The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Linden Vey still here?

Mattrek

Why is Linden Vey still here when he is not listed on the roster? He doesn't fit the criteria of an emergency call-up so he should be on the active roster shouldn't he?

I remember back in the day fans would yell "Shoot" whenever Steve Smith would touch the puck in his own zone. Thankfully Vey didn't score an own goal against a division rival or he would probably be subjected to that as well.

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

Why is Linden Vey still here when he is not listed on the roster? He doesn't fit the criteria of an emergency call-up so he should be on the active roster shouldn't he?

I remember back in the day fans would yell "Shoot" whenever Steve Smith would touch the puck in his own zone. Thankfully Vey didn't score an own goal against a division rival or he would probably be subjected to that as well.

he,s not on either lol  what does it mean ? i know he,s not a big guy  hahahha

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Your post is pathetic.

Watch a close up of the Vey goal and see it's the contact from the opponents stick that caused Vey's stick to increase momentum on the puck. He was trying to take it away not fire it into the net. Mistakes happen, but I suppose people like you need a scapegoat

Actually there was no opponent anywhere near Vey. It was Biega that swung at (and missed) the puck but got Vey's stick. But they like Biega so it's not his fault. lol

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are a bottom team really.  And bottom teams have some fringe NHL players.  That's why Vey is with us.

I'm gonna disagree with this stance on our team.. although the Canucks have been anything but top end this season, they are not a *bottom team*..

The reason why I wouldn't classify this team as bottom end are because we have, by all accounts, two very capable goaltenders and demko ripping it up in juniors, a very capable and potentially excellent group of up and coming forwards, and some great players on D in Tanev and Hutton.  Not to mention the Sedins who are still hanging in there amongst the top scorers in the league.

No question,  we have plenty of room for improvements, but based on the above alone I'd argue we do not qualify as a bottom feeder. 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:33 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't mind him in the lineup as a stopgap.  Gives him one last chance to show if he's worth anything.

But his power play time could be used to develop or build the confidence of McCann, Virtanen, etc.

I'd be all for Vey on the PP if he had earned it with his play and it was a message that this team is a meritocracy, but 2 points in 7 games doesn't scream "belongs on the PP."

Hes a better player than the on paper stats would suggest. Hes been geling quite well with Etem, and Etem has been entertaining. Give it time..

Isn't it a little ridiculous to entertain the idea that WD will let Vey keep the 3C role when Henrik and Sutter get back just because he has good chemistry with Etem and Burrows? There's no question that Henrik belongs on the top line with Daniel and that Sutter is an upgrade over Vey in every way. 

If anything, Vey and McCann could possible rotate in and out for 4C. 

6 hours ago, Clonedanielsedin said:

Hes a decent depth player who is still young and a small cap hit. I don't see the problem. Next year he can try to make the team again but they won't let him take a spot from higher potential prospects. He's an ideal two-way contract for the time being.

He is on a one-way contract.  He gets paid 1M regardless of where he plays. 

He is an RFA at the end of the year - how does QO work?  Do they have to offer him a one-way?  They might be reluctant to do that if they don't think he can keep a regular roster spot but see him more as a call-up option.  They might prefer a Weber type of situation where they negotiate a contract as a UFA instead of qualifying him.  Biega/O'Reilly were the high paid players in Utica at around 300-350K so 1M in Utica is a bit steep.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are a bottom team really.  And bottom teams have some fringe NHL players.  That's why Vey is with us.

Still no respecter of circumstances I see Alf. Let me help you.

We are an injury blighted, young team with an outside chance of a playoff spot and showing signs of playing a very attractive speed/skill game despite only being just over half a season into our rebuild. (likely to take another 1-2 years)

Vey has been an important factor in providing us with an effective 3rd line despite being only 24 years of age and as such will be a vital component imo going forward.

