The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have inquired about Johansen, Drouin

Just now, billabong said:

I know it's the owners telling him to make the playoffs but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a PR thing where he won't just come out and say it just so there's no back lash and money losses 

No kidding.

You don't say it.

It's not like it's a publicly traded company. There's little incentive and more to lose.

3 hours ago, Screw said:

I think there is a strong enough appetite amongst the fan base for a rebuild that Benning would be pretty safe dealing vets for picks/youth. I would be more excited with a high pick and some deadline trades for youth than watching this tired group pick up points in a fruitless effort to make the playoffs.

Its not the fan base that is holding Jim hostage from doing it...its Francisco Aqualini.  The guy is greedy and wants to make playoffs for the money and revenue.

3 minutes ago, theminister said:

No kidding.

You don't say it.

It's not like it's a publicly traded company. There's little incentive and more to lose.

Would not the league fine the crap out of the Canucks if JB stupidly said the team was tanking publicly?  They might even take our first rounder away.  I do hope, privately, JB is tanking. I wonder if JB and TL were shocked at how well the team did last season, and maybe a bit pissed about it too - costing them a much higher pick in a very good draft?

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its not the fan base that is holding Jim hostage from doing it...its Francisco Aqualini.  The guy is greedy and wants to make playoffs for the money and revenue.

The guy's not greedy if he's spending to the cap. He's neither generous because he's charging people a pretty high ticket price. The whole "greedy and wants to make money for the playoffs" is silly. The Canucks were most profitable in the playoffs when the team was the undisputed number 1 of the league. Obviously, things have changed since then.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would not the league fine the crap out of the Canucks if JB stupidly said the team was tanking publicly?  They might even take our first rounder away.  I do hope, privately, JB is tanking. I wonder if JB and TL were shocked at how well the team did last season, and maybe a bit pissed about it too - costing them a much higher pick in a very good draft?

There is a difference between using the 'T' word and saying you are understanding you aren't competing for a playoff spot this year.

That's what we are talking about. Only fans use that word.

We will publicly stay in the hunt until we clearly aren't.

From TSN:

":Alphabetically listed, I’d say: Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Columbus, Montreal, Nashville, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Vancouver and Winnipeg, among others. "

" As one Eastern Conference club executive told me: “He’s going to the West unless an Eastern team makes the very best offer.” "

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Best time to trade for Johansen would be at the draft, where we know our position. If we're drafting outside of the top 5, I'd say go ahead and trade that pick plus, one of Gaunce, Jensen, or Cassels to Columbus for Johansen and a 2nd. That of course, Chychrun doesn't fall out of the top 5.

Do you really think a 6th overall or lower pick and a secondary prospect will really entice Columbus to give up Johansen (not to mention adding a 2nd!)? Columbus has to find a way to ice a winning team, not just continually stock the cupboards with prospects who've yet to make an impact and picks.

And that's where the issue is, to answer those who are saying we have to give to get. I wouldn't mind so much if we had to give up Jensen and Vrbata for Drouin, but they surely aren't asking for that. They're asking for our top prospects already making an impact at the NHL level plus other pieces. I'd even consider it if it were a one for one deal, but it's a two or three for one and that doesn't help our team long term for a prospect with potential issues who hasn't achieved much at the NHL level yet.

Johansen does have a better stat line in the NHL than Drouin at least, I can't argue that, but I also have enough concerns over the surrounding issues that giving up more makes me very wary of losing big time in the deal.

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The guy's not greedy if he's spending to the cap. He's neither generous because he's charging people a pretty high ticket price. The whole "greedy and wants to make money for the playoffs" is silly. The Canucks were most profitable in the playoffs when the team was the undisputed number 1 of the league. Obviously, things have changed since then.

This is too obvious math for some people.

He'd make more money by shedding $10-15 mil from the payroll and not making the playoffs than adding 2-3 home dates for revenue.

It's about wanting to keep butts in the seats this season as long as possible... and that is most of the business after all.

7 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:
I'm not familiar with this guy so I can't speak to his credibility, but if it's true, I'd imagine it's a deal revolving around Johansen and Jones.

Keep hearing that trade talks between #CBJ and #Preds have intensified.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Jones.

It could be a package with a guy like Ekholm too.

7 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:
I'm not familiar with this guy so I can't speak to his credibility, but if it's true, I'd imagine it's a deal revolving around Johansen and Jones.

Keep hearing that trade talks between #CBJ and #Preds have intensified.

I expected something like this a while ago, I don't think Jones is the piece leaving Nashville though.  Kinda can't see management letting him go 1-1 for Johansen with his health and supposed attitude issues knowing he might flee after his contract expires and Nashville being a budget cap team

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Give Tampa edler and a 2nd take back Carle and Drouin.

Take it or leave it Stevie

ouch that Carle contract is a stinker 5.5m for 2 seasons more after this the guy has 0g 0a and -6 as his stat line for the season. Not sure Drouin is worth it unless were going for a long rebuild and wasting the final years of the Sedins career. Your usually pretty on point hippy with your posts and I agreed with you for the record (unable to rep point on my computer since the new cdc) that Tampa would have to choke on an underpayment. For me Taking Carle for 2 more seasons  would be a hard pill to swallow.

