The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Zach Sill suspended 2 games

1 minute ago, Hugor Hill said:

Kerry Fraser on TSN said he shouldn't be suspended.

Kerry Fraser *still* has great hair. I saw him this summer... that golden flow is still rocking it.

Anybody with hair like that has to be right.

Interesting, given the hits that they've let pass without even a second look.

I just hope (this time) that they'll apply this rule evenly, and not return to the "you can't put yourself in a vulnerable position" stance they've had previously with other hits.

I'd understand thinking this wasn't illegal if Boychuck had turned his back just prior to the hit, but he didn't. If Sill had a different angle, or had tried the bear hug approach he would have been fine. Not as sure on how consistent the punishments are that have been handed out, but I agree it's illegal.

What was the extent of McQuaid's injury anyway? Maybe that justifies (I know, I hate that reasoning too) the 2 games?

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I watched this game yesterday. Bruins announcers were livid that it wasn't a 5 min major. I watched the replay several times, Boychuk turned when he saw Sill coming. 

This was a stupid suspension, the guy turned, simple as that.

His back was facing Sill the whole time and it was McQuaid, Boychuk plays for the Islanders.

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

His back was facing Sill the whole time and it was McQuaid, Boychuk plays for the Islanders.

He certainly saw he had pressure coming but I agree that the rules allow that he can maintain that position and not expect a hit in the numbers. It's still an illegal hit whether he knew a player was coming behind him or not.

Hi. Tuesday night in Boston...as the video shows this is Boston and an illegal hit as Boston is ineligible to be checked.  This is an illegal his this is Boston and the player has no history of illegal hits.  (Unless it IS Boston) In that case Brad Marchand gets - 2 games for having a history of illegal hits but we owe him one for making him miss the Winter Classic.  The Department of Player safety has renamed itself the Department of Boston Defence and has suspended Zach Sill for Boston.

Archived