The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sill to face NHL Player Safety for McQuaid hit

poetica

Sill to face NHL Player Safety for McQuaid hit

Washington Capitals veteran Zach Sill will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety on Wednesday for a hit against Boston Bruins defenceman Adam McQuaid.

McQuaid was injured in Tuesday's 3-2 Capitals win when he was checked headfirst into the glass by Sill early in the second period. McQuaid was facing the boards when Sill arrived and the hit drove McQuaid's forehead into the glass.

McQuaid stayed down for several minutes and was helped to the locker room. He did not return and Bruins coach Claude Juliene said didn't have an update on his condition.

Capitals coach Barry Trotz said the hit may have looked bad, but it appeared to be clean.

"That's just a hockey play. Unfortunately McQuaid got hurt," Trotz said after the game. "But that's 100 per cent a hockey play and that was absolutely the right call."

You can see a video of the hit here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/should-capitals-sill-be-suspended-for-hit-on-bruins-mcquaid/

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

didnt raymond break his neck on similar hit by mcquaid. Karmas a mother lol.  Funny how there willbe a suspension on this hockey play.

Difference is Boychuk, not McQuaid didn't hit Raymond from behind...

I share Fraser's opinion that McQuaid knowingly put himself in a vulnerable position and that the hit, though it looks terrible, is not worthy of a suspension, especially in light of the other far more dangerous hits that haven't even gotten a second look from the DoPS this season.

Specifically, Fraser said:

I am very surprised that the department of player safety has scheduled a hearing for Zach Sill, given the circumstances surrounding this play and previous other dangerous and deliberate hits that were deemed unworthy of a review and/or suspension.

While the injury suffered by McQuaid is most unfortunate, I have to say that in large part it was a result of the position the Boston defender put himself in prior to the reasonable and expected contact from Sill.

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-sill-doesn-t-deserve-suspension-1.419020

And I'd bet my rent money that if that exact hit had been by McQuaid on Sill instead of the other way around the Bruins would agree too...

At full speed it looks like sill anticipated a turn to the left up the boards that never occured, he wasn't going that fast and the hit wasn't particularly violent.  2 minute minor for a split second whoops that unfortunately ended poorly. I don't see the merit in a suspension here.

Archived