The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grade the Canucks! Halfway Point of the Season.

HC20.0

Are you satisfied with Vancouver so far?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, we're halfway done the year now. Currently, we sit at a 16-16-9, 20th in the league, yet somehow, somehow, we are in a playoff spot, sitting third in the pacific. Of course, this is because the Pacific division is HORRIBLE, but minor details. Been a weird season to be sure, but it's halfway gone now. How would you grade the roster? What was the best game so far this year? The worst? Best player? Biggest surprise? One area you'd improve?

I'll start. I'm only going to grade players who've played 15+ games. So no Vey, Pedan, Gaunce, Shink, etc.

Grades:

D. Sedin(A+)-H.Sedin(A)-Hansen(A)

Baertschi(B)-Horvat(C+)-Vrbata(C-)

Higgins(F)-McCann(B-)-Burrows(D-)

Prust(D+)-Cracknell(C)-Dorsett(C)

Sutter(B+), Virtanen(D+)

Edler(C-)-Tanev(B)

Hutton(A)-Weber(F)

Bartkowski(D-)-Sbisa(B+)

Hamhuis(C-)-Biega(B)

Miller(C-)

Markstrom(B+)

Forwards: The top line has been exceptional this year. The Sedin's and Hansen are dynamite. Unfortunately, the rest of the group has not performed well. Baertschi gets a B because he's made a remarkable turnaround from the beginning of the year, and not just because he's scoring. He is a completely different guy out there. Horvat gets a C+ for that reason too. At the first quarter, both of their marks would have been a lot lower. McCann has transitioned well to the NHL, but is mired in a drought right now. Burrows and Higgins have been the worst forwards by a country mile. Vrbata has scored in patches, but has been a pretty big disappointment this year after his success last season. Virtanen I just do not think is NHL ready yet. I think spending the rest of the year in Junior would be good for him.

Defense: Hoo boy, this is where it gets fun. As a whole, the D has vastly under performed, or performed on par. I'm really not sure which. Edler narrowly avoids a D because he's putting up points, as well as he's had a decent last couple of weeks. Tanev as always is sharp defensively. Hutton is an A, because he's playing like a top 4 out there, and he's a rookie for crying out loud. Man this kid is so good! Weber.... Ugh. Bartkowski, again, ugh. Hamhuis has clearly lost a step in his game, he is not the player he once was at all. Biega, man he has been a great addition from Utica. I hope he's here permanently. 

Goaltending: Miller, I'm not sure if he's bad, or if it's the D in front of him. Some games he was the one holding us in it, others he was just terrible. Markstrom has been a great surprise. Unfortunately the team gives him no support. But he's been playing very well.

How would you grade the roster? As a whole, D+. We really should not be anywhere near a playoff spot.

What was the best game so far this year? The Oilers OT win, That was hard fought, and I'm always happy to stick it to Edmonton.

The worst? 6-2 Thrashing against Minnesota. Nobody not named Sedin showed up for that one. Terrible game, start to finish.

Best player? Daniel Sedin, easy. What a year for him. :)

Biggest surprise? Ben Hutton. WHEN DID WE GET THIS KID? Holy crap, we might just have the steal of the whole 2012 draft here guys!

One area you'd improve? DEFENSE! The PP is a close second, but there are way too many defensive errors out there. It's costing us.

If the season ends today we would be playing the yotes in the Stanley cup playoffs. 

100% of the so called hockey experts projected us to finish at the bottom of the standings. 

I would say, we have exceeded everyone's expectations. 

Grades:

Baertschi(C+)-Horvat(C+)-Vrbata(C)

Higgins(F)-McCann(C+)-Burrows(C)

Prust(D+)-Cracknell(B-)-Dorsett(C)

Sutter(B+), Virtanen(D)

Edler(B-)-Tanev(B+)

Hutton(B+)-Weber(F)

Bartkowski(C)-Sbisa(B)

Hamhuis(B)-Biega(B+)

Pedan (B+)

Miller(B-)

Markstrom(B+)

Clearly the grades are based on 'expectations vs achievement' . Ie each player is being evaluated against their own experience and abilities. I think the OP was a bit harsh on some players. In particular Edler and Hammer who actually have played quite well and have to face the toughest offensive players night in night out - this is not easy.

When you look at their stats, their (+/-) I don't think Hammer and Edler are as bad as he thinks and we can certainly see the impact when they are out of the lineup.

Same goes for miller. Playing behind a group that was not playing well defensively is not his fault, and indeed many of the games early in the year that we won were a direct result of his fine play.

