The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Mike Richards to Washington Capitals

AriGold

49 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Why Quietly? They made a pretty big splash in offseason getting both Oshie and Willams

Ovies always attracting attention

kuznetsov is now doing the same 

and Holtby is playing amazing

they are loud and proud contenders I think 

Quietly because nobody really considered them a threat years past barring Ovie and Backstrom right.  Now though...they've added as you said Oshie Williams and more and as such are more than a 1 name team

14 minutes ago, b3. said:

Heck of a deal even if he can only be half the player he used to be. 

He hasn't been half the player he used to be for years now. He can't skate. This is a low risk signing, 500k for the rest of year. (1mill pro rated) He gives them depth on the 4th line and experience.  

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He can manage 4 lines a game no problem.

lol. I'm sure Caps talked to Justin Williams for some input into this. They want some guys on the team who've been there before, who've won a Cup and that's the reason for this signing. Its the experience and locker room presence more than on ice skill.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This may just be a stop-gap while Beagle's out. They needed a bottom-6 C for the next 5-6 weeks.

If it doesn't work, waive him. No risk here.

Exactly what I said earlier. If it doesn't work out by the trade deadline, waive him. But I think they'll keep him for the playoff run, he can provide depth and there are always injuries in the playoffs. Really no risk, he's making 500k, that's nothing so won't affect Cap much at all.

That WSH team is so good to watch right now. Saw them manhandle the Bruins yesterday. Just schooled them with Orpik and Carlson out on injury. Very impressive. 

Thought potentially Washington could have been a trade partner for Vancouver for depth forward or dmen. It wasn't likely to begin with but with this signing I can't see it at all unless Benning can pull off an insane deal.

This is a decent signing, not sure how strong he is on faceoffs anymore but can probably be decent still as a 4th line guy and potentially on the PK. For how low risk this is for the caps (just a bit of cap) and for a guy that should be highly motivated to get his career going again this could turn out to be a really solid move by the caps

2 hours ago, Brocklovich said:

Thought potentially Washington could have been a trade partner for Vancouver for depth forward or dmen. It wasn't likely to begin with but with this signing I can't see it at all unless Benning can pull off an insane deal.

This is a decent signing, not sure how strong he is on faceoffs anymore but can probably be decent still as a 4th line guy and potentially on the PK. For how low risk this is for the caps (just a bit of cap) and for a guy that should be highly motivated to get his career going again this could turn out to be a really solid move by the caps

I want to see

Hammer/Vrbata/Higgy to Washington

For

Bowey and their 1st this year and we can take back some salary if needed on the Higgy side but it shouldn't be a big issue - other 2 are UFAs and Higgy only 2 mil carries over

Ovie Backstrom Vrbata

Williams Burakovsky Oshie

Burakovsky Johanson Higgins

Chimera Laich Wilson

Richards

Niskanen Alzner

Carlson Hammer

Orlov Chorny

That is deadly team

Archived