The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's War plan: How to proceed into the deadline, draft and free agency

Bert Diesel

Stamkos---  could it happen?

Cooper and Stamkos don't see eye-to-eye  (rumours of off ice issues and Cooper's benching of Stamkos in last minute--critical situations in last year's playoffs). With Cooper's recent extension, It is pretty likely Stamkos is gonna move on. It was brought up in tonight's game the abundance of cap room we potentially (lilkely) will have at the end of the year, so I can honestly see this happening. It is rumoured that Stammer will be looking for 11.5 mil a year, so how many other teams besides us would be able to afford to this, and would be in the hunt for a proven game changer?

Looks like Higgins will be gone as soon as the deadline and as late as the draft; I would be happy just to get his salary off the books regardless of the return. An extra 2.5 million freed up with no real expensive RFA's to sign.

This gives us around 18 million plus the cap rising would make it 20 million.

We have to replace

Prust= Gaunce/Grenier: savings of 1.5 million

Vrbata= Shinkaruk and Baertschi maybe can fill his role: Savings of 4 million

Higgins= Etem Saving 1.5 million

Hamhuis= himself or a UFA

Weber= Can be replaced by Biega/Pedan

Bartowski= UFA

With a minor raise to Biega we shouldn't have to raise the salaries of any of these replacements.

This puts the Canucks in a great Cap situation moving forward; We will have roughly 14-16 million in cap space to spend on 2-3 players. In this scenario, any one high priced free agent that wants to be here we will have room for; Lucic, Stamkos, Yandle, Goligoski, Bfyuglien, Demers, etc. And if we don't go all in on someone; we could likely sign 2-3 decent players.

After 2016-2017, Miller and Burrows come off the books, both are overpaid. Horvat and Hutton will need raises but they will not be massive. We can further upgrade after that season.

People are talking about this team being 4-5 years away. I disagree, call me an optimist but with shrewd free agent signings and the emergence of even 50% of our forward prospects, we are a contender again as early as next year. The team as currently constructed is not as bad as its record. The injury to Sutter has been huge and forced Horvat into tougher minutes. Watch Horvat thrive in a lesser role when he comes back. Also, Hamhuis and Sbisa's injuries have not helped but at least it's uncovered the fact that Biega is decent at the NHL level. Better than Bartowski and Weber IMO.

Can you imagine if we grab a top end prospect in this years draft as well? Maybe I have rose colored glasses on but if we suffer through this season, better times could be closer than we think. Remember Anaheim went from top in the league to terrible in 2012, came out of the draft with Hampus Lindholm and a few other young prospects and then were near the top of the league. This year they've regressed again. Sometimes in the salary cap era, the competition is so close that quick turnarounds happen every year.

Conspiracy theory: What if the Canucks announced their decision regarding Higgins today to send a message to the Stamkos camp? The proximity to the HNIC broadcast last night in which Freidman was talking about the Canucks ability to free up cap space and the somewhat bizarre way in which Higgins was let go today. Are they related? Or maybe I'm wearing a tinfoil hat?

2 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

Conspiracy theory: What if the Canucks announced their decision regarding Higgins today to send a message to the Stamkos camp? The proximity to the HNIC broadcast last night in which Freidman was talking about the Canucks ability to free up cap space and the somewhat bizarre way in which Higgins was let go today. Are they related? Or maybe I'm wearing a tinfoil hat?

So you took my hat.  It went missing a while ago.  :lol:

7 hours ago, Bert Diesel said:

Looks like Higgins will be gone as soon as the deadline and as late as the draft; I would be happy just to get his salary off the books regardless of the return. An extra 2.5 million freed up with no real expensive RFA's to sign.

This gives us around 18 million plus the cap rising would make it 20 million.

We have to replace

Prust= Gaunce/Grenier: savings of 1.5 million

Vrbata= Shinkaruk and Baertschi maybe can fill his role: Savings of 4 million

Higgins= Etem Saving 1.5 million

Hamhuis= himself or a UFA

Weber= Can be replaced by Biega/Pedan

Bartowski= UFA

With a minor raise to Biega we shouldn't have to raise the salaries of any of these replacements.