Injuries have been a big factor in our position in the standings thus far. We were highly competitive with a full team and have only slipped once the injuries hit. Most teams cannot handle the type of injuries to core players we've had in a cap world (especially defensively). Tanev, Edler, Hammer (long term), Sbisa (long term) have all been hurt. Those are our 4 most experienced Dmen.

This group is a 7-9th spot team if healthy and can get into the playoffs. Alot of injuries, like any team its hard to compete with young players and ahlers/journeymen playing in roles above their capabilities.

I am not so hard on this group as I don't think we're as bad as our record suggests right now, and I also look at the quality of competition players have to play against when I think of their grades.

Sedin (A) - Sedin (A) - Hansen (A-)
Baertschi (B-) - Horvat (C+) - Vrbata (C+)
McCann (C) - Sutter (B-) - Virtanen (C)
Prust (C-) - Cracknell (D) - Burrows (C-)
Dorsett (D), Higgins (Mussolini), Vey (Tojo)

Edler (B) - Tanev (B+)
Hamhuis (C-) - Biega (C+)
Hutton (B-) - Sbisa (C)
Weber (Hitler), Bartkowski (D+)

Miller (B-)
Markstrom (C+)

Baer and Horvat probably a bit too high but I expect they'll continue their solid play

D. Sedin(A)-H.Sedin(A)-Hansen(A-)

Baertschi(B-)-Horvat(C+)-Vrbata(C-)

Higgins(F)-McCann(B-)-Burrows(D)

Prust(C)-Cracknell(C+)-Dorsett(C-)

Sutter(B+), Virtanen(C)

Edler(C+)-Tanev(A)

Hutton(B+)-Weber(F)

Bartkowski(C)-Sbisa(B)

Hamhuis(C)-Biega(B)

Miller(C+)

Markstrom(B+)

Overall: C+. Despite the record, still in a playoff position with lots of holes on the team

I actually agree with the OPs grades for the most part. One thing that I think is worth noting are the expectations placed on Vrbata. History has shown that Vrby has a tendency to have on and off years, so I expected him to get closer to 20-ish goals, though to be fair, I guessed more in the high 20s rather than the low 20s that he's currently on pace for.

EDIT: I did just notice the C- for Edler; can't say I agree with that. I'd give him a B-.

Grades:

Baertschi(B)-Horvat(C+)-Vrbata(C)

Higgins(D)-McCann(C+)-Burrows(C-)

Prust(C)-Cracknell(C+)-Dorsett(C+)

Sutter(B+), Virtanen(C)

Edler(B)-Tanev(B)

Hutton(B)-Weber(D)

Bartkowski(D)-Sbisa(B)

Hamhuis(C)-Biega(C+)

Miller(C+)

Markstrom(B+)

7 hours ago, LaBamba said:

If the season ends today we would be playing the yotes in the Stanley cup playoffs. 

100% of the so called hockey experts projected us to finish at the bottom of the standings. 

I would say, we have exceeded everyone's expectations. 

Except the season doesn't end today...

edler should be a D- for the dum mistakes he makes bench time for him . play fedan at least when he makes a mistake he is back at his position .he made the odd mistake but he is a rookie what is edlers excuse time to sit some vets and play the rookies

Baertschi(c+)-Horvat(C+)-Vrbata(D+)

Higgins(D-)-McCann(B-)-Burrows(C-)

Prust(C)-Cracknell(C)-Dorsett(C)

Sutter(B), Virtanen(C-)

Edler(B)-Tanev(B)

Hutton(B)-Weber(F)

Bartkowski(C-)-Sbisa(B+)

Hamhuis(C)-Biega(B)

Miller(C-)

Markstrom(B+)

Vrbata B

Bearschi B

by virtue of center in slump the whole line has been impacted by overall lower production.WD compounded it with line huggling an benching's.it may pay off in second half . As a few key players come back, thinking Suttera B since he went down team floundered on offense

C- is too low for Miller. He helped us win several games that the team had no business winning. Yeah, he had the occasional off game, but he was also playing almost every game at that point. We wouldn't be in a playoff spot right now if he played like a real C-.

I would give Miller B-, Markstrom gets a B+ from me.

44 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

Vrbata B

Bearschi B

by virtue of center in slump the whole line has been impacted by overall lower production.WD compounded it with line huggling an benching's.it may pay off in second half . As a few key players come back, thinking Suttera B since he went down team floundered on offense

Was it Bo who dragged down Vrbata and Sven, or the other way around?

