The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's War plan: How to proceed into the deadline, draft and free agency

Bert Diesel

26 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Should Benning grab Gormley and waive Weber? Salary is 850,500 and he is only 23 years old. He can,t be any worse can he?

For me it is a D like Sergaychev or a forward like Gauthier . Unless we get into the top 5.

Gormley? 2 organizations have given up on him, what do you know that they don't know?

Well, at the deadline I hope Benning can do one of three things:

1) VAN-NYI

To NYI:

Hamhuis (30% retained)

Sbisa

Higgins

2nd Round Pick 2016

4th Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

Hamonic

Bringing Hamonic over would help our D-core now and in the future. He would be the perfect partner for either Edler or Hutton. He can play top minutes and is right-handed. I'm not sure if this package would do, some things might have to be changed around. We lose both Hamhuis and Sbisa, but getting a #1/#2 defenseman like Hamonic would be worth it. Our top-4 would be Edler, Hamonic, Tanev and Hutton. That's pretty good. We have plenty of depth between Bartkowski, Weber, Biega and Pedan for the bottom 2 spots.

2) VAN-COL

To COL:

Hamhuis (40% retained)

Sbisa

Gaunce

2nd Round Pick 2016

4th Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

Barrie

Almost the exact same package, just for Barrie. Barrie is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league. He can put up points. His size won't be an issue if we pair him with Edler. That would leave Edler in a supporting role as well, which would probably be better for him. Again, our top-4 would be Edler, Barrie, Tanev and Hutton. That is also very good. Again, Bartkowski, Biega, Weber and Pedan can all battle for the bottom 2 spots.

3) VAN - Anybody

To OTT/FLA/NSH:

Vrbata

2nd Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

1st Round Pick 2016

To NSH/OTT/NYI:

Hamhuis

3rd Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

1st Round Pick 2016

This would leave us with 3 picks in the 1st Round at the Draft. From there we could make three selections, move two picks and make two higher selections, or try and package the picks plus more to move much higher and get one very high pick. All of these choices would be good. We would not be in any position to lose whatsoever come Draft day.

If any one of these deal(s) went through, it would be a great day for our team. We would get Hamonic, Barrie or a couple of 1sts. Even if we only get one 1st it will be a good day. Hopefully Benning can at least do something at the deadline.

Offering a contract in Free Agency will depend on if we can land Hamonic or Barrie at the deadline. Assuming we can't (because that is the most likely scenario), I would only offer two new guys contracts I think. We should be resigning some of our guys at the end of the year:

Jason Demers: 4-years, 4.45 million per

Darren Helm: 3-years, 2.75 million

Alex Biega: 3-years, 2 million per

Sven Baertschi: 3 years, 1.75 million per

Andrey Pedan: 3-years, 1.5 million per

Total Cap Spent: 12.45 million. We should make sure that all of our contracts are tradable.

*Trade Higgins if the offseason if one of the earlier packages doesn't work out.

Our lineup (going with just the Free Agents) would be something like this next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce - Sutter - Virtanen

Helm - McCann - Dorsett

Shinkaurik, Cassels

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Demers

Hutton - Biega

Pedan

Miller Markstrom

I think it would be better to get a trade done, but going through the Draft/UFA way would be much more likely. If we don't make any of those trades (except for Higgins in the offseason), we would have about 6 million in cap space. That, to me is crucial because it opens up so many more options for different scenarios. We could take a bad contract to increase value next year, we could bring in a higher caliber player through trade, etc. Having that space can do nothing to hurt us. It is not a bad thing,

12 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I'm not sure I know what you mean here.

are you saying we should trade these players over picks? Or are you implying that we have enough organizational depth?

I think what the suggestion is is that for too long 2nd round picks have been dealt for players that haven't panned out. We're still waiting on Beartschi, but he seems to have somewhat of a bright hockey future.

Benning said he wanted to replenish the prospect cupboard and you don't necessarily do so by trading picks away for fringe players, even if they have a slight upside. 

7 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

I just noticed that, whoops. I think he's better suited to the small rink and will be successful if he just plays it very simple. Elite skating and hitting. So yes, obviously he adds to our organizational depth here.

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

Well, at the deadline I hope Benning can do one of three things:

1) VAN-NYI

To NYI:

Hamhuis (30% retained)

Sbisa

Higgins

2nd Round Pick 2016

4th Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

Hamonic

Bringing Hamonic over would help our D-core now and in the future. He would be the perfect partner for either Edler or Hutton. He can play top minutes and is right-handed. I'm not sure if this package would do, some things might have to be changed around. We lose both Hamhuis and Sbisa, but getting a #1/#2 defenseman like Hamonic would be worth it. Our top-4 would be Edler, Hamonic, Tanev and Hutton. That's pretty good. We have plenty of depth between Bartkowski, Weber, Biega and Pedan for the bottom 2 spots.

