The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Avalanche D Brandon Gormley

86Viking

13 minutes ago, Toews said:

A couple of posters said be was waived earlier but I do not remember this at all. When was this? He just became waiver eligible this season and came to Colorado for Stefan Eliott.

i think it was last season as he played both in arizona and in portland their ahl affiliate

Lots of potential. Got stuck playing on terrible teams (col, az) 

I'd take a swing at him. Biega is good but can he keep it up? He might do better as simply an injury call-up this year. Pedan was ok but not quite ready. I don't have much confidence in Weber this season. Barty has been ok (oddly enough beside Biega) but when Hammer and Sbisa return, that partnership will be broken up because those guys should never be paired together again.

Just now, Gstank29 said:

From what Avs fans are saying he was good this year.

I would claim him, but I'm sure one of the 10 teams ahead of us will place a claim

The same sentiment is claimed in every thread when one of these much ballyhooed prospects is waived...then comes the shock and awe when no team makes a claim.

57 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

The same sentiment is claimed in every thread when one of these much ballyhooed prospects is waived...then comes the shock and awe when no team makes a claim.

Ya I agree, but reiterating what some av fans have said they have stated he has been decent for them, for a guy like runblad was under a different voice. 

I think he could get a claim, I dont think Benning will as our D will be coming back in the next month but who knows another team might still see potential

5 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

So, lets see, 6'5" 215lb  Pedan wins the hardest shot AND the fastest skater, led the team in hits in one his 3 games and made some nice plays along with a fight and people want to claim Gormley and bury Pedan farther back in the D depth chart. :wacko:

People don't want Pedan scratched they want to make sure Weber never wears a Canucks jersey again.

^^Sure, if Weber ever played the left side. He's a right handed defenceman and has been paired on the right side of Hutton of late. Bartkowski has been used on both I think.

2 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I haven't watched many of Gormley's games so I can't really say I know much but I'm glad we passed on Rundblad. Lost defensively and skates like he's got cinderblocks for feet. What's the major issue(s) with Gormley?

Brandon Gormley is an interesting situation, because i still can't tell exactly what his ceiling is.

Whether for attitude or just a clash of styles, Gormley found himself the extra man for the Coyotes before getting dealt for Stefan Elliott. He's got a better two-way defensive game than Elliott, but would go hot and cold- and when he's cold, it seems to build up on him. I think he's got a well rounded game and he's a decent skater, but nothing about his game really stands out- which is good because nothing is terrible, but bad because he has no one asset that makes him indispensable over his colleagues.

I think waiving him is a mistake on Colorado's part, but I also think he's nothing more than a potentially solid fifth or sixth defenseman.

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/1/7/should-the-vancouver-canucks-claim-brandon-gormley

I'd put in a waiver claim on Gormley. 

He's worth a shot. What do we have to lose? 

I would waive Biega, Weber, or Bartowski. Any one of those guys can go. 

If we waive Biega, though, he's most likely to go through down to Utica. 

He should get picked up, I dont think its smart to give up on a promising d prospects thats play well in JR AHL and playoffs and is still figuring it out at the NHL, until there 25.

Hes got a couple years I think to prove/learn to bring his game at the NHL level

He looks like a late bloomer according to his stats. He's had success at every level except the NHL, and has played limited minutes in the big league. I'd rather give this experiment a chance than ice Weber.

My bet is either Toronto or Edmonton will claim first though. 

Archived