48 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Do you really think a 6th overall or lower pick and a secondary prospect will really entice Columbus to give up Johansen (not to mention adding a 2nd!)? Columbus has to find a way to ice a winning team, not just continually stock the cupboards with prospects who've yet to make an impact and picks.

And that's where the issue is, to answer those who are saying we have to give to get. I wouldn't mind so much if we had to give up Jensen and Vrbata for Drouin, but they surely aren't asking for that. They're asking for our top prospects already making an impact at the NHL level plus other pieces. I'd even consider it if it were a one for one deal, but it's a two or three for one and that doesn't help our team long term for a prospect with potential issues who hasn't achieved much at the NHL level yet.

Johansen does have a better stat line in the NHL than Drouin at least, I can't argue that, but I also have enough concerns over the surrounding issues that giving up more makes me very wary of losing big time in the deal.

I think you really underestimate how valuable a top 10 pick is to a GM, in a cap era. It's a rare occasion, you'd ever see a top 10 pick being shopped around the league. 

You say Columbus needs to find a way to ice a competitive team? Well, it doesn't help them by benching your franchise centermen, and continuously hiring the wrong coach. Right now, Johansen's value isn't as high as what people think it is. Considering how his coach called him out for being out of shape and lazy.

Just now, hammertime said:

ouch that Carle contract is a stinker 5.5m for 2 seasons more after this the guy has 0g 0a and -6 as his stat line for the season. Not sure Drouin is worth it unless were going for a long rebuild and wasting the final years of the Sedins career. Your usually pretty on point hippy with your posts and I agreed with you for the record (unable to rep point on my computer since the new cdc) that Tampa would have to choke on an underpayment. For me Taking Carle for 2 more seasons  would be a hard pill to swallow.

It's highly unlikely but I keep pointing out that cap space alone is a valuable trade commodity in todays NHL.  With Stamkos rumoured to be leaving maybe taking Carles' contract is the item to facilitate the Drouin trade leaving the Bolts enough money to drown Stammer in making him want to stay for a few more years.

I'd lose Edler/Tanev and an early (not first round) pick in order to eat the Carle contract and obtain Drouin, but I'd be hard pressed to give up on a prospect much better than Grenier/Gaunce in a trade to bring him here knowing how sheltered he's been, his injuries and now his entitled attitude.

I need to reiterate, I think Drouin WILL be a solid player in this league without question and I'd LOVE to get him here but not at what some people are offering for him with said baggage and lack of NHL resume

A lot of people that are more committed to whining and riding contradictions than attempting to understand the real world thinking of a grown-up managing an NHL franchise.

Acquiring these types of players won't assist with a "tank" - if that much isn't obvious enough to some, then you're not thinking a single step into the logic of building a franchise.

These franchises will want comparable young talent - obviously.  Moving young players and futures is not a tanking m.o.   If you think packaging veterans to underachieving teams that are not in playoff positions will land you young talent, you're seriously deluded.  Until you look at the in context needs and possibilities of real franchises, you're wasting your time and posting nonsense.

Most of the names bandied about around here as 'tank' targets to move are veterans that aren't performing up to expectations.  How exactly would dealing them - if they're as bad as some of you perceive - lead to tanking?  The obvious contradiction - if they're so bad - keeping them would be the route to tanking.  You have to move your principle, quality pieces to effectively tank.   That much should also be self-evident - and why this team would want to start dumping it's premier assets into a soft market makes no sense.  One slightly better positioned, higher draft pick does not compensate for the cumulative losses you could take in dumping assets simply for the sake of dumping assets - and premier assets come with cap hits - that playoff teams looking to add for runs will need to send back in some form or another.  Again, relatively simple, transparent stuff conveniently excluded from the dream tank narrative.  

Just tank you dumbass JB!  m. k. kids.

The idea that you can simply lump a handful of veterans into the clearing house is beyond unrealistic - the real market in the NHL defines potential - and it could not care less about the pipe dreams of short-sighted armchairs.

Folks can elect to have some patience and actually endeavour to think about it - or they can whine and ride the contradictions.  In any event, it's gonna be the same ride.

These aren't realistic 'tank' targets.  Expecting to acquire them is one thing - expecting that as part of a course of tanking is nonsense.

Say JB pulls off the pipe dream - lands Drouin for a 2nd or even Chris Higgins and a 2nd lol.

Say Drouin is the dynamic little (primadonna) star a lot of folks here think he is.  (He did not ask for a trade in order to be sent to Utica btw).

Say Drouin steps in and starts lighting up the scoreboard here - per dreamers gon' dream.

Wouldn't that jeopardize the tank - risk a #tank fail ironically?

Tank nation - get your sh!t together and come up with a realistic 'tank plan' - and then get back to us.  Thanks.

Archived