters say, unless there are 16-17,000 people willing to pay to watch the team lose, and be fully understanding that it happens to every team, then intentionally tanking is a PR nightmare. The casual fan isn't going to pay to see that product no matter what. They will come back in 4 years. That's just the reality. Only hockey fans will actually show up.

Best time to trade for Johansen would be at the draft, where we know our position. If we're drafting outside of the top 5, I'd say go ahead and trade that pick plus, one of Gaunce, Jensen, or Cassels to Columbus for Johansen and a 2nd. That of course, Chychrun doesn't fall out of the top 5.

24 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

Exactly.  The fans in Vancouver are not stupid.  No one will be fooled into thinking that we're "close" by making the playoffs and losing in round 1.  We all KNOW the team is not good enough to compete for a CUP.  Personally, I won't ever get excited again until we make the conference finals. And just to be clear, I'm not advocating trying to lose on purpose.  But trading away veterans for picks and prospects....is an absolute MUST this year. Come on Benning...show us you have some balls.   

I think Benning has a definite plan and is not really going to deviate from it. I think he's a man of his word, as he proved it by keeping Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton with the team.

He said it, he did it...just like Sam the Record Man.

I think his statement on 1040 that the team is too proud to tank is true. No GM should state that it's their intention to consciously tank. That's just ridiculous.

And if the Canucks do happen to squeak into the playoffs (highly doubtful in my opinion) they may win a series, especially if they play the Flames or Oilers, but they won't beat LA or Anaheim in a series.

Knowing that, it would be better to trade any veterans that he can whether or not the playoffs are a possibility.

Vrbata, Higgins, and Weber were ghosts in the series against the Flames last year, so trading them will have little to no effect on how the team fares.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

This.   ^^

he said he won't give up what the other teams want.  No trade. No discussion needed

Yeah, creating a thread for it suggests it has some legs, but in fact he just phoned and found out he was never going to meet their asking prices. There really isn't any continuation of this or possibility of a trade unless the price comes way down. We can't even discuss our proposals (as these threads usually turn to) since there isn't a realistic trade we could suggest that'd work for both Benning and the other teams.

I would bet that virtually every team in the NHL has inquired about those players.  Why the Nucks doing so is news just trying to sell papers. 

Even if Benning is willing to move some prospects or picks to make a deal happen, he isn't going to say so publicly.

8 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, creating a thread for it suggests it has some legs, but in fact he just phoned and found out he was never going to meet their asking prices. There really isn't any continuation of this or possibility of a trade unless the price comes way down. We can't even discuss our proposals (as these threads usually turn to) since there isn't a realistic trade we could suggest that'd work for both Benning and the other teams.

Do you expect JB to state publicly he will meet the other GM's asking price?  For all we know, this could be a method of bargaining? 

It still think Tampa would be looking at Tanev, and that would be enough.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you expect JB to state publicly he will meet the other GM's asking price?  For all we know, this could be a method of bargaining? 

It still think Tampa would be looking at Tanev, and that would be enough.

Could be right but the Nucks need Tanev more than they need Johansen.  Our D core is a shambles and even when healthy is in need of significant improvement.  Letting Tanev go would leave a massive hole to fill.

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Could be right but the Nucks need Tanev more than they need Johansen.  Our D core is a shambles and even when healthy is in need of significant improvement.  Letting Tanev go would leave a massive hole to fill.

I agree with you, that Tanev would make for a big loss.  However, to get elite offensive talent (which we lack in our prospects to replace the Twins) JB has to look at that.  IMHAO

4 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I would bet that virtually every team in the NHL has inquired about those players.  Why the Nucks doing so is news just trying to sell papers. 

Even if Benning is willing to move some prospects or picks to make a deal happen, he isn't going to say so publicly.

Its the duty and job description of every GM to enquire about premium players who want to get traded...Not really any new news there at all...After listening to Benning on 1040,it sounded like his conversation with Stevie Y was a pretty short one....Basically saying that we don't have the assets to fulfil Tampa's needs at this point.

Just now, Alflives said:

I agree with you, that Tanev would make for a big loss.  However, to get elite offensive talent (which we lack in our prospects to replace the Twins) JB has to look at that.  IMHAO

He does.  Would be a tough call to make.  Makes beefing up our D core a much bigger task.

Just now, Honky Cat said:

Its the duty and job description of every GM to enquire about premium players who want to get traded...Not really any new news there at all...After listening to Benning on 1040,it sounded like his conversation with Stevie Y was a pretty short one....Basically saying that we don't have the assets to fulfil Tampa's needs at this point.

Likely under 5 minutes.  Still, in making the call, Benning must have some assets he is willing to move.  Time will tell which ones.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Tanev is a skinny guy.  He's in his mid 20s too, so getting thicker is not happening for him. 

6'2" - 185 is certainly not large or intimidating but his positional and stick play is stellar.  Very high IQ.  Playing with a bigger, more physical partner he is a valuable asset and definitely a top 4 NHLer.  If he goes, we do not have anyone in the system that can come close to replacing him at this time.  It likely means Benning would have to double efforts to make a move for a D-man, costing more assets.

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

6'2" - 185 is certainly not large or intimidating but his positional and stick play is stellar.  Very high IQ.  Playing with a bigger, more physical partner he is a valuable asset and definitely a top 4 NHLer.  If he goes, we do not have anyone in the system that can come close to replacing him at this time.  It likely means Benning would have to double efforts to make a move for a D-man, costing more assets.

I agree Tanev is a valuable player to our team, but believe to acquire elite offensive skill, he would be worth trading.  If we could get Drouin or RJ for him, I would do that for sure. 

1 hour ago, brownky said:

I'd be disappointed if he hadn't kicked the tires at least.

But I'd rather not throw our youth away for someone elses' youth problem. Ours might not be as good, or they might be better. But they haven't requested a trade at 20 years old, and that's good.

If they wanted Vrbata and a "Jensen" for him, I'd be okay with that. But nobody from the 'prospect core'.

You have to kick the tires because who knows what the other gm might want from our team even if they want x player from one team we might have something else they don't have that we would be willing to give up. But from the sounds of it we might have what they want but it is not something we will give up.

Archived