This puts the Canucks in a great Cap situation moving forward; We will have roughly 14-16 million in cap space to spend on 2-3 players. In this scenario, any one high priced free agent that wants to be here we will have room for; Lucic, Stamkos, Yandle, Goligoski, Bfyuglien, Demers, etc. And if we don't go all in on someone; we could likely sign 2-3 decent players.

After 2016-2017, Miller and Burrows come off the books, both are overpaid. Horvat and Hutton will need raises but they will not be massive. We can further upgrade after that season.

People are talking about this team being 4-5 years away. I disagree, call me an optimist but with shrewd free agent signings and the emergence of even 50% of our forward prospects, we are a contender again as early as next year. The team as currently constructed is not as bad as its record. The injury to Sutter has been huge and forced Horvat into tougher minutes. Watch Horvat thrive in a lesser role when he comes back. Also, Hamhuis and Sbisa's injuries have not helped but at least it's uncovered the fact that Biega is decent at the NHL level. Better than Bartowski and Weber IMO.

Can you imagine if we grab a top end prospect in this years draft as well? Maybe I have rose colored glasses on but if we suffer through this season, better times could be closer than we think. Remember Anaheim went from top in the league to terrible in 2012, came out of the draft with Hampus Lindholm and a few other young prospects and then were near the top of the league. This year they've regressed again. Sometimes in the salary cap era, the competition is so close that quick turnarounds happen every year.

Fully agree. Gone are the days of the NYR buying cups. Teams are very close in competition and the standings prove that. The team is slowly being put back into balance and we will soon be rid of the dreaded NTC's.

1. trade deadline

Vrbata + Shinkaruk + 2017 first for Shattenkirk

Burrows for anything without cap hit beyond the end of this year/waive - 4.5

Higgins waive -2.5

2.Free agency

waive Miller - 6

release Prust - 2.5

resign Hammer at 2.5 x 2 yrs -2 mill

release weber, bartowski = - 2.75

= -20.25 and - 5 players

Stamkos 9.5 mill

Lucic 6 mill

Reimer (look at the dude's numbers - WTF is happening in TO) 2.5-2.75 - him and Markstrom can ease Demko into the NHL over the next 4 - 5 yrs, his gf is from here, he trains here in offseason, good fit).

=18 mill for 3 players

=2.25 for 2 more players - Gaunce, Pedan

Lucic Stamkos Virtanen

sedin sedin Hansen

Beartschi Horvat Sutter

Etem Mcann Dorsette

Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Hutton Shattenkirk

Sbisa Hamhuis

Pedan

Markstrom

Reimer

That is a top 5 team in the league

8 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

1. trade deadline

Higgins waive -2.5

2.Free agency

waive Miller - 6

release Prust - 2.5

= -20.25 and - 5 players

Stamkos 9.5 mill

Lucic 6 mill

Reimer (look at the dude's numbers - WTF is happening in TO) 2.5-2.75 - him and Markstrom can ease Demko into the NHL over the next 4 - 5 yrs, his gf is from here, he trains here in offseason, good fit).

=18 mill for 3 players

Lucic Stamkos Virtanen

sedin sedin Hansen

Beartschi Horvat Sutter

Etem Mcann Dorsette

Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Hutton Shattenkirk

Sbisa Hamhuis

Pedan

Markstrom

Reimer

Not with Edler and Tanev as your top pairing on defence.

4 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

1. trade deadline

Higgins waive -2.5

2.Free agency

waive Miller - 6

release Prust - 2.5

= -20.25 and - 5 players

Stamkos 9.5 mill

Lucic 6 mill

=18 mill for 3 players

Lucic Stamkos Virtanen

sedin sedin Hansen

Beartschi Horvat Sutter

Etem Mcann Dorsette

Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Hutton Shattenkirk

Sbisa Hamhuis

Pedan

Markstrom

Reimer

I wish you were the GM. B) That team would be a team to contend with. 2/3 legit scoring lines. A PP Dman and depth at ALL positions. 

18 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I wish you were the GM. B) That team would be a team to contend with. 2/3 legit scoring lines. A PP Dman and depth at ALL positions. 

thanks bro - that is one big trade - it is fair and 2 massive signings, I think stamkos would consider us bc of big money and the sedins but he will has a ton of interest. The good news is, if we released miller, burrows, higgins (non major contriutors) we could even offer league maximum - not that I would want to because it sets a new standard, but we have a ton of cap space opening up over the next 1-3 yrs.

