The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's War plan: How to proceed into the deadline, draft and free agency

Bert Diesel

3 hours ago, Mattrek said:

You mean a player who brings leadership to a team? A player who has the ability to carry his team on his back? A player who can set a good example for new youth coming onto the team? A player who can score a lot of goals? That is what Horvat is.

Yip I know what Horvat brings, and he'll hopefully be a fantastic player for us in the future.

The remark was more towards people who think Higgens, Webber, Burrows, Jensen +a first etc. is going to get you picking top 2 or 3. This is what making bold moves means.

Not saying you should, but this is probably, what the asking price would be...

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

You don't trade either of Horvat, McCann or Virtanen to move up in the draft.

If there's a deal for the 1st overall and it costs us 5th overall + Horvat, I make that deal 7 days a week, and twice on Sundays. There are far more Horvats out there than there are Matthews's.

7 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

You don't trade a Bo Horvat to move up a few spots unless it's for Mathews. 

I think Pulijarvi is better than Mathews........all three are better than Bo, and i think bo is great, but I wouldn't blink at moving him for a shot at a player who will change the franchise.

6 hours ago, Mattrek said:

You mean a player who brings leadership to a team? A player who has the ability to carry his team on his back? A player who can set a good example for new youth coming onto the team? A player who can score a lot of goals? That is what Horvat is.

He's a great player, but he is not a franchise player.  

1 hour ago, Captain Woodget said:

If there's a deal for the 1st overall and it costs us 5th overall + Horvat, I make that deal 7 days a week, and twice on Sundays. There are far more Horvats out there than there are Matthews's.

The team that gets the 1st overall is not going to trade it, they will take Matthews and trade somebody else on their team to make room.

13 hours ago, Bert Diesel said:

This club has now has reasonable to above average prospect depth in the forwards with the likes of McCan, Horvat, Baertschi, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Boeser, Grenier and even Anton Rodin(scoring well in Sweden) all with potential to be NHL'ers. There are also some veteran guys obviously still being productive; Hansen, Sedins, a healthy Sutter, Vrbata and Dorsett being relatively effective in their respective roles.

We don't have a grade A offensive prospect but the glaring need on this team is on defense. Vancouver is weak in the big club, farm, and prospect pool compared to most of the league on the blue-line. Our blue-line has not had an elite puck mover in his prime since Ehrhoff and still lacks a physical presence.

We also don't know what we have in Pedan, Subban, Tryamkin and other prospects like Sautner and Carl Neil. Biega looks like he may stick and Sbisa has started to become more of an effective shutdown guy until his injury. Hutton has been a hugely positive surprise but would be better served being given easier minutes. Having him on an entry level contract for three years is incredibly positive for Vancouver and its fans.

Bartowski, Weber and Hamhuis before injury have been particularly horrendous. All three are in need of an upgrade if this team is to become a well-rounded contender while the Sedin's are still productive. With all three on expiring contracts I want to get your opinion on who we could target to upgrade the D for next season. I see no reason to make a trade for a d man this season. Go with what we have and load up in the draft. If were lucky we'll have one of the top 5-8 picks and be able to land one of Matthews, Puljarvi, Laine, Tkachuk, Nylander, Gauthier or one of the top defensive prospects like Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergaychev,  Fabbro. Draft the best player available; this draft is too important to not land a stud in this seemingly powerful draft year. We should accumulate picks in the draft for Prust, Vrbata, and anyone who would do us a favor and take Higgins, Bartowski or Weber. Hamhuis should stay only if he takes a significant haircut and signs for under 2.5 million for short term. His play has slowly declined and i'm sure this current injury will not help.STOCK UP ON MORE D MEN IN THE LATER ROUNDS OF THE DRAFT.

In the Summer prioritize a UFA from the current pool of defense-man. Overpay a little if we must. Don't worry about Lucic until one or two solid defenseman are signed.

We will have around 16-18 million in cap room

Here is what i'm thinking in regards to free agent priority.(estimated salaries) I'M NOT SAYING THESE GUYS WOULD SIGN HERE; JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH THE CANUCKS WOULD BE WILLING TO SPEND ON THEM.

1. Alex Goligoski 6-7 million

2 .Keith Yandle 6-8 million

3. Dustin Bfugylien if he can fit into the dressing room culture. 6.5-7.5

4. Jason Demers 4-5 million

5. Milan Lucic if he takes a hometown discount; we could stomach term. 5-6 million

6. Brian Campbell on a short term contract 3yr max. 4-5 million

7. Andrew Ladd : also B.C. connection 5.5-6.5 million; no more than 4 year term(that would make it un-likey)

8. Jiri Hudler 5.5-6.5

9. Resign Radim Vrbata 3.5-4.5

10. Kyle Quincey/Brayden Coburn/ Niklas Grossman  around 3-4

What do you people think? What would be your draft/ free agent priorities?

