The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's War plan: How to proceed into the deadline, draft and free agency

Bert Diesel

I think we will probably see Benning hang on to Vrbata, Hamhuis, etc. Under the guise that this is a playoff caliber team. Prust will probably go but I think a repeat of last year is likely when it comes to UFA players. Hang onto them for a shot at the playoffs (and let's face it, very likely another first round defeat if they get in) then lose them for nothing as UFA. 

I hope not because I think it is a terrible mismanagement of assets based on where we currently are. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. Clinging to playoff aspirations this year would be terrible especially considering they did it last year and the result was not surprising. There is a difference between making the playoffs and being a playoff quality team. With our D and coaching we are not likely to overcome our weaknesses for a magical run. If we did that should be considered a bonus, not something management is using to justify asset management decisions.

Just my take on it anyway.

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 10:23 AM, kingofsurrey said:

Just so hard to trades for young D men. Drafting D  is definately the way to go. Canucks historically have used high drafts on D preferring to try to get late bloomer in the later rounds.  How has that worked out for us. Missing  LB so much right now on your team.

I agree that drafting is ideal, but it takes too long for defensemen to develop.  We could have a good team in 1-2 years if JB plays his cards right.  If we draft D, they won't be ready for 3-5 years.  Better to trade for young d or resign ourselves to the blueline not being quite as young and quick as the forwards.  It's not like Edler is ancient (though his usefulness is debatable), Tanev and Hutton are fine by me.  Supplement that with quality defensemen around 30 years old, and we'd be fine.

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

I agree that drafting is ideal, but it takes too long for defensemen to develop.  We could have a good team in 1-2 years if JB plays his cards right.  If we draft D, they won't be ready for 3-5 years.  Better to trade for young d or resign ourselves to the blueline not being quite as young and quick as the forwards.  It's not like Edler is ancient (though his usefulness is debatable), Tanev and Hutton are fine by me.  Supplement that with quality defensemen around 30 years old, and we'd be fine.

I also think this is the right approach. Hopefully we get lucky and can draft a Defenceman who is 1-2 years away but it's unlikely. Hutton's development has been reasonably quick for a defenseman and he spent 3 years in college after being drafted.

17 hours ago, VanNuck said:

Somehow, my ideal lineup for next season would look something like this. How it would happen would require a lot of luck, but definitely trading away our existing core.

Virtanen-McCann-Benson

Cox-Horvat-Ronning

Boeser-Sutter-Shinkaruk

Hansen-Cassels-Dorsett/Prust

Byfuglein-Bowmeester

Tanev-Lucic

Fabbro-Hutton

Markstrom

Demko

Some of you folks might be pressing me for how to build this team, others might question the validity of the group. It would definitely involve parting ways with Sedins, Edler, Hamhuis, Burrows, Miller and a few others for picks, acquiring JBo in a trade, then signing Lucic and Byfuglein in free agency (possible when you clear up cap space).

But overall, I think this team has potential to win a Cup before most of the young players hit restricted free agency. The top three lines are all bona-fide first-line offensive lines, the fourth is a strong checking line that will still see its fair share of ice time when you need to shake the opposition. Horvat, in particular, has Jonathan Toews potential and could emerge as a serious leader for this team. On defense, there is a good mixture of puck-moving blueliners and physical, hard-hitting guys, three of whom are established veterans with championships. (Lucic, I believe, can switch to defense. His +/- does suggest he is a defensively responsible guy, and playing with defensive stud Tanev should make a smoother adaption to the blueline). Then there is Markstrom and Demko, two high-potential goaltenders.

What do you think?

Way too much youth in that lineup for it to be anything but a lower-tier team. Personally though, I think Buff is just the kind of defensemen we need. Size and attitude are in great need for the Canucks, but his discipline is the one thing that could be a problem. Lucic (whether people want to admit it) is what we need as well. Like Buff, he does have discipline issues but that comes with the attitude.