Since Vey came into the team we have gone 8-5-2, the previous 15 were 5-8-2

11 hours ago, Baggins said:

Actually there was no opponent anywhere near Vey. It was Biega that swung at (and missed) the puck but got Vey's stick. But they like Biega so it's not his fault. lol

Good spot Baggins. I wasn't entirely sure who's stick it was but I I felt it affected the outcome.

Surely the point is though, that Vey is taking unfair stick on here in the same way most if not all of us complained Virtanen was subjected to in the World Juniors.

You can't heap a defeat onto one (or two) player's "mistakes/misfortunes" when it is a team game. If we start doing that we have to criticise our forwards who missed the many goal opportunities they fluffed on.

Frankly I was too pleased with our overall performance, skill, speed and compete to even dwell on the misfortunes. If we can just be more ruthless when in on goal many of our opponents will be buried long before the 3rd period.

Anyway, I can't wait for our next game based on that performance.

29 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Good spot Baggins. I wasn't entirely sure who's stick it was but I I felt it affected the outcome.

Surely the point is though, that Vey is taking unfair stick on here in the same way most if not all of us complained Virtanen was subjected to in the World Juniors.

You can't heap a defeat onto one (or two) player's "mistakes/misfortunes" when it is a team game. If we start doing that we have to criticise our forwards who missed the many goal opportunities they fluffed on.

Frankly I was too pleased with our overall performance, skill, speed and compete to even dwell on the misfortunes. If we can just be more ruthless when in on goal many of our opponents will be buried long before the 3rd period.

Anyway, I can't wait for our next game based on that performance.

Totally agree. Great game tenacity, will, effort etc. Wonderful to see the team battle hard. Best part is, a fair few of the players will only improve.

Think most people will accept defeat, if this is the effort put into the games. Transition seems to be going ok.

11 hours ago, RyIe said:

Isn't it a little ridiculous to entertain the idea that WD will let Vey keep the 3C role when Henrik and Sutter get back just because he has good chemistry with Etem and Burrows? There's no question that Henrik belongs on the top line with Daniel and that Sutter is an upgrade over Vey in every way. 

If anything, Vey and McCann could possible rotate in and out for 4C. 

I'm leaning this way myself.  When all the centres are healthy, Vey would be the 6th centre in this line up.  BUT he is playing well enough and showing chemistry with Etem.  I don't think he gets sent down but they keep him around as a spare forward.  Since he has played more than 10 games, he would have to clear waivers again.

Here's why, if Benning shops Vrbata over the next month, they're going to need him because Hansen would slot in at 2RW and Burrows at 3RW.  Vey would be the only spare.

Sub him in when McCann has his off nights and also, he could slot for Cracknell when they play teams who are faster and less physiclal.

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Baertschi Horvat (Vrbata) (Hansen)

Etem McCann (Hansen)(Burrows)

Dorsett Cracknell Virtanen

Vey Burrows

Short term.  Sutter helps Hank who has been struggling on the dot.  Horvat, has emerged through some painful months as the player we thought he would be at the end of last year and following camp this year, as being capable, even a threat at 2C.  With Hansen at 2RW and Burrows at 3RW, we don't even miss Vrbata.

Long term.  They're going to have to add a RW.  If this comes from within the system, it means that Sutter and Hansen play top 6.  Virtanen plays 3RW, Dorsett plays 4RW and Ganuce plays 4LW (that could work).  Burrows is a big ??? 

I am really curious and I know this is barely related to Vey, but what is the love affair with Etem?

He really hasn't shown superior speed, he doesn't hit more than Vey, he isn't a premier shot blocker, just what makes him so special?

Vey stats are very poor, shots on goal, assists for time on ice, credited with 2, TWO hits,

IMO both are just taking up rosters spots that might have been used by Guance and Shinkaruk or other AHL prospects to see what the team has got.

36 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I am really curious and I know this is barely related to Vey, but what is the love affair with Etem?

He really hasn't shown superior speed, he doesn't hit more than Vey, he isn't a premier shot blocker, just what makes him so special?