I actually think Hamhuis has a great hairline and he is usually well styled.  Not sure if a haircut will improve his play or affect any kind of contract status.

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

You don't trade either of Horvat, McCann or Virtanen to move up in the draft. They are already 2+ years into development and future core of the team. If you trade one of them you set yourself back a couple of years in the rebuild.

This team needs a couple more prospects that are further along in development, like JB made moves for Baer and Vey, he needs to add couple more like that, Drouin would be good.

Any of the other prospects sure, but none of Horvat, Canner, Virtanen or Hutton.

Mathews, Pulijarvi and Laine would all likely out produce all three right away.  Don't forget, all three are already playing professional hockey, against men.

9 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I quoted the wrong ombré 

Cheers bro, thought something was a bit off :) 

... Have to add that with the Draft composed the way it is, and the way it is so tight in the west, to tank in yhe last 10 gameswould not hurt us.. To guarantee a top 3 pick (at a 20% chance of claiming no.1) you have to hit rock bottom in the standings.   Regardless, interesting times for our club coming up.

2 hours ago, ice orca said:

The team that gets the 1st overall is not going to trade it, they will take Matthews and trade somebody else on their team to make room.

I agree, the 1s overall will not likely be moved, but 2nd or 3rd might be if the trading partner is only picking a couple of spots behind them and adding a horvat/mcCaan to the deal.

15 hours ago, Bert Diesel said:

This club has now has reasonable to above average prospect depth in the forwards with the likes of McCan, Horvat, Baertschi, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Boeser, Grenier and even Anton Rodin(scoring well in Sweden) all with potential to be NHL'ers. There are also some veteran guys obviously still being productive; Hansen, Sedins, a healthy Sutter, Vrbata and Dorsett being relatively effective in their respective roles.

We don't have a grade A offensive prospect but the glaring need on this team is on defense. Vancouver is weak in the big club, farm, and prospect pool compared to most of the league on the blue-line. Our blue-line has not had an elite puck mover in his prime since Ehrhoff and still lacks a physical presence.

We also don't know what we have in Pedan, Subban, Tryamkin and other prospects like Sautner and Carl Neil. Biega looks like he may stick and Sbisa has started to become more of an effective shutdown guy until his injury. Hutton has been a hugely positive surprise but would be better served being given easier minutes. Having him on an entry level contract for three years is incredibly positive for Vancouver and its fans.

Bartowski, Weber and Hamhuis before injury have been particularly horrendous. All three are in need of an upgrade if this team is to become a well-rounded contender while the Sedin's are still productive. With all three on expiring contracts I want to get your opinion on who we could target to upgrade the D for next season. I see no reason to make a trade for a d man this season. Go with what we have and load up in the draft. If were lucky we'll have one of the top 5-8 picks and be able to land one of Matthews, Puljarvi, Laine, Tkachuk, Nylander, Gauthier or one of the top defensive prospects like Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergaychev,  Fabbro. Draft the best player available; this draft is too important to not land a stud in this seemingly powerful draft year. We should accumulate picks in the draft for Prust, Vrbata, and anyone who would do us a favor and take Higgins, Bartowski or Weber. Hamhuis should stay only if he takes a significant haircut and signs for under 2.5 million for short term. His play has slowly declined and i'm sure this current injury will not help.STOCK UP ON MORE D MEN IN THE LATER ROUNDS OF THE DRAFT.

In the Summer prioritize a UFA from the current pool of defense-man. Overpay a little if we must. Don't worry about Lucic until one or two solid defenseman are signed.

We will have around 16-18 million in cap room

Here is what i'm thinking in regards to free agent priority.(estimated salaries) I'M NOT SAYING THESE GUYS WOULD SIGN HERE; JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH THE CANUCKS WOULD BE WILLING TO SPEND ON THEM.

1. Alex Goligoski 6-7 million

2 .Keith Yandle 6-8 million

3. Dustin Bfugylien if he can fit into the dressing room culture. 6.5-7.5

4. Jason Demers 4-5 million

5. Milan Lucic if he takes a hometown discount; we could stomach term. 5-6 million

6. Brian Campbell on a short term contract 3yr max. 4-5 million

7. Andrew Ladd : also B.C. connection 5.5-6.5 million; no more than 4 year term(that would make it un-likey)

8. Jiri Hudler 5.5-6.5

9. Resign Radim Vrbata 3.5-4.5

10. Kyle Quincey/Brayden Coburn/ Niklas Grossman  around 3-4

What do you people think? What would be your draft/ free agent priorities?

Bfugylien if he would sign with us is the one dman on that list I'd actually want.

For forwards, I'd take Lucic or Ladd.