17 hours ago, VanNuck said:

Somehow, my ideal lineup for next season would look something like this. How it would happen would require a lot of luck, but definitely trading away our existing core.

Virtanen-McCann-Benson

Cox-Horvat-Ronning

Boeser-Sutter-Shinkaruk

Hansen-Cassels-Dorsett/Prust

Byfuglein-Bowmeester

Tanev-Lucic

Fabbro-Hutton

Markstrom

Demko

Some of you folks might be pressing me for how to build this team, others might question the validity of the group. It would definitely involve parting ways with Sedins, Edler, Hamhuis, Burrows, Miller and a few others for picks, acquiring JBo in a trade, then signing Lucic and Byfuglein in free agency (possible when you clear up cap space).

But overall, I think this team has potential to win a Cup before most of the young players hit restricted free agency. The top three lines are all bona-fide first-line offensive lines, the fourth is a strong checking line that will still see its fair share of ice time when you need to shake the opposition. Horvat, in particular, has Jonathan Toews potential and could emerge as a serious leader for this team. On defense, there is a good mixture of puck-moving blueliners and physical, hard-hitting guys, three of whom are established veterans with championships. (Lucic, I believe, can switch to defense. His +/- does suggest he is a defensively responsible guy, and playing with defensive stud Tanev should make a smoother adaption to the blueline). Then there is Markstrom and Demko, two high-potential goaltenders.

What do you think?

Way too much youth in that lineup for it to be anything but a lower-tier team. Personally though, I think Buff is just the kind of defensemen we need. Size and attitude are in great need for the Canucks, but his discipline is the one thing that could be a problem. Lucic (whether people want to admit it) is what we need as well. Like Buff, he does have discipline issues but that comes with the attitude.

On 1/10/2016 at 1:27 PM, Bert Diesel said:
On 1/12/2016 at 2:56 PM, Bert Diesel said:

After looking at the cap online and crunching some numbers here's the best guess I have for the cap situation next season:

With Higgins in the minors we save around 1 million in space.

With the rising cap in this scenario we will have around $20 million to spend

We resign:

Biega   1.5 mil

Pedan   600,000

Baertschi   1.7-2.1 million

Etem   1 million

We give Vey's spot to Gaunce/Shinkaruk or keep Vey

Grenier/Gaunce take Prust's spot

Out:

Prust

Vrbata

Weber

Bartowski

Hamhuis

23 man roster:

1.Miller   6 million

2. Markstrom   1.55

3/4: Henrik and Daniel  14 million

5: Burrows   4.5

6. Virtanen 895,000

7. Hutton 896,000

8. Edler  5 million

9. Tanev 4.45

10. Dorsett  2.65

11. Sbisa 3.6

12. MCcan  895,000

13. Etem 1 million

14. Hansen  2.5

15.Horvat 894,000

16. Baertschi  1.8

17. Biega  1.5

18. Sutter  4.3

19. Pedan  600,000

20/21: any two of Vey/Gaunce/Grenier/Shinkaruk 1 each million roughly

Around 59 million

plus Luongo and Higgins salaries= roughly 61.5

Leaving 11.5 million for two UFA's

22.  UFA 5.75 million

23. UFA: 5.75 million

For these prices I see Lucic and Demers as the most likely targets. And again, D needs upgrading more than any other position in the organziation IMO,

My original prediction of Biega making 1.5 million was based on the salary of Matt Bartowski who makes 1.75 m and who I consider to be an inferior player to Biega. Seeing Biega play this year has been special; he's come out of nowhere and displayed poise, two way awareness, and speed to fit the new team model. I felt Biega had already earned a significant raise; but he is still at the stage were he is satisfied with a one way contract.

