The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade D Seth Jones to Columbus for F Ryan Johansen

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Aren't you a bit surprised RJ returned Jones?  I know I am kind of stunned.

Personally I would have thought Nashville would have had to pay Jones plus.

Johansen had over 70 points last year, over 30 goals the year before.

But opinions, even among experts, are all over the place on this...

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Personally I would have thought Nashville would have had to pay Jones plus.

Johansen had over 70 points last year, over 30 goals the year before.

But opinions, even among experts, are all over the place on this...

I think its a fair trade that targets both teams needs.

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

Our first round pick is pretty close to that value, especially if it's in the top 6.

But of course, Canucks fans would never make that trade.

No its not. Jones has already been developing in one of, if not, the best systems for developing top end defensemen in the entire league, for years. Our pick, unless its the 1st overall, isnt anywhere close to that. Especially not right now when teams have no idea where our pick will even be. 

6 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

People that are pencilling the Preds as Cup contenders need to settle down a bit. Sure they got some more offense but they gave up one of the best young upcoming defenders in the world for an underperforming centre in Johansen. Risk is on Preds for them to make sure/hope Johansen gets back to his old form and doesn't continue being sluggish like he has been this year. 

Don't know if it's Johansen or Torts but we'll see. Though I would expect Johansen to pick it up under an offensive coach in Laviolette and help give the Preds some much needed offensive boost.

I was waiting for the realistic take on the situation.

4 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

Fair trade. Canucks just have no blue choppers to trade in fact they should be offloading players but benning is too proud. Brilliant strategy 

Man, if I had a blue chopper, I'd be flying that thing all around the world. I would never trade it.

Seth Jones would have been a perfect fit for the Canucks.

Big strong defenseman to anchor our 1/2 pair.

But we just didn't have the center ice juice to offer Nashville.

Closest we have is Sutter, but his value has diminished because of his injury.

Nashville wants to be a contender NOW, and they wanted scoring punch.

Here's one thing though... Columbus is going to be offloading one of their current defensemen to acquire more scoring.

Vrbata could be trade bait.

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The silver lining is that Jones isn't going to Edmonton.

Yes!!!! Also, yeah, I think Seth Jones is going to make Columbus's offense better. I remember Bieksa saying he loved Torts' system because he could jump into the play whenever. He said he had a "Flashing green light". AV also liked that, but wanted people to pick their spots better instead of an all out fore check. Torts is going to absolutely love Seth Jones!!!

18 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The silver lining is that Jones isn't going to Edmonton.

I bet PC offered RNH for Jones. But NSH pbbly thought RJ was further developed and more suited for a playoff run. In the long run RNH has a higher ceiling but RJ is bigger and stronger, better for a playoff push in the West. 

I would have loved to see Jones in Edmonton. It's not like we're going to be competing with them for the next 5 years. Edmonton's rebuild is almost complete whereas we're just starting ours. Would have improved the Edmonton team quite a bit to get a Dman like Jones on the club.

Archived