The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Blues' D Kevin Shatternkirk 'in play on the trade front'

86Viking

Here's another name to toss around as the NHL's Feb. 29 trade deadline inches closer: St. Louis Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk. His "name is in play on the trade front," reports Craig Custance in an insider-only piece at ESPN.

It's not that the Blues don't want to keep Shattenkirk around, Custance writes, it's that his contract - with a cap hit of $4.25 million - is up after the 2016-17 season, and the Blues are on a budget. Long-term salaries for Alex Pietrangelo - signed through 2019-20 at a cap hit of $6.5 million - and Jay Bouwmeester - locked up through 2018-19 at $5.4 million against the cap - are complicating matters.

Since Shattenkirk isn't a rental, he could play out the season in St. Louis, Custance adds, with the team potentially exploring an offseason trade. Either way, the soon-to-be 27-year-old will be a hot commodity as a right-handed shot who can work a power play.

Shattenkirk has eight goals - as many as he scored last season in 56 games - and 25 points in only 33 games. Fifteen of those points (four goals, 11 assists) have come with the man advantage. He's on pace to easily surpass his career high of 45 points, set two seasons ago.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/931554

---

gonna get a big raise after next year, can certainly run a PP, but what is he worth, not sure on his defensive end abilities? 6ft 200lbs so not tiny but not huge either.

Would cost alot to get I would presume but the emergence of Parayko maybe makes St.louis want to cash in on the return, but what do they need or want?

1 minute ago, Smiley2051 said:

A lot of people connecting the Blues to the Lightning, in play for a deal for Drouin?

true, but you would think there has to be more pieces involved, drouin alone should not net him.

Maybe drouin and one of koekkoek or deAngelo for shattenkirk and ?

I think with a player of his calibre you're gonna have to inquire, but the asking price will be massive. 1st + Virtanen + Hutton? I'm not sure that would get it done since Virtanen isn't a sure thing yet. Maybe if you throw in Horvat instead but the Canucks would balk at that.

Its not that we don't have the pieces to get it done, we just don't have an abundance of good young players to make it worth dealing a few away.

This would be risky imo, at his age/experience level, after next year he's UFA and I could see him seeking Pietrangelo money/term type of contract.  This is exactly why STL is open to letting him go for the right return.

If I'm JB, I'm not saying don't explore it, but I'd be careful. 

Archived