The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's War plan: How to proceed into the deadline, draft and free agency

Bert Diesel

OP- I plussed you for the effort, good read and yes to keeping Hammer to help groom any young Dmen JB may be able to land; also the few we have in the cupboard.

I don't see this summer as the time to pursue expensive UFA's, that time will come, but it isn't now. 

Trade all peripheral / stale players for picks. 

35 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

I just noticed that, whoops. I think he's better suited to the small rink and will be successful if he just plays it very simple. Elite skating and hitting. So yes, obviously he adds to our organizational depth here.

At first, I was like, how could you forget our 6th overall pick xD.

But yeah, I agree with you on most parts. Were pretty good at prospect depth. I'd say, after this 2016 draft, we will probably be noticed as one of the teams with great prospect depth with quality players if not already. Hopefully, 2017 would put the icing on the cake. 

34 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Well, at the deadline I hope Benning can do one of three things:

1) VAN-NYI

To NYI:

Hamhuis (30% retained)

Sbisa

Higgins

2nd Round Pick 2016

4th Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

Hamonic

Bringing Hamonic over would help our D-core now and in the future. He would be the perfect partner for either Edler or Hutton. He can play top minutes and is right-handed. I'm not sure if this package would do, some things might have to be changed around. We lose both Hamhuis and Sbisa, but getting a #1/#2 defenseman like Hamonic would be worth it. Our top-4 would be Edler, Hamonic, Tanev and Hutton. That's pretty good. We have plenty of depth between Bartkowski, Weber, Biega and Pedan for the bottom 2 spots.

2) VAN-COL

To COL:

Hamhuis (40% retained)

Sbisa

Gaunce

2nd Round Pick 2016

4th Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

Barrie

Almost the exact same package, just for Barrie. Barrie is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league. He can put up points. His size won't be an issue if we pair him with Edler. That would leave Edler in a supporting role as well, which would probably be better for him. Again, our top-4 would be Edler, Barrie, Tanev and Hutton. That is also very good. Again, Bartkowski, Biega, Weber and Pedan can all battle for the bottom 2 spots.

3) VAN - Anybody

To OTT/FLA/NSH:

Vrbata

2nd Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

1st Round Pick 2016

To NSH/OTT/NYI:

Hamhuis

3rd Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

1st Round Pick 2016

This would leave us with 3 picks in the 1st Round at the Draft. From there we could make three selections, move two picks and make two higher selections, or try and package the picks plus more to move much higher and get one very high pick. All of these choices would be good. We would not be in any position to lose whatsoever come Draft day.

If any one of these deal(s) went through, it would be a great day for our team. We would get Hamonic, Barrie or a couple of 1sts. Even if we only get one 1st it will be a good day. Hopefully Benning can at least do something at the deadline.

Offering a contract in Free Agency will depend on if we can land Hamonic or Barrie at the deadline. Assuming we can't (because that is the most likely scenario), I would only offer two new guys contracts I think. We should be resigning some of our guys at the end of the year:

Jason Demers: 4-years, 4.45 million per

Darren Helm: 3-years, 2.75 million

Alex Biega: 3-years, 2 million per

Sven Baertschi: 3 years, 1.75 million per

Andrey Pedan: 3-years, 1.5 million per

Total Cap Spent: 12.45 million. We should make sure that all of our contracts are tradable.

*Trade Higgins if the offseason if one of the earlier packages doesn't work out.

Our lineup (going with just the Free Agents) would be something like this next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce - Sutter - Virtanen

Helm - McCann - Dorsett

Shinkaurik, Cassels

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Demers

Hutton - Biega

Pedan

Miller Markstrom

I think it would be better to get a trade done, but going through the Draft/UFA way would be much more likely. If we don't make any of those trades (except for Higgins in the offseason), we would have about 6 million in cap space. That, to me is crucial because it opens up so many more options for different scenarios. We could take a bad contract to increase value next year, we could bring in a higher caliber player through trade, etc. Having that space can do nothing to hurt us. It is not a bad thing,

I don't think that it is a good idea to give that much up.  The idea should be keep draft picks and prospects and trade away aging or old assets. 

50 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

when i read the heading, i thought benning had given a interview and said what his plans are...sort of misleading title...your just offering your opinion on what he should do...i liked what tiger williams said once...when asked why the canucks don't take the fans suggeations...tiger said, because the fans don't know what they are talking about...

my thought is while we believe we have sound opinons, management has to weigh many aspects of building a team...all you have to do is write down every suggestion and you'll find that not every fan can agree on everything. benning has a plan and says he is sticking to it...all the fans can do, is to see how close their opinions come to what the team does..

HaHa loved tiger Williams , the good old nucks , sucked watching Edmonton beat us nightly but that team played with heart

37 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Hamhuis is supposed to be back in February I believe. Timmonen last year got a 2nd (maybe more?) without playing a single game that season. Hamhuis has played and would be a solid addition to any team in the Playoffs. He might not be worth what he was before the season, but I still believe we can add those picks onto those players and get 1sts back from them. I feel more comfortable getting a 1st from Hamhuis than Vrbata.

well we will see, i think it is over optimistic because those 2 players have not exactly been stalwarts this year.  And of course who is to say if Hamhuis wants to go anywhere??

The way I see it, the trade deadline will go exactly the way it did last year. Last year, I believe Benning said that the insertion of all the injured players was like adding fresh blood into the lineup. With the addition of Sutter, Sbisa and eventually Hamhuis, the GM will see no reason to make any trades.

