The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's War plan: How to proceed into the deadline, draft and free agency

Bert Diesel

Benning is in a tough spot though just cause every team in the Pacific division sucks. So even though they have not won as many games as others, they still got a chance at a playoff spot. As of now, no one knows if they are buyers and sellers.

We have good prospects and they are great young kids but are they better than the other great young kids in opposing teams? I like McCann and Virtanen and all but at the same time, there are much better rookies in the league than what we have. Players like Domi, Duclair, Panarin, Eichel, Larkin....truly overshadows the rookies on the Canucks, The thing though is that most of these guys spent a little more time developing one more year in juniors and in the AHL. Usually only the special ones jump from juniors to the NHL at such a young age, Sometimes, I feel like they are still not ready for it yet. As of now, I like the promise of Horvat, McCann, and virtanen but to me, neither really scream out future first line center. I'm hoping Benning can pull off a good trade for a good young high end player.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

He's a great player, but he is not a franchise player.  

I look forward to coming back to this quote 3 years down the road when we see how much of a non-franchise player Horvat is.

2 hours ago, harpdog said:

This the year for a wholesale trade of this team. This draft is so strong, especially from Europe and USA.. Assets like Higgins, Verbrata, Dorsett, Erhoff, and even Miller along with other veterans that take up ice space can go and it won't take much away from the Canucks. Gathering talent now and making the Canucks a Younger team with speed will prove to be a wise choice. Travis Green is a great coach for teaching younger players how to be steady productive NHLer's .Utica is a strong AHL team and fights for points every night.. It will not hurt this team to grab a top 8 pick by missing the playoffs. We are only going to get 2 home games if we do make the playoffs because this team cannot score. 2 or three first rounders this year would not hurt this teams future at all.

Weber and Erhoffare good for a goal or 2 a game against especially if Verbrata is on the ice with them.on a fairly regular basis.

You do know this is 2016 right?

1 hour ago, Kakanucks said:

Ahh good old CDC, where you trash a player in one thread, and say they will go bat$&!# crazy if GM doesn't trade them away in the next thread.

If the players are so bad that you need to constantly trash them, what makes you think anyone would want to trade assets for them???

I actually don't think Benning will be doing much this deadline, the players that most want are our young players, and unless teams want to trade for Vey, I don't see us trading any of Bo, McCann, Virt, or Baertschi. The players we WANT to trade away, are pretty immovable if you ask me. Most likely player is Vrbata, and he hasn't exactly been lighting it up to warrant a good return.

If we can get a 2nd for Bieksa then we can definitely bare minimum get a 2nd each for Vrbata and Hamhuis. I think we can maybe even squeeze out a couple late firsts since at deadline time the prices go bonkers.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Bert we are still struggling for goal scoring on your list imo. I seriously doubt we have a 1st liner amongst them and it worries me.

If we get a high draft pick I will be gutted if we don't pick a player with elite scoring capabilities. From the limited views I have had of Subban and Tryamkin they both appear to be capable of being puck moving Ds.

I stated in the original post that we don't have A grade offensive depth. I agree with you. But our D prospects are much more worrisome. We still have some NHL talent that can score along with solid role players and some guys with upside in the forwards. I strongly advocate us picking one of the Finns or Matthews if we have the opportunity. I like the old-school philosophy of building from the net out. In 2011 we had solid goaltending and 7 capable defenders. We did not have a ton of firepower outside of the Sedins. Now we have more organizational depth in the forwards but only 4 NHL defenders and no guaranteed blue chip prospects. I would be highly sceptical of your claim that Tryamkin is a puck moving D; what are you basing this on? Subban perhaps, but he needs to make big strides in his Defensive game by all accounts.

1 hour ago, Mattrek said:

I look forward to coming back to this quote 3 years down the road when we see how much of a non-franchise player Horvat is.

He's one of my favourite players, but he's not a guy that can change the course of an entire franchise and carry them in his back.

40 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

I stated in the original post that we don't have A grade offensive depth. I agree with you. But our D prospects are much more worrisome. We still have some NHL talent that can score along with solid role players and some guys with upside in the forwards. I strongly advocate us picking one of the Finns or Matthews if we have the opportunity. I like the old-school philosophy of building from the net out. In 2011 we had solid goaltending and 7 capable defenders. We did not have a ton of firepower outside of the Sedins. Now we have more organizational depth in the forwards but only 4 NHL defenders and no guaranteed blue chip prospects. I would be highly sceptical of your claim that Tryamkin is a puck moving D; what are you basing this on? Subban perhaps, but he needs to make big strides in his Defensive game by all accounts.