Today we find out that Biega will make 700 and 800k the next two years. A raise of only 100 and 200k respectively each season. This gives Van an extra 800k in cap space near. My initial UFA calculation of two UFA's at 5.75 each can be revised to around 6.15 each for two free agents. This is certainly good news that we manage to replace Bartowski/Weber next season for a more capable player for a smaller cap hit. With the 12.3(rough estimate in cap space) It shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that we can add a capable top 6 and a D, or two solid defenceman. I think its more likely that the Nucks spend the cap space on only one D(Hamhuis replacement); If they don't Pedan will likely have to go on waivers and I think that's highly unlikely considering his speed and size and latest reviews from Utica.

if we can draft a guy like Chychrun or Juolevi; perhaps we can spend all our money on offensive help instead of D (Eriksson or Stamkos?)

Tanev Edler

Hutton Sbisa

UFA Biega

Pedan

26 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

My original prediction of Biega making 1.5 million was based on the salary of Matt Bartowski who makes 1.75 m and who I consider to be an inferior player to Biega. Seeing Biega play this year has been special; he's come out of nowhere and displayed poise, two way awareness, and speed to fit the new team model. I felt Biega had already earned a significant raise; but he is still at the stage were he is satisfied with a one way contract.

Today we find out that Biega will make 700 and 800k the next two years. A raise of only 100 and 200k respectively each season. This gives Van an extra 800k in cap space near. My initial UFA calculation of two UFA's at 5.75 each can be revised to around 6.15 each for two free agents. This is certainly good news that we manage to replace Bartowski/Weber next season for a more capable player for a smaller cap hit. With the 12.3(rough estimate in cap space) It shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that we can add a capable top 6 and a D, or two solid defenceman. I think its more likely that the Nucks spend the cap space on only one D(Hamhuis replacement); If they don't Pedan will likely have to go on waivers and I think that's highly unlikely considering his speed and size and latest reviews from Utica.

if we can draft a guy like Chychrun or Juolevi; perhaps we can spend all our money on offensive help instead of D (Eriksson or Stamkos?)

Tanev Edler

Hutton Sbisa

UFA Biega

Pedan

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hamhuis back.

I appreciate that it's going to be much easier to pick up a left handed free agent D than a right handed one (in fact, I think Byfuglien and Demers are the only 2 potentially available).  Otherwise, it means a creative trade (of course, the more complicated a deal becomes, the less likely it will happen).

Even if Hamhuis comes back, they have to be working hard to get a top 4 D.  Hutton may get there by next year but it would be a much easier transition for him if he had a legitimate top 4 partner to help him.

Wow that is scarey bad D- fence if that is what we go for next year.

If that is really our D , would think Marky  Mark and Miller may both ask to be traded.. or get some kind of health insurance  due to heavy rubber beatings....

Tanev Edler

Hutton Sbisa

UFA Biega

Pedan

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If that is really our D , would think Marky  Mark and Miller may both ask to be traded.. or get some kind of health insurance  due to heavy rubber beatings....

Tanev Edler

Hutton Sbisa

UFA Biega

Pedan

Rubber beating.  Interesting. :frantic::shock:

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Tanev Edler

Hutton Sbisa

UFA Biega

Pedan

For sure.  The really need to pick up a top 4 (at least).  They have to replace Hamhuis if they plan on improving from this season. 

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Tanev Edler

Hutton Sbisa

UFA Biega

Pedan

I disagree with this assertion. I think this D is stronger than the one we began this year with as we've trimmed the fat of Bartowski and Weber while having some young players with upside(Hutton, Pedan). A lot depends on which UFA we choose to sign; remaining with Hamhuis I really think is a mistake. You can't overlook the fact that his decline was pronounced before his injury. The injury makes him regaining his form of 3-4 years ago pretty unlikely. The only way we remain with Hamhuis is if Edler is moved but I think that is pretty unlikely(to the disdain of many on this site). Sbisa, Hutton, Biega, Tanev are all clearly NHL Defenseman that can grow as a group together. Pedan is a big wildcard in my opinion. His skills competition skating time was unreal. The kid has some serious athleticism. His emergence along with the fact that Ben Hutton looks like he's close to breaking out as a top pairing guy. Hutton with 15lbs more muscle is going to be a big factor In the teams success moving forwards.

Archived