However, Benning might decide to sell players for picks if he believes there's an unlikely chance the team will make the playoffs.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

when i read the heading, i thought benning had given a interview and said what his plans are...sort of misleading title...your just offering your opinion on what he should do...i liked what tiger williams said once...when asked why the canucks don't take the fans suggeations...tiger said, because the fans don't know what they are talking about...

my thought is while we believe we have sound opinons, management has to weigh many aspects of building a team...all you have to do is write down every suggestion and you'll find that not every fan can agree on everything. benning has a plan and says he is sticking to it...all the fans can do, is to see how close their opinions come to what the team does..

there is # 1, 2016

33 minutes ago, Shaft said:

The way I see it, the trade deadline will go exactly the way it did last year. Last year, I believe Benning said that the insertion of all the injured players was like adding fresh blood into the lineup. With the addition of Sutter, Sbisa and eventually Hamhuis, the GM will see no reason to make any trades.

However, Benning might decide to sell players for picks if he believes there's an unlikely chance the team will make the playoffs.

Just my opinion, but even if we make the playoffs,. How far could this team seriously go? .. I think we get our 2 home games in the first round and thats it. The thought of us playing against any 1 team for a total of 7 games has us seriously smashed to bits.. especially against the size of any other team in the west.

This graceful slide we are on my be in our best interest..  It has been for any other club thats been in our position. .   Except the Oilers ;) 

43 minutes ago, Shaft said:

That's what gms say when they have junk vet contracts and developing rookies as trade assets.

If the Canucks can somehow draft in the top 6, I wouldn't be upset to see JB be aggressive to get into that top 3 where any one of them gives you a franchise player, imo.  If they draft 5-6, and offer up their 1st and one of Horvat or McCaan to get a top 2 pick where they would get one of Pulijarvi or Mathews, guaranteed, who would fill the spot of either Jared or Bo.  Its a lot to give, but I think any one of the top 3 has the potential to carry a franchise inside of 5 years.  

If they end up picking 3-4, perhaps they pull a Burkie and try to get the #2 pick with Horvat +.  Imagine drafting both the big Finns?

Pipe dreams probably, but not impossible either.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

If the Canucks can somehow draft in the top 6, I wouldn't be upset to see JB be aggressive to get into that top 3 where any one of them gives you a franchise player, imo.  If they draft 5-6, and offer up their 1st and one of Horvat or McCaan to get a top 2 pick where they would get one of Pulijarvi or Mathews, guaranteed, who would fill the spot of either Jared or Bo.  Its a lot to give, but I think any one of the top 3 has the potential to carry a franchise inside of 5 years.  

If they end up picking 3-4, perhaps they pull a Burkie and try to get the #2 pick with Horvat +.  Imagine drafting both the big Finns?

Bold moves indeed.

28 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I agree, its not exciting but it's the most likely scenario. 

26 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Just my opinion, but even if we make the playoffs,. How far could this team seriously go? .. I think we get our 2 home games in the first round and thats it. The thought of us playing against any 1 team for a total of 7 games has us seriously smashed to bits.. especially against the size of any other team in the west.

This graceful slide we are on my be in our best interest..  It has been for any other club thats been in our position. .   Except the Oilers ;) 

What should happen, and what is going to happen are radically different things. 

2 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I normally would agree, but vermette got a 1st last year and bielsa got a 2nd after THAT playoffs. Never can be to sure. Just my 2 cents 

I think Hamhuis can get a middle to late first rounder. But then again, if he's traded, he'll probably be traded to a contending team, which means that their pick is usually late in the first round. 

Vrbata will most likely get a 2nd. An early 2nd (so almost technically a late first rounder). 

Hansen is our best bet in getting a middle first round pick. 

Burrows, should management trade him, won't even get a 2nd rounder, I don't think. 

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's possible. 

Losing Horvat. He's going to be a real good player. I wonder if we can offer somebody else up. 

Say, our first round pick + Hansen, to move up. IF we have the 6th overall pick (again). We offer that, and a roster player (Hansen, Edler, etc). I'd hate to lose one of our most promising young players in Horvat. He's going to be a beauty for us for a long time, assuming he stays a Canuck. And he'll be more proven at the NHL level than say both Laine and/or Puljujarvi. 

This team doesn't need high priced UFAs on long term contracts. They are just a year or two into their rebuild, not putting the finishing touches on a team that's close to contending.

They need middle of the pack, 2nd or 3rd liners and useful Dmen on 1 or 2 year contracts. The type of players contending teams seek at the trade deadline to put them over the top.

Then they trade these players at the TDL as they approach UFA over the next 2 years. You get back a haul of picks and prospects. They can overpay these guys to sign here and retain some of the salary when you trade them. Contending teams are already up against the cap so retaining salary increases your players value.

Speed up the rebuild by accumulating lots of picks and prospects by making these types of signings and trades for the next 2 or 3 years and you're on your way.

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It's possible. 

Losing Horvat. He's going to be a real good player. I wonder if we can offer somebody else up. 

Say, our first round pick + Hansen, to move up. IF we have the 6th overall pick (again). We offer that, and a roster player (Hansen, Edler, etc). I'd hate to lose one of our most promising young players in Horvat. He's going to be a beauty for us for a long time, assuming he stays a Canuck. And he'll be more proven at the NHL level than say both Laine and/or Puljujarvi. 

The loss of Horvat is absorbed in drafting his replacement in AM or JP

Archived