The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Mike Richards to Washington Capitals

AriGold

7 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

Risky for the Caps. They are on fire this year. Not sure if it's worth messing with the locker room.

For sure they had a lots of conversation with Justin Williams before making this move. Also Tortz had Tootoo in NSH go thru some issues and Tortz was able to deal with it. Really no risk here. 500k for rest of year, if it doesn't work out they sit him or send him down. Zero risk really and they get a depth 4th line C who has tons of experience. 

9 hours ago, khay said:

A player that hasn't played at the NHL level for nearly a season... not sure why Capitals would need him. 

has he played anywhere this past year ?

is he still a hockey player or only a recent former player who might get back to being a player again ..

how many games will he need? 20? 30?  will he get back to the necessary level at all?

Will be interesting to see him play out east and on an offensively gifted team again.  Nonetheless the caps are certainly doomed to a first, second round exit at best.  They just don't have any clutch players, except Holtby.  I hate to sound like one of those Cherry types, but all those Russians/Euros just don't have the clutch level to get it done in the playoffs.  OV can't play playoff hockey, Nor does he ever seem to have to desire or drive to win that badly.  The Caps may dominate the regular season but most of the eastern teams who'll be in the playoffs will have no problem getting by them.  Like I said Holtby might be able to steal them a series, but that's the best they can hope for with their current core/captain.

Just now, CALGARY! said:

Will be interesting to see him play out east and on an offensively gifted team again.  Nonetheless the caps are certainly doomed to a first, second round exit at best.  They just don't have any clutch players, except Holtby.  I hate to sound like one of those Cherry types, but all those Russians/Euros just don't have the clutch level to get it done in the playoffs.  OV can't play playoff hockey, Nor does he ever seem to have to desire or drive to win that badly.  The Caps may dominate the regular season but most of the eastern teams who'll be in the playoffs will have no problem getting by them.  Like I said Holtby might be able to steal them a series, but that's the best they can hope for with their current core/captain.

What?  Which continent are Kopitar, Chara, and Lidstrom from?  Did they lead their teams to Cups?

He'll probably practice with the team a couple of days then get sent to the Hershey Bears for a conditioning stint before making the Caps on the 4th line. 

His skating is going to be the biggest challenge. Not easy to step in when everyone else is peaking mid way thru the season. He was struggling on his skates for the past couple of years in LA hence the demotion to 4th line and the minors. It's going to be tough for him to catch up but if he can manage a 4th line role this will be good for him and the Caps.

Go Caps.

4 hours ago, CALGARY! said:

Love this post. This guy has absolutely no clue what he's talking about but wrote a whole paragraph on the subject. 

Capitals are the best defensive team in the NHL this year. Backstrom is one of the best 2way Centers in the NHL, Justin Williams may be the most clutch player in the history of the NHL. Look him up because I'm sure you've never heard of him.

NO player can win a Cup on his own. How many did Gretzky win after Edmonton?

OV is top 5 in hits since he's been in the NHL and 1st in goals. You don't do what he's done without having desire to win. 

It's a team sport, if you don't have the team you don't win. Capitals finally have a deep, 4 line team that plays a very heavy, defense first hockey. They have a great goalie, they have legit 1C and 2C for the first time, they have quality and depth at D. Nothing is guaranteed but this is a team ready to make a deep run. 

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

?? What do you mean??

Richard was a king this year and part way through season he is no longer a king and a couple months later he signs with other team. 

Very huge contrast from JB saying we have control over virtanen's time when hes on the big club. 

So vancouver can see andguide virtanen but LA has no idea that their players have substance abuse problems and are okay'd to remove someone from their cap. 

7 hours ago, John Tortorella said:

Richard was a king this year and part way through season he is no longer a king and a couple months later he signs with other team. 

Very huge contrast from JB saying we have control over virtanen's time when hes on the big club. 

So vancouver can see andguide virtanen but LA has no idea that their players have substance abuse problems and are okay'd to remove someone from their cap. 

He, was bought out. When a player is bought out his cap hit to the team that bought him out doesn't go away if he signs with a new team. LA still has to cover his buyout cap hit for years to come, and pay him buyout $.

His situation was unique because of his pending drug charges. THe NHL and NHLPA came to an agreement after LA tried to terminate his contract. 

I'm not sure what Virtanen has anything to do with Richards being bought out and his cap hit.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

He, was bought out. When a player is bought out his cap hit to the team that bought him out doesn't go away if he signs with a new team. LA still has to cover his buyout cap hit for years to come, and pay him buyout $.