2) VAN-COL

To COL:

Hamhuis (40% retained)

Sbisa

Gaunce

2nd Round Pick 2016

4th Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

Barrie

Almost the exact same package, just for Barrie. Barrie is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league. He can put up points. His size won't be an issue if we pair him with Edler. That would leave Edler in a supporting role as well, which would probably be better for him. Again, our top-4 would be Edler, Barrie, Tanev and Hutton. That is also very good. Again, Bartkowski, Biega, Weber and Pedan can all battle for the bottom 2 spots.

3) VAN - Anybody

To OTT/FLA/NSH:

Vrbata

2nd Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

1st Round Pick 2016

To NSH/OTT/NYI:

Hamhuis

3rd Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

1st Round Pick 2016

This would leave us with 3 picks in the 1st Round at the Draft. From there we could make three selections, move two picks and make two higher selections, or try and package the picks plus more to move much higher and get one very high pick. All of these choices would be good. We would not be in any position to lose whatsoever come Draft day.

If any one of these deal(s) went through, it would be a great day for our team. We would get Hamonic, Barrie or a couple of 1sts. Even if we only get one 1st it will be a good day. Hopefully Benning can at least do something at the deadline.

Offering a contract in Free Agency will depend on if we can land Hamonic or Barrie at the deadline. Assuming we can't (because that is the most likely scenario), I would only offer two new guys contracts I think. We should be resigning some of our guys at the end of the year:

Jason Demers: 4-years, 4.45 million per

Darren Helm: 3-years, 2.75 million

Alex Biega: 3-years, 2 million per

Sven Baertschi: 3 years, 1.75 million per

Andrey Pedan: 3-years, 1.5 million per

Total Cap Spent: 12.45 million

*Trade Higgins if the offseason if one of the earlier packages doesn't work out.

Our lineup (going with just the Free Agents) would be something like this next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce - Sutter - Virtanen

Helm - McCann - Dorsett

Shinkaurik, Cassels

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Demers

Hutton - Biega

Pedan

Miller Markstrom

I think it would be better to get a trade done, but going through the Draft/UFA way would be much more likely. If we don't make any of those trades (except for Higgins in the offseason), we would have about 6 million in cap space. That, to me is crucial because it opens up so many more options for different scenarios. We could take a bad contract to increase value next year, we could bring in a higher caliber player through trade, etc. Having that space can do nothing to hurt us. It is not a bad thing,

You can hope for any of those 3 trades but realistically, none have any chance of happening. You want Hamonic, it will take Tanev+. Hamhuis or Vrbata won't get you a 1st rounder.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

I think what the suggestion is is that for too long 2nd round picks have been dealt for players that haven't panned out. We're still waiting on Beartschi, but he seems to have somewhat of a bright hockey future.

Benning said he wanted to replenish the prospect cupboard and you don't necessarily do so by trading picks away for fringe players, even if they have a slight upside. 

I wasn't really saying it was the right thing to do, I was just saying it's something Benning would do. 

You gotta look at the flip side, an organization is giving up on a prospect for a draft pick. That's a pretty bold statement in itself. 

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

You can hope for any of those 3 trades but realistically, none have any chance of happening. You want Hamonic, it will take Tanev+. Hamhuis or Vrbata won't get you a 1st rounder.

I agree, those first two trades are unlikely. But Hamhuis coming back from injury would be worth a 2nd. Vrbata right now is worth a low 2nd. If we add on those two picks I think we could get it done.

15 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I'm not sure I know what you mean here.

are you saying we should trade these players over picks? Or are you implying that we have enough organizational depth?

Organizational depth. Use what we have instead of throwing away picks. 

As for our needs, we definitely need to draft some defence. Best player available only works if you think you can swap him 1 for 1, or in a package for the dman you covet if one isn't available at the draft.

No recent draft and trade comes to mind, so forget best player available and just draft the best defenceman available. It wouldn't bother me if we took D in the first 3 rounds, then another 1 later. 

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I agree, those first two trades are unlikely. But Hamhuis coming back from injury would be worth a 2nd. Vrbata right now is worth a low 2nd. If we add on those two picks I think we could get it done.

Hamhuis coming back is still iffy and we would have to see what his performance will be then, but maybe yes a 2nd for each, a low second. It would take quite a bit more to go from a second to a  first however. Fewer firsts are traded each year it seems. Teams are learning.

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

I wasn't really saying it was the right thing to do, I was just saying it's something Benning would do. 

You gotta look at the flip side, an organization is giving up on a prospect for a draft pick. That's a pretty bold statement in itself. 