There is no slump for Bo if he played with better talent on the wings, that's my opinion. He's worked hard every game I've watched, but Sven and Vrbata have had questionable efforts. Good to see Sven waking up, finally.

14 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Was it Bo who dragged down Vrbata and Sven, or the other way around?

There is no slump for Bo if he played with better talent on the wings, that's my opinion. He's worked hard every game I've watched, but Sven and Vrbata have had questionable efforts. Good to see Sven waking up, finally.

Very well said.

i was really thinking depth wise when Sutter went down other teams had easier job of focusing on an containing the line. For sure Vrbata never over reached to make up for it an Bearschi still seemed to be finding his way. 

10 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

So, we're halfway done the year now. Currently, we sit at a 16-16-9, 20th in the league, yet somehow, somehow, we are in a playoff spot, sitting third in the pacific. Of course, this is because the Pacific division is HORRIBLE, but minor details. Been a weird season to be sure, but it's halfway gone now. How would you grade the roster? What was the best game so far this year? The worst? Best player? Biggest surprise? One area you'd improve?

I'll start. I'm only going to grade players who've played 15+ games. So no Vey, Pedan, Gaunce, Shink, etc.

Grades:

Baertschi(B)-Horvat(C+)-Vrbata(C-)

Higgins(F)-McCann(B-)-Burrows(D-)

Prust(D+)-Cracknell(C)-Dorsett(C)

Sutter(B+), Virtanen(D+)

Edler(C-)-Tanev(B)

Hutton(A)-Weber(F)

Bartkowski(D-)-Sbisa(B+)

Hamhuis(C-)-Biega(B)

Miller(C-)

Markstrom(B+)

Forwards: The top line has been exceptional this year. The Sedin's and Hansen are dynamite. Unfortunately, the rest of the group has not performed well. Baertschi gets a B because he's made a remarkable turnaround from the beginning of the year, and not just because he's scoring. He is a completely different guy out there. Horvat gets a C+ for that reason too. At the first quarter, both of their marks would have been a lot lower. McCann has transitioned well to the NHL, but is mired in a drought right now. Burrows and Higgins have been the worst forwards by a country mile. Vrbata has scored in patches, but has been a pretty big disappointment this year after his success last season. Virtanen I just do not think is NHL ready yet. I think spending the rest of the year in Junior would be good for him.

Defense: Hoo boy, this is where it gets fun. As a whole, the D has vastly under performed, or performed on par. I'm really not sure which. Edler narrowly avoids a D because he's putting up points, as well as he's had a decent last couple of weeks. Tanev as always is sharp defensively. Hutton is an A, because he's playing like a top 4 out there, and he's a rookie for crying out loud. Man this kid is so good! Weber.... Ugh. Bartkowski, again, ugh. Hamhuis has clearly lost a step in his game, he is not the player he once was at all. Biega, man he has been a great addition from Utica. I hope he's here permanently. 

Goaltending: Miller, I'm not sure if he's bad, or if it's the D in front of him. Some games he was the one holding us in it, others he was just terrible. Markstrom has been a great surprise. Unfortunately the team gives him no support. But he's been playing very well.

How would you grade the roster? As a whole, D+. We really should not be anywhere near a playoff spot.

What was the best game so far this year? The Oilers OT win, That was hard fought, and I'm always happy to stick it to Edmonton.

The worst? 6-2 Thrashing against Minnesota. Nobody not named Sedin showed up for that one. Terrible game, start to finish.

Best player? Daniel Sedin, easy. What a year for him. :)

Biggest surprise? Ben Hutton. WHEN DID WE GET THIS KID? Holy crap, we might just have the steal of the whole 2012 draft here guys!

One area you'd improve? DEFENSE! The PP is a close second, but there are way too many defensive errors out there. It's costing us.

How the hell is.cracknell rates so low? you expected more? Hes best 4th line center weve had in a longtime

Grades:

D. Sedin(A)-H.Sedin(A-)-Hansen(A)

Baertschi(C+)-Horvat(C+)-Vrbata(C-)

Higgins(F)-McCann(C+)-Burrows(C-)

Prust(C)-Cracknell(C+)-Dorsett(C)

Sutter(B), Virtanen(C)

Edler(C)-Tanev(B)

Hutton(B-)-Weber(D)

Bartkowski(C)-Sbisa(B)

Hamhuis(C-)-Biega(B+)

Miller(C)

Markstrom(B)

I figure that a guy has to be pretty dire to get less than a C-, and only Higgins and Weber are worth that.

Archived