With how the Sedins, Markstrom and some of the young guys are playing I'm going back and forth on whether I want the team to make the playoffs. 

Either way I'd like Prust and Vrvata traded to make room for other rookies. 

5 hours ago, RyIe said:

With how the Sedins, Markstrom and some of the young guys are playing I'm going back and forth on whether I want the team to make the playoffs. 

Totally agree; I've never been so conflicted. I think it's wise either way to get more young players in the mix and accumulate more assets.

On a seperate note: If Higgins is in the minors as buried salary next year, How does that affect our cap? Does anyone have an exact number assuming we resign our RFA's Biega, Baertschi, Pedan, Etem.

I would think Biega gets 1.5

Baertschi 2

Pedan 600,000

Etem   1 million

What exactly is left over for Free agents? I'm not sure how Higgins factors in assuming no one claims him.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:49 PM, EdgarM said:

The only problem is the D: even with Shattenkirk, it isn't there yet.  Perhaps a draft pick or another signing would make up the difference.  I am conflicted over Edler: not sure if he is as bad as he has looked in the last 5 weeks.

I agree that we have to find a top 4 defenceman (or two) as a priority.

If Lucic is actually interested in taking a hometown discount, sure... but we do have a good number of solid wingers.

Going off the board, Boedker is probably an under the radar target I would go for.  Kind of like snapping up Vrbata when all the other teams were focusing on other players.  Fast as hell, young, and can play either wing.  Some injuries and hasn't put it all together, but he has also been on a terrible team.

6 hours ago, RyIe said:

Proust is gone regardless, he will want to be nearer to his wife. Vrbata has been so disappointing this year, it's almost like he's sulking because he isn't playing with the Sedins, he needs to go

Benning will do nothing at the trade deadline because the Pacific is so crap that the Canucks will be fighting for a playoff spot.

So we'll keep all our vets then either just miss the playoffs or just get in and be bounced first round.

Then we will get diddly squat for our vets putting this team back even further for the rebuild. 

Aqua will be happy as he gets some playoff revenue, fans will be happy because 'anything can happen in the playoffs ' loooool and Apollo will still be saying this team is elite.

2 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Proust is gone regardless, he will want to be nearer to his wife. Vrbata has been so disappointing this year, it's almost like he's sulking because he isn't playing with the Sedins, he needs to go

That's just the nature of playing with and without the Sedins.

If Bieksa can bring back a second I didn't see why Vrbata can't. And if Benning is willing to move an underperforming vet in Higgins for a so far underwhelming prospect with loads of potential in Etem, than an argument can be made that Virtanen deserves to take Vrbata's spot. 

After looking at the cap online and crunching some numbers here's the best guess I have for the cap situation next season:

With Higgins in the minors we save around 1 million in space.

With the rising cap in this scenario we will have around $20 million to spend

We resign:

Biega   1.5 mil

Pedan   600,000

Baertschi   1.7-2.1 million

Etem   1 million

We give Vey's spot to Gaunce/Shinkaruk or keep Vey

Grenier/Gaunce take Prust's spot

Out:

Prust

Vrbata

Weber

Bartowski

Hamhuis

23 man roster:

1.Miller   6 million

2. Markstrom   1.55

3/4: Henrik and Daniel  14 million

5: Burrows   4.5

6. Virtanen 895,000

7. Hutton 896,000

8. Edler  5 million

9. Tanev 4.45

10. Dorsett  2.65

11. Sbisa 3.6

12. MCcan  895,000

13. Etem 1 million

14. Hansen  2.5

15.Horvat 894,000

16. Baertschi  1.8

17. Biega  1.5

18. Sutter  4.3

19. Pedan  600,000

20/21: any two of Vey/Gaunce/Grenier/Shinkaruk 1 each million roughly

Around 59 million

plus Luongo and Higgins salaries= roughly 61.5

Leaving 11.5 million for two UFA's

22.  UFA 5.75 million

23. UFA: 5.75 million

For these prices I see Lucic and Demers as the most likely targets. And again, D needs upgrading more than any other position in the organziation IMO,

Archived