Tryamkin seems like a defensive dman. HUGE, but don't know if he'll turn out to be an offensive dman. 

Hutton is the best bet to become an offensive dman in the NHL. 

Subban too (if only he can improve on his defensive deficits. 

I too, would pick either of the Finns or Matthews should we be given the opportunity to do so. 

But at this rate, looks like we will make the playoffs, and get a middling prospect. 

Still holding out hope for a top 3 pick.

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's one of my favourite players, but he's not a guy that can change the course of an entire franchise and carry them in his back.

Horavt will be a valuable player for this franchise moving forward. He's got the intangibles of a leader, even at the tender age of 20. 

Talent wise, your right. Horavt isn't a Drouin, or even a Matthews. Those guys' talent levels are a level above Horvat's. But you can't teach character, and Bo seems like he has plenty of that. Sometimes character + talent can bring you a long ways than just talent and little character. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Horavt will be a valuable player for this franchise moving forward. He's got the intangibles of a leader, even at the tender age of 20. 

Talent wise, your right. Horavt isn't a Drouin, or even a Matthews. Those guys' talent levels are a level above Horvat's. But you can't teach character, and Bo seems like he has plenty of that. Sometimes character + talent can bring you a long ways than just talent and little character. 

No argument here about Horvat, but you're never going to get a franchise player for anyone short of Horvat.  I love the kid, but would have zero issues of it meant getting Pulijarvi

1 minute ago, stawns said:

No argument here about Horvat, but you're never going to get a franchise player for anyone short of Horvat.  I love the kid, but would have zero issues of it meant getting Pulijarvi

We should just suck, and get a top 3 pick. 

That way, we would have the chance to draft any one of Matthews, or the Finns, and also keep Horvat. Win-win, in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

so, your saying, that if we win 1st pick over all, we should draft chychrn...?

If you read the rest of the thread you may have found my other post that suggests taking BPA if we draft in the top 8 or so. I think it would be a bit silly not to take Matthews if given the chance, but at some point an organization needs to draft based on its most glaring needs and not what player might be the best overall. I may sound a little contradictory, but it also depends on what the bigger plan Benning has for the team is. 

7 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

If there's a deal for the 1st overall and it costs us 5th overall + Horvat, I make that deal 7 days a week, and twice on Sundays. There are far more Horvats out there than there are Matthews's.

That deal was possibly there with Florida and JB didn't make the deal. I wanted JB to do it for Ekblad but he didn't and if he did pull the trigger he wanted to draft Sam Reinhart not Ekblad. So I'm glad he didn't.

15 minutes ago, Green Building said:

If you read the rest of the thread you may have found my other post that suggests taking BPA if we draft in the top 8 or so. I think it would be a bit silly not to take Matthews if given the chance, but at some point an organization needs to draft based on its most glaring needs and not what player might be the best overall. I may sound a little contradictory, but it also depends on what the bigger plan Benning has for the team is. 

Not if you're picking 5-6 spots ahead of his ranking.  Chycrun may not even be the top dman on draft day

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Not if you're picking 5-6 spots ahead of his ranking.  Chycrun may not even be the top dman on draft day

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by your first sentence. I agree Chychrun may not be the top Dman on drat day, but I am hoping we end up with 1 top D prospect. 

1 hour ago, Bert Diesel said:

Only on what I have read on the prospects forum. Hopefully we will see next season.

11 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by your first sentence. I agree Chychrun may not be the top Dman on drat day, but I am hoping we end up with 1 top D prospect. 

If you're picking 3-4 and you draft a guy ranked 7-8 because of organizational need, you won't be employed very long, imo.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

If you're picking 3-4 and you draft a guy ranked 7-8 because of organizational need, you won't be employed very long, imo.

Ah thanks, yes I agree completely, which is why I chose top 8 as a general cutoff for picking best player available. After that, consider team needs over who is ranked higher.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

i agree with that..

9 hours ago, Mattrek said:

well i think everyone will be happy if horvat ends up as good as kessler

kessler was not and is not a franchise player

seems unlikely that horvat would grow to to fit the franchise player role / tag

he might be a great player (maybe), but he is a developing player now, and is only approaching being good now

he is young and committed, those are good attributes

Archived