The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need to pair a creative Winger with McCann

*Buzzsaw*

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with McCann's development, although his scoring has tailed off.  But I think that is more a result of him being paired most of the time with guys who have hands of stone.

Dorsett tries hard, and scates well, but by no means is he a passer, and Prust basically has the hands of a plumber.

I see McCann as being primarily a sniper, and that means he needs someone who can get him the puck.

When Sutter comes back there is going to be a big shuffle, and I'm really hoping McCann comes out of it with a decent winger on his line.  This is neccessary to jumpstart McCann's offensive production again.

That winger may be Vey.  I would prefer in many ways to keep McCann as the 4th line center rather than Vey. 

WD is talking about rotating McCann to the pressbox every 3rd game, in those games Vey or Cracknall can slot in as center on the 4th.

McCann's winger could also be Burrows.... Burr can play up and down the lineup, and it seems to me he played with McCann earlier in the season when he was having more success.

That player could also be Virtanen... I don't think it is a done deal that Jake will play with Baer and Bo, WD may not want three relatively inexperienced players on the same line.  (although Horvat and Baertschi are playing really responsibly)  But it would be good to try out Jake on a line with McCann at least once or twice... Jake should be sheltered on the 4th line anyway.

For me, the odd man out is Prust.  I think he is better as a utility guy, with Dorsett getting the regular shifts in preference to Prust.  I would prefer to see Cracknall getting a regular shift instead of Prust.

Not winning face-offs and having possession is the thing that greatly affected McCann's production which is obviously obvious

McCann needs a board worker, that has offensive instinct, who can feed him the puck or pass to. Cracknell and prust was able to do it early on but when his face-offs was exposed, and injuries that causes him to move up the line

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with McCann's development, although his scoring has tailed off.  But I think that is more a result of him being paired most of the time with guys who have hands of stone.

Dorsett tries hard, and scates well, but by no means is he a passer, and Prust basically has the hands of a plumber.

I see McCann as being primarily a sniper, and that means he needs someone who can get him the puck.

When Sutter comes back there is going to be a big shuffle, and I'm really hoping McCann comes out of it with a decent winger on his line.  This is neccessary to jumpstart McCann's offensive production again.

That winger may be Vey.  I would prefer in many ways to keep McCann as the 4th line center rather than Vey. 

WD is talking about rotating McCann to the pressbox every 3rd game, in those games Vey or Cracknall can slot in as center on the 4th.

McCann's winger could also be Burrows.... Burr can play up and down the lineup, and it seems to me he played with McCann earlier in the season when he was having more success.

That player could also be Virtanen... I don't think it is a done deal that Jake will play with Baer and Bo, WD may not want three relatively inexperienced players on the same line.  (although Horvat and Baertschi are playing really responsibly)  But it would be good to try out Jake on a line with McCann at least once or twice... Jake should be sheltered on the 4th line anyway.

For me, the odd man out is Prust.  I think he is better as a utility guy, with Dorsett getting the regular shifts in preference to Prust.  I would prefer to see Cracknall getting a regular shift instead of Prust.

Pretty much same plan as Horvat.......they're letting him develop his defensive game and compete level with guys who create room for him and have his back......no offensive expectations at all.  I think it's great to see him out there with those two......I feel like he's safe.  Everyone knows he can score and play an offensive game, he's not going to just lose that.

After that ANA game few weeks back I think Willy saw the need to have some grit out there with JM.  Not sure what's more important in his development right now,  a winger who can help him out offensively or a guy who's got his back every single shift out there and won't pick spots when it comes to mixing it up.  Could it be both? ::D

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

After that ANA game few weeks back I think Willy saw the need to have some grit out there with JM.  Not sure what's more important in his development right now,  a winger who can help him out offensively or a guy who's got his back every single shift out there and won't pick spots when it comes to mixing it up.  Could it be both? ::D

So Virtanen?

28 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

1 hour ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Zack Kassian.  :ph34r:

46 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Not winning face-offs and having possession is the thing that greatly affected McCann's production which is obviously obvious

McCann needs a board worker, that has offensive instinct, who can feed him the puck or pass to. Cracknell and prust was able to do it early on but when his face-offs was exposed, and injuries that causes him to move up the line

I seem to recall that a winger that fits this billing was just here...let's see, size (6'4" 200+lbs) check; willing to play the boards and body, check; a fairly good passer (13 assists so  far on a fairly offensively challenged team), check; and oh yeah, can bury one when given a chance, check. Stick Burrows on one wing (good idea, Buzzsaw!), and Grenier on the other.

That is if McCann stays at center. The idea of playing wing, with Sutter, is also pretty good; JM is a sniper.

20 minutes ago, arcanuck said:

Stick Burrows on one wing (good idea, Buzzsaw!), and Grenier on the other.

Grenier doesn't use his size whatsoever which is frustrating so that's no help to JM.  And Burr is equally likely to start some s#*t on the ice that will get JM into trouble as he is likely to get some points so again,  no help there.

Archived