My hope is that Benning has reviewed exactly why this team was in the depleted position that it was when he arrived, and he retains those picks. 

And there obviously no guarantees that the pick they get from us will help them, so yeah it's a bit of a statement, and I'm not saying there is no value in attempting reclamation projects, just that maybe we'll have better luck with draft and develop.

Who knows. The fringe position team is in overall at the moment, the uncertainty of what the trade market will look like at the deadline and draft day, you may end up being right [in saying he'll move anther 2nd] and we may end up with a diamond. I'd rather take our chances at the draft.

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

As for our needs, we definitely need to draft some defence. Best player available only works if you think you can swap him 1 for 1, or in a package for the dman you covet if one isn't available at the draft.

No recent draft and trade comes to mind, so forget best player available and just draft the best defenceman available. It wouldn't bother me if we took D in the first 3 rounds, then another 1 later. 

This 1st round is deep with forward talent. Passing on a potential 1st line fwd for a lesser Dman would be dumb. 

1st round = BPA. 

1 hour ago, Bert Diesel said:

Who would you suggest? We would have to give up a lot more to get a young guy. it might serve us better to plug that gap temporarily and develop some young guys on our own. Look how badly Calgary paid for Hamilton.

For D

A young high end prospect like Bowey comes to my mind, (imagine a Bowey and Juolevi pairing)  His availability will all come down to when/if the caps re-sign Orlov.  

If we were willing to part with a bit more Hamonic, and Gudbranson are two others I would target.

Then I'd be hoping we'd be able to come with 3 D in the first 90.  Depending where we pick Chychrun = Sergachev, Juolevi, Fabbro

I don't know if I'm too concerned about the grade A offensive prospect, right yet anyways. I like what we have in youth upfront.  Depending on how some of these players pan out we could have a fairly balanced attack, both the first and second line will be equally as strong..  

Based on the deals we make to get a younger RHD,  In the summer i'd be going after a UFA D and top 6 forward.  In my mind our next year line up 

Sedin - sedin Sutter

Lucic McCann Hansen

Baertschi Hovart Rodin

Gaunce Cracknell Dorsett

Shinkaruk

Yandle Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Pedan Sbisa

Bowey/Tryamkin

Out

Burrows,Hamhuis,Vbrata,Higgins,Prust

IN

Rodin, Lucic, Yandle, Bowey

Just now, LaBamba said:

This 1st round is deep with forward talent. Passing on a potential 1st line fwd for a lesser Dman would be dumb. 

1st round = BPA. 

I think if we're in the top 8 I'd agree. After that look for a dman. Let's look at Edmonton and see how well they are doing with all of their great forwards they drafted. What would be dumb is if we didn't draft our biggest need.

Unfortunately even though I think it's defence, our forwards are only ahead by a thin margin, so it is easily debatable.

6 minutes ago, Green Building said:

My hope is that Benning has reviewed exactly why this team was in the depleted position that it was when he arrived, and he retains those picks. 

And there obviously no guarantees that the pick they get from us will help them, so yeah it's a bit of a statement, and I'm not saying there is no value in attempting reclamation projects, just that maybe we'll have better luck with draft and develop.

Who knows. The fringe position team is in overall at the moment, the uncertainty of what the trade market will look like at the deadline and draft day, you may end up being right [in saying he'll move anther 2nd] and we may end up with a diamond. I'd rather take our chances at the draft.

Also, most of these guys are pending RFA's that are waiver eligible the following season.

You are taking a big risk. You are forced to have this player on the team or you could lose both the pick and the player to waivers. 

See Lindy Vey. 

15 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Hamhuis coming back is still iffy and we would have to see what his performance will be then, but maybe yes a 2nd for each, a low second. It would take quite a bit more to go from a second to a  first however. Fewer firsts are traded each year it seems. Teams are learning.

Hamhuis is supposed to be back in February I believe. Timmonen last year got a 2nd (maybe more?) without playing a single game that season. Hamhuis has played and would be a solid addition to any team in the Playoffs. He might not be worth what he was before the season, but I still believe we can add those picks onto those players and get 1sts back from them. I feel more comfortable getting a 1st from Hamhuis than Vrbata.

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Also, most of these guys are pending RFA's that are waiver eligible the following season.

You are taking a big risk. You are forced to have this player on the team or you could lose both the pick and the player to waivers. 

See Lindy Vey. 

I knew next to nothing about Vey when he was in LA, other than he didn't fit into the Kings roster, and he doesn't seem to be putting it together here either.

It would be a shame to continue dishing picks away for players other teams would rather shed for said picks and expect different results is more or less where I'm coming from. 

There are exceptions I'm sure, but they tend to be valued higher than a 2nd rounder. 

Archived