This the year for a wholesale trade of this team. This draft is so strong, especially from Europe and USA.. Assets like Higgins, Verbrata, Dorsett, Erhoff, and even Miller along with other veterans that take up ice space can go and it won't take much away from the Canucks. Gathering talent now and making the Canucks a Younger team with speed will prove to be a wise choice. Travis Green is a great coach for teaching younger players how to be steady productive NHLer's .Utica is a strong AHL team and fights for points every night.. It will not hurt this team to grab a top 8 pick by missing the playoffs. We are only going to get 2 home games if we do make the playoffs because this team cannot score. 2 or three first rounders this year would not hurt this teams future at all.

Weber and Erhoff are good for a goal or 2 a game against especially if Verbrata is on the ice with them.on a fairly regular basis.

I can see Loui Eriksson being a fit with the team for the top 2 lines.

The Canucks might want to pick up a D-man as well via UFA.

I hope we get snag a first or a few seconds for this upcoming draft via trades of our UFA players.

Dear Mr. Jim Benning

You don't trade Horvat. He has more value. He is a shut down performer with faceoff skills(good ones are hard to find) and a young leader. Clearing veterans for the sake of salary caps is not a bad thing. There will be better bargains at the end of the season. Hamuis can go and Miller for too that matter. Verbrata is one of the worst defensive forwards and leaves defense men out to dry all the time and is not a good resignee option.  The time has come to use your Brains and not your heart. The Comets will go deep into the AHL playoffs  again and will provide  invaluable for players on the cusp as it did last year with Markstrom, and Baertchi.

15 hours ago, Green Building said:

As for our needs, we definitely need to draft some defence. Best player available only works if you think you can swap him 1 for 1, or in a package for the dman you covet if one isn't available at the draft.

No recent draft and trade comes to mind, so forget best player available and just draft the best defenceman available. It wouldn't bother me if we took D in the first 3 rounds, then another 1 later. 

so, your saying, that if we win 1st pick over all, we should draft chychrn...?

Ahh good old CDC, where you trash a player in one thread, and say they will go bat$&!# crazy if GM doesn't trade them away in the next thread.

If the players are so bad that you need to constantly trash them, what makes you think anyone would want to trade assets for them???

I actually don't think Benning will be doing much this deadline, the players that most want are our young players, and unless teams want to trade for Vey, I don't see us trading any of Bo, McCann, Virt, or Baertschi. The players we WANT to trade away, are pretty immovable if you ask me. Most likely player is Vrbata, and he hasn't exactly been lighting it up to warrant a good return.

2 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

Ahh good old CDC, where you trash a player in one thread, and say they will go bat$&!# crazy if GM doesn't trade them away in the next thread.

If the players are so bad that you need to constantly trash them, what makes you think anyone would want to trade assets for them???

I actually don't think Benning will be doing much this deadline, the players that most want are our young players, and unless teams want to trade for Vey, I don't see us trading any of Bo, McCann, Virt, or Baertschi. The players we WANT to trade away, are pretty immovable if you ask me. Most likely player is Vrbata, and he hasn't exactly been lighting it up to warrant a good return.

Would you trade Hansen?  He's certainly a player (older) who top teams would want for their Cup runs.  Now what's his value?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would you trade Hansen?  He's certainly a player (older) who top teams would want for their Cup runs.  Now what's his value?

Now don't quote me on it, but doesn't Hansen have a limited NTC?

I personally wouldn't mind trading Hansen for fair value, now what fair value is, depends on who you talk to.

Hansen is obviously replaceable now since we have a similar player in Virtanen :lol:

16 hours ago, Bert Diesel said:

But I was referring to the forward depth alone. We are mostly weak because we have nothing in the D pool as I made clear.

Bert we are still struggling for goal scoring on your list imo. I seriously doubt we have a 1st liner amongst them and it worries me.

If we get a high draft pick I will be gutted if we don't pick a player with elite scoring capabilities. From the limited views I have had of Subban and Tryamkin they both appear to be capable of being puck moving Ds.

4 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Bert we are still struggling for goal scoring on your list imo. I seriously doubt we have a 1st liner amongst them and it worries me.

If we get a high draft pick I will be gutted if we don't pick a player with elite scoring capabilities. From the limited views I have had of Subban and Tryamkin they both appear to be capable of being puck moving Ds.

One of the two Finns, or both Finns.  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

One of the two Finns, or both Finns.  :rolleyes:

Amen to that Alf. If that happened I would be drunk for a week :)

One thing troubles me though reading some of the posts above.

I would hate to give up any of the players we have in Utica without seeing them for a lengthy spell up here in Vancouver. 

The truth is some players light up in the NHL and I don't want to see Gaunce or even Jensen break out for another team and leave us looking stupid. We have invested a lot of work in these guys. On a minor scale, look at Biega, how would we feel if we had traded him for buttons and then seen him play like he is doing now while we are still clinging onto Weber and Bart.

Archived