The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Avalanche D Brandon Gormley

86Viking

37 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's okay to have an opinion, but EXPECT that an opinion will be challenged. That is all.

Here's my opinion, from what I've seen of him, he's slow and soft for the NHL. Statistically, he's produced nothing to suggest that he's this magical 1st round, can't-miss defenseman that everybody else is creaming about. People like to bring up that he was a 1st round pick, but teams like Ottawa and Chicago have dumped him, especially having paid an expensive price to get him. One poster said that Rundblad was the worst piece in ALL the transactions involving him.

He's produced AHL numbers, so he is not a talentless hack. His game just doesn't translate into the NHL, for whatever reason.

Stop crying about hearing facts that you don't want to know about. Gormley and Rundblad weren't going to do anything for the Canucks.

I don't object to a challenge. I also qualified my opinion as based on feedback from AHL players on his team. And in previous posts months prior (different thread) I noted his productivity in the NHL; 14 points in 49 games. Which is great for a 3rd pairing / 7th defender.

Just thought you phrased things rather dismissively. With a sense of authority .  "Here we go again." Matter of fact, pompous, as if know one else deserves an opinion.  And here you are again suggesting people are "crying about facts?" You quoted a poster. Good source!

So here is an opinion from a scout; "Rundblad is an offensive minded defenseman with very good size and puck skills. He has impressive vision and likes to move the puck into the offensive zone with slick stickhandling and good speed. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7069#sthash.CFL6giLd.dpuf" Speed and skills, nor size, is what sunk Rundblad.

But you suggest he is slow and soft.  Nobody is crying. We're just wondering if you have actually ever watched him yourself?

Clearly there is a reason he was not claimed. My own guess is you have no idea what it is.

Just like punkin guys?

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't object to a challenge. I also qualified my opinion as based on feedback from AHL players on his team. And in previous posts months prior (different thread) I noted his productivity in the NHL; 14 points in 49 games. Which is great for a 3rd pairing / 7th defender.

Just thought you phrased things rather dismissively. With a sense of authority .  "Here we go again." Matter of fact, pompous, as if know one else deserves an opinion.  And here you are again suggesting people are "crying about facts?" You quoted a poster. Good source!

So here is an opinion from a scout; "Rundblad is an offensive minded defenseman with very good size and puck skills. He has impressive vision and likes to move the puck into the offensive zone with slick stickhandling and good speed. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7069#sthash.CFL6giLd.dpuf" Speed and skills, nor size, is what sunk Rundblad.

But you suggest he is slow and soft.  Nobody is crying. We're just wondering if you have actually ever watched him yourself?

Clearly there is a reason he was not claimed. My own guess is you have no idea what it is.

Just like punkin guys?

Note, I didn't say he was small. I said he plays soft. He's not a physical player and doesn't use his size (which is fine to some extent). He is prone to a lot of giveaways (akin to Edler). Speed? Rundblad's not very mobile in the NHL. He seems to lack quickness. Maybe his skating is not up to par? I watched him when i followed PHX (I was always hoping for the Coyotes to do well, especially when they made the playoffs). Rundblad has skill (as shown by his AHL numbers, but is a frustrating player to watch in the NHL. It's possible that the AHL players that you've talked to must have been impressed by his AHL performances (rightfully so), but he just can't put up the same kind of numbers. You've also neglected to mention about the other NHL games he's played with the other clubs. Pretty bad.

Personally, i think the NHL game doesn't fit his style of play, which is more finesse. He's better suited for Europe (nothing wrong with that). But people have been harping on Weber's play. Little do they realize, Rundblad is not much better.

There's a reason why Chicago, who paid a 2nd rounder for him last year, was unable to not only get a pick back, nor did anyone pick him up for free.

Gormley doesn't stand out much with his play. He also played with Phx too. Not bad but he's not a solution either.

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

This is probably the flimsiest reason for picking up someone, considering you haven't seen him play.

Biega is a very good defenseman. If he gets waived, he's gonna get claimed. He's played far too well to not get claimed.

Biega is a seventh year AHLer. He has been waived many, many times without a claim.

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

Biega is a seventh year AHLer. He has been waived many, many times without a claim.

But his play as of late in the NHL has changed things, don't you think?

He's far more consistent of a defenseman and losing him is a huge blow, to an already fragile and bare defense. That's the difference.

Would people lose sleep if Weber was claimed? Probably not. How about Biega?

There's your answer.

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

why would we trade grenier for him if hes on waiverwire or are you all dumb in the head

contract for contract. We add a skilled d man to Utica. With etem acquired, Gaunce and Shinkaruk likely higher on overall depth charts than Grenier and the fact Grenier is one of our oldest prospects.

But yes I am dumb in the head, just as dumb as you and everyone else that walks this planet. Not like we havent seen a guy go unclaimed on waivers to see him get moved in a HOCKEY TRANSCACTION before....But keep up the uplifting comments towards others, must make you feel good

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

contract for contract. We add a skilled d man to Utica. With etem acquired, Gaunce and Shinkaruk likely higher on overall depth charts than Grenier and the fact Grenier is one of our oldest prospects.

But yes I am dumb in the head, just as dumb as you and everyone else that walks this planet. Not like we havent seen a guy go unclaimed on waivers to see him get moved in a HOCKEY TRANSCACTION before....But keep up the uplifting comments towards others, must make you feel good

who cares if hes old he plays well and has size  we can waive one of our crappy utica players not our top 5 ones that play in all key situations for green

2 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

who cares if hes old he plays well and has size  we can waive one of our crappy utica players not our top 5 ones that play in all key situations for green

if anyone is waived it be a player that has like 5 points or less in utica not a ppg player like grenier  like negrin, kurtz, labate, archibald.    grenier has 19 points in 25 games second on team in scoring  why would u get rid pf a decent player for no reason. Think man holy f

Archived