Vey stats are very poor, shots on goal, assists for time on ice, created with 2, TWO hits,

IMO both are just taking up rosters spots that might have been used by Guance and Shinkaruk or other AHL prospects to see what the team has got.

Yeah, and Vey is not a young guy. He is 24. Been around a while. It really bugs me that he has solidified a position on the Canucks.

52 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Vey stats are very poor, shots on goal, assists for time on ice, created with 2, TWO hits,

13 minutes ago, snucks said:

Yeah, and Vey is not a young guy. He is 24. Been around a while. It really bugs me that he has solidified a position on the Canucks.

hold up... Vey has played 15 games and has 6 points at a -2... if you want to get a comparing contest then McCann at 44games and 12 points and a +/- 0 are even worse...

Etem has shown speed mainly with good fore-checking skills speed is used for more than just breakaways afterall... I'm not saying these guys are OR will be amazing but they are young, yes 24 is still young, and as long as they are trending in the right direction then I'm happy. Baertschi for example had a lot of people that gave up on him when he did nothing at the start of the season but look how well he is rolling now. Sometimes players just click on the light-bulb and play consistent and good hockey.

Another thing to note is that a lineup requires more than just top 6 players, so if Vey // Etem become good 3rd liners than that would be a successful use for a 2nd rounder.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I'm leaning this way myself.  When all the centres are healthy, Vey would be the 6th centre in this line up.  BUT he is playing well enough and showing chemistry with Etem.  I don't think he gets sent down but they keep him around as a spare forward.  Since he has played more than 10 games, he would have to clear waivers again.

Here's why, if Benning shops Vrbata over the next month, they're going to need him because Hansen would slot in at 2RW and Burrows at 3RW.  Vey would be the only spare.

Sub him in when McCann has his off nights and also, he could slot for Cracknell when they play teams who are faster and less physiclal.

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Baertschi Horvat (Vrbata) (Hansen)

Etem McCann (Hansen)(Burrows)

Dorsett Cracknell Virtanen

Vey Burrows

Short term.  Sutter helps Hank who has been struggling on the dot.  Horvat, has emerged through some painful months as the player we thought he would be at the end of last year and following camp this year, as being capable, even a threat at 2C.  With Hansen at 2RW and Burrows at 3RW, we don't even miss Vrbata.

Long term.  They're going to have to add a RW.  If this comes from within the system, it means that Sutter and Hansen play top 6.  Virtanen plays 3RW, Dorsett plays 4RW and Ganuce plays 4LW (that could work).  Burrows is a big ??? 

Or more likely, Vey stays on the third line, since that has been our second best line (best if you include +/-) since we acquired Etem. Somebody else noted this, since Vey's recall the team is 8-4-3, which includes this very successful road trip, much of it without our best player. In the 15 games prior to Vey's recall, the team was 5-7-3. Our faceoff percentage has also steadily improved since his return. Vey is a very useful player, he plays a responsible 200 foot game with a high hockey IQ and creativity. He can play PP and PK minutes without looking out of place, and is good on the dot, according to the SN crew, best in the 7 games prior to Pittsburgh, and faced Bergeron in the final 30 seconds in Boston, and set up Daniel's clincher.

Yes we didn't draft him, but he is much better than he was last year. He is here because TG (who would have a lot of input) and JB thought he was the most ready for the role he's playing. More ready than any of the other centers in Utica. Before he got hurt in Utica, Vey was centering Shink, so some of his success is thanks to Vey.

Isn't it a hint to you Gaunce fan boys that not only was Vey more ready to be here, but so was Zalewski. Our management knows what they're doing! With another off-season to get even stronger and continue to improve, Vey will be a fixture. JB traded for Vey. I'm sure WD had some input, but JB saw something worth spending a 2nd round pick on. Vey had great success in JR and in the A.

Vey stays on the 3rd line, Jared, Dorsett, Jake and Zalewski rotate on the 4th line. Cracknell will clear waivers, and go to Utica where he was intended to be at the start of the season. Or Cracknell stays and Zalewski returns to Utica.

Archived