His situation was unique because of his pending drug charges. THe NHL and NHLPA came to an agreement after LA tried to terminate his contract. 

I'm not sure what Virtanen has anything to do with Richards being bought out and his cap hit.

Virtanen: jb saying why virtanen was coming back to canucks instead of juniors is that the canucks can monitor and control his daily activities

1 minute ago, John Tortorella said:

Virtanen: jb saying why virtanen was coming back to canucks instead of juniors is that the canucks can monitor and control his daily activities

Viranen is a baby compared to Richards. Virtanen is 19 while RIchards is a 10 year veteran who's won 2 Stanley Cups, Calder Cup, Memorial Cup, WJC, WC, Olympics....... 

You don't monitor 10 year star players who've won everything there is to win, to make sure they're eating their wheaties. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Viranen is a baby compared to Richards. Virtanen is 19 while RIchards is a 10 year veteran who's won 2 Stanley Cups, Calder Cup, Memorial Cup, WJC, WC, Olympics....... 

You don't monitor 10 year star players who've won everything there is to win, to make sure they're eating their wheaties. 

Weird. I see why he got demoted then. If i paid a guy millions to play id want to know his general schedule, sleep amount, dietary intake, exercise, drug/alcohol intake. 

Or perhaps thats the responsible accountant in me. Hes an asset that you have to maintain, you maintain and track things owning a car, but its to much for professional athletes? Gotcha. 

1 minute ago, John Tortorella said:

Weird. I see why he got demoted then. If i paid a guy millions to play id want to know his general schedule, sleep amount, dietary intake, exercise, drug/alcohol intake. 

Or perhaps thats the responsible accountant in me. Hes an asset that you have to maintain, you maintain and track things owning a car, but its to much for professional athletes? Gotcha. 

NO, you don't get to know the "general schedule" of the hockey players on your team. They're not little kids in kindergarten, they're adults.

They go thru seminars teaching them about rest and diet etc. and they've been going thru those since a young age, but no, they don't report their schedule to the team.

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

NO, you don't get to know the "general schedule" of the hockey players on your team. They're not little kids in kindergarten, they're adults.

They go thru seminars teaching them about rest and diet etc. and they've been going thru those since a young age, but no, they don't report their schedule to the team.

OKAY lol. Thanks for your NHL insider information. Confused why we hired sleep consultants then but hey you seem to work for canucks or nhl so guess it was to test something unrelated to a players sleep schedule. 

2 minutes ago, John Tortorella said:

OKAY lol. Thanks for your NHL insider information. Confused why we hired sleep consultants then but hey you seem to work for canucks or nhl so guess it was to test something unrelated to a players sleep schedule. 

Sleep consultant doesn't mean secretary for each player to track their schedule does it?

Didn't I say in my post above they have seminars for diet and rest etc.?? Sleep consultant is exactly that, a consultant. They go thru the team's schedule and advise the team when to travel home after a road game and when to just stay in the city and sleep in a hotel? They go thru the schedule and manage travel and rest for the team. When a person is sleeping he wears a watch and they can give you advice on sleeping patterns, they monitor how much REM sleep you had vs how many hours you spent in bed. 

Teams may have curfews on the road, but those are team rules, NHL players don't report their daily schedule to their team, that's just silly. 

What are you 12 years old? 

22 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Sleep consultant doesn't mean secretary for each player to track their schedule does it?

Didn't I say in my post above they have seminars for diet and rest etc.?? Sleep consultant is exactly that, a consultant. They go thru the team's schedule and advise the team when to travel home after a road game and when to just stay in the city and sleep in a hotel? They go thru the schedule and manage travel and rest for the team. When a person is sleeping he wears a watch and they can give you advice on sleeping patterns, they monitor how much REM sleep you had vs how many hours you spent in bed. 

Teams may have curfews on the road, but those are team rules, NHL players don't report their daily schedule to their team, that's just silly. 

What are you 12 years old? 

Double your age divided by 2

On January 8, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Alflives said:

What?  Which continent are Kopitar, Chara, and Lidstrom from?  Did they lead their teams to Cups?

I wasn't referring only to their Captain, but rather the fact that the majority of their key players are also Euros, which again isn't a bad thing, I just haven't seen them play any good in the playoffs.  Chara and Lidsrom sure we're great Euro leaders, and OV is nowhere near on their level in the playoffs, OV sucks in the playoffs plain and simple, and I haven't seen anything noteworthy from the rest of their roster in last years playoffs.  As mentioned, I highly doubt they make any real noise in the playoffs, 2nd round max. 

Archived