The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Avalanche D Brandon Gormley

86Viking

I thought we'd go for Rundblad when he was available, now I'm thinking JB is fine with his thin D corps. 

I'd take a chance on the guy. He's 23 with loads of upside, and we're currently starving for D prospects, in addition to being thin on the blueline with 3 notable injuries. Grab him!

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I thought we'd go for Rundblad when he was available, now I'm thinking JB is fine with his thin D corps. 

I'd take a chance on the guy. He's 23 with loads of upside, and we're currently starving for D prospects, in addition to being thin on the blueline with 3 notable injuries. Grab him!

I would have though Benning would take Runblad so unless he has some history or liked gormley back in the day I dont think he puts in a claim. Maybe we move a D today in a trade for a later pick then this makes more sense

So, lets see, 6'5" 215lb  Pedan wins the hardest shot AND the fastest skater, led the team in hits in one his 3 games and made some nice plays along with a fight and people want to claim Gormley and bury Pedan farther back in the D depth chart. :wacko:

I would like to see Pedan some more games with the big club, no harm in sitting hutton even for a game to let him see the game from above and give him a rest, lets not forget he is used to College hockey and they play far less.

Also notable players to sit would be weber and bartkowski.

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

I would like to see Pedan some more games with the big club, no harm in sitting hutton even for a game to let him see the game from above and give him a rest, lets not forget he is used to College hockey and they play far less.

Also notable players to sit would be weber and bartkowski.

Giving Hutton a rest is a good idea. Although I would prefer to see Bartkowski sat for a few games.

His assist yesterday was nice, but his lack of consistency is annoying. I mean, you'd think he'd want to make the best possible impression to gain a new contract. Same with Weber.

Instead Biega has outplayed them both, and made the most of his promotion, which really blows to bits the argument that Weber and Bartkowski are playing more than their depth allows. Biega's effort shows that he wants it more than those two floaters.

If he's avaliable for pickup.  I would be all over that.  No risk high possible reward?  Whats too fear?  Or let him go under and see if u can trade for him.  (if he makes it down. be surprised an alberta team wouldnt jump on him.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

This is one I actually wouldn't mind taking a shot at. only 23 and RFA at the end of the season, so if it doesn't work we can rid ourselves of him in 41 games. If only he was right-handed...

We should have tried Rundblad a few weeks ago.

Gormley beat him for a spot in Arizona. But I met some guys from Portland who played on their the AHL team. They suggested Rundblad was an absolutely stinkin talent who should make it, should have beat Gormley. Plus he is a RHD.

If we pick up Gormley, it just means we have to move someone else. Pizza man should also be coming back sometime soon. Shouldn't he? (What was wrong with Sbisa anyway??)

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

If we pick up Gormley, it just means we have to move someone else. Pizza man should also be coming back sometime soon. Shouldn't he? (What was wrong with Sbisa anyway??)

I think he broke his hand. Usually hand injuries take longer to heal since there are a lot of small bones in your hand.

He was skating at one point, but he couldn't stick handle

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gormley's been sheltered and unproductive.

Patrick Roy sure loves him some Nate Guenin.

Ya plus they just picked up that guy from Columbus so I guess they needed to make a roster move or this was icing on the cake for Gormley being waived, maybe they tried to trade him and had no luck, his value is low.

If he clears, I would consider us maybe acquiring him to play for Utica and help down their, see if Green can work his magic. maybe for Jensen? Close in age both have been disappointments

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

I think he broke his hand. Usually hand injuries take longer to heal since there are a lot of small bones in your hand.

He was skating at one point, but he couldn't stick handle

Gormley or Rundblad? And you mean back at Arizona??

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

He has been a let down since turning pro. That being said we do have room on the back end to see if he can ever turn into the dman most thought he would be.

Oddly enough he did slide in his draft year. Maybe many scouts notice issues with his game.

Not really. We have plenty of left side D already so it wouldn't make a lot of sense unless we really saw something in him to make it worthwhile. He'd be behind Edler, Hutton, Sbisa (who's close to returning), Hamhuis (although he's injured) and Bartkowski at least, but possibly also Pedan making it 4 active roster players and one more returning soon ahead. I doubt we make a move.

I think it is safe to say Weber isn't getting any better, and Bartkowski has been underwhelming.  What is the harm in picking up a young guy that you can waive if he doesn't work out?  It isn't like we have a ton of depth on the farm where he would impact their development minutes if he cleared waivers and played there.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We should have tried Rundblad a few weeks ago.

Gormley beat him for a spot in Arizona. But I met some guys from Portland who played on their the AHL team. They suggested Rundblad was an absolutely stinkin talent who should make it, should have beat Gormley. Plus he is a RHD.

I haven't watched many of Gormley's games so I can't really say I know much but I'm glad we passed on Rundblad. Lost defensively and skates like he's got cinderblocks for feet. What's the major issue(s) with Gormley?

Archived