The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Linden Vey still here?

Mattrek

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

He's starting to look good out there, it's amazing what giving a young guy playing time can do.

Maybe you hadn't noticed, but most of CDC was upset at just how much playing time Vey was getting and how little he was doing with it last year. While he is showing some promise now let's not kid ourselves into thinking all he needed was more playing time to improve.

1 hour ago, Mattrek said:

Maybe you hadn't noticed, but most of CDC was upset at just how much playing time Vey was getting and how little he was doing with it last year. While he is showing some promise now let's not kid ourselves into thinking all he needed was more playing time to improve.

It seems more a case of the weight of expectations being lifted has freed him to do his thing on the ice maybe. We can hope.

Vey has been great his last 3-4 games, he's not getting knocked off the puck as much and has been showing the playmaking ability he had in junior. At this moment he has earned the ice time he is getting, it's to bad because of the numbers that he will go back to Utica but I think he will come back next year even better. Prust, Dorcett, Burrows, Weber & Higgins on the other hand.......

1 minute ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Vey has been great his last 3-4 games, he's not getting knocked off the puck as much and has been showing the playmaking ability he had in junior. At this moment he has earned the ice time he is getting, it's to bad because of the numbers that he will go back to Utica but I think he will come back next year even better. Prust, Dorcett, Burrows, Weber & Higgins on the other hand.......

Dorsett will be back. Prust probably gone by the TDD. Weber may not resign here, and Higgins, well, he's got his own thread about being traded. He's either going to be waived and go down to Utica, or he's going to be traded to another NHL team, for whatever we can get for him. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Dorsett will be back. Prust probably gone by the TDD. Weber may not resign here, and Higgins, well, he's got his own thread about being traded. He's either going to be waived and go down to Utica, or he's going to be traded to another NHL team, for whatever we can get for him. 

Out of all those guys I like Dorcett the most, but not at him playing the most minutes every game. I dream of the day Weber is gone..

8 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Out of all those guys I like Dorcett the most, but not at him playing the most minutes every game. I dream of the day Weber is gone..

Isn't Weber a UFA after this season? Probably won't be back. Pedan should be taking his place in the line up. 

Embarrassment of riches maybe?

IMO, Vey will center Shinkaruk and Etem and give the team an alternative second line alongside Baer/Bo/Virt for next season and beyond. Sutter will resume his role as the Twins' right winger/alternate face-off man.  McCann being groomed for eventual top center replacement?

We have a glut of left wingers int he system, and a paucity of rights - so much so that our eventual shut down center (Cassels) is currently playing right wing in Utica.  Vey isn't a shut down guy, or a 4th line center, has a high "IQ" so that's why he'll be re-united with his MH wingers (although WD was coy about agreeing that Etem would immediately be put with Vey against Florida for his debut .... maybe start with the twins, as did Jake last game?)

Then Hansen, genuine right winger .. 4th line again, with Dorsett, Grenier, Gaunce et al? I'd like to see Cracknell retained next season, but at the expense of whom?  And where does Burrows fit?

Vey is a decent hockey player. He's playing serviceable minutes on a team that lacks depth and has injuries.

The problem is, if you want a contending team, this is not a good enough player to center any of the 4 lines. You want a player a little bit better. 

Sure he's good enough to play in the NHL, but that isn't good enough for us to get where we want to go. He'll do for now, but we need to get mild to major upgrades in more than a few slots in our line-up to succeed. 

He's a third line center on a middling to poor team. We need a third line center for a Stanley Cup contender level. Maybe not this year, but in the next 2-3. It's unlikely that Linden will be it. 

7 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

He's starting to look good out there, it's amazing what giving a young guy playing time can do.

He has not been "given" it he has earned it. Just giving young guys playing time doesn't do them any good they have to figure out what they need to do, how they need to play and then go out and prove it. Once they do that, the coach is able to trust and reward them with more time.

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

[...]

Then Hansen, genuine right winger .. 4th line again, with Dorsett, Grenier, Gaunce et al? I'd like to see Cracknell retained next season, but at the expense of whom?  And where does Burrows fit?

Cracknell might not even be retained beyond this month.  Looks more and more like Vey might have claimed his spot - he was between Etem and Virtanen at practice while Cracknell was the odd man out with McCann back in.  It will be Vey 9th game and after the 10th he will require waivers like Cracknell.

Moving Higgins will allow Hansen to come off IR but there still needs a spot to be made for Sutter and he's apparently less than a week from practicing with the team so a return later this month might not be unrealistic.  Virtanen is staying with the team so unless Prust gets traded well ahead of the TDL it would seem to be between Vey and Cracknell for the last spot.

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

He has not been "given" it he has earned it. Just giving young guys playing time doesn't do them any good they have to figure out what they need to do, how they need to play and then go out and prove it. Once they do that, the coach is able to trust and reward them with more time.

Far to often the young players on this team alternate between the pressbox and being given 7-8 minutes a night , usually in the the 1st period and with the plugs on the 4th line. Its hard for anyone to prove anything under those circumstances. Just ask Cracknall or McCann. Vey got put on the 3rd line based on experience from last year, initially more than he deserved, but he has since earned his playing time. 

People gave up on Baertschi on the first part of the season as well... Not saying Vey is a sure thing or not but he's been playing better and making smart defensive plays. Let him play, he probably gets claimed on waiver from the leafs anyways lol.

7 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Far to often the young players on this team alternate between the pressbox and being given 7-8 minutes a night , usually in the the 1st period and with the plugs on the 4th line. Its hard for anyone to prove anything under those circumstances. Just ask Cracknall or McCann. Vey got put on the 3rd line based on experience from last year, initially more than he deserved, but he has since earned his playing time. 

I don't agree with your first statement. There was no alternating as far as I could see, just green rookies being time managed in order to prevent injury, fatigue and loss of confidence. And it has worked.

As for Vey, Willie knows how to get the best out of him, that's all. And that too has worked.

Has to get stronger, and work on his skating and faceoffs. He does have good vision and hands, if he can just win a few more battles and create space for himself, that natural talent will take over from there.

He's got to put in the work though. That's the difference between being a Kyle Wellwood and a guy like Matt Cullen.

1 hour ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Getting outplayed by McCann and Cracknell in preseason, being put in waivers and being sent down to Utica gave Vey the wake up call that was needed.  I was hard on Vey last year as he did not show much, but he is definitely much improved this year.

Yeah, I also think he has finally adjusted to the weight he put on in the offseason.  I think he has done well enough to have this thread closed.

Archived