The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade D Seth Jones to Columbus for F Ryan Johansen

16 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Columbus making the best out of a crappy situation. 

I am a firm believer in building from the back. On average it takes a Dman 8 years from his draft year to reach his full potential. Imagine what a 28 year old Seth Jones and a 25 year old Mathews will look like.

i would give the edge to Columbus. 

People are calling the Preds Stanley cup champions for picking up a struggling player? Pete Lavs ain't no easy coach to play for. We will see if he can adapt.  

Excellent post.

People on CDC think Canucks are going to draft a couple of top 5 picks and be contenders in a year or 2. I've been saying over and over that for a player to be drafted at 18 and then to develop into a difference maker takes several years. It's longer for a Dman than forward. And either case its 6+ years. 

Wish more people who know this would post this because the hockey IQ on CDD is getting lower by the post. 

28 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hard to think of a historical precedent for this good ol' blockbuster.

Was it Shanny for Pronger(or stevens)?..old age is kickin' in.

Shanny for Pronger, I remember that trade, Like I said earlier in this thread this trade is something we'll be talking about 10 years from now. 

1C for 1D, both teams fill a need. Great trade. 

WOW!

It did Happen.  I am shocked and I will eat my words indeed as I did not think Poille would do a 1-1 trade with a guy with possible attitude and health issues for Jones.  I expected Ekholm + or even Weber but nto Jones.

Absolutely stunned.  Drouin And Yzerman start pouting...Jones has been 3 times the impact player and you're not getting that return

23 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Now CBJ could use a center (Jenner's surely not #1 yet), I'd love Murray or Savard. Jones in on the right side pushes Savard down. He's 25, righty, big and strong. Murray is obviously more of a puck mover.

Would probably cost a McCann/Horvat for one of those guys plus a pick though.

I'd say it allows them to use Dubinsky and Jenner in the top 6, with Wennberg pushing a bit as well now. I do wonder if this affects their evaluation on Murray though to where they might consider moving him, or if he's still too important to their left side.

Good deal for both team:  Forsberg - RyJo - Fiala is going to be fun to watch and all three are still so young.

I'm now kind of interested to see how Granberg does as I assume he draws in.  Did Toronto make the right choice to waive him for Corrado?  

5 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

how come when other teams need a top center or defenceman they get it done :(

Well, when you have an asset you need to move who has high value it sure makes it easier.

7 minutes ago, theminister said:

Murray for RNH would make sense. 

Maybe. Of course I would have preferred if it would be to us instead, with us moving Edler to the Islanders for Hamonic as well, but I'll come back to reality now.

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I think we are the biggest winners of this trade. Imagine what trader Jim woulda gave up for either of these players. 

Tanev ++ or Horvat ++

8 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

how come when other teams need a top center or defenceman they get it done :(

Because other teams have not been drafting in the bottom 10 during draft day for nearly a decade, or have kept and or stockpiled all their picks while developing them and not trading them for rental assets or in bad trades.

Sad to say we were never in the same league as at least 5 to 7 other teams who would have been in on this imo

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Impressive list. Perhaps CBJ deals one(Murray) to Edm for offense?

Almost appears too much of a good thing.

You can never have too many top pairing defenders.

Because one day when your almost a contender, but lacking that true #1 C or power forward.  You'll have multiple top pairing Dmen that teams will pay a premium for. 

Archived