The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Blues' D Kevin Shatternkirk 'in play on the trade front'

86Viking

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

McCann 2nd and a 4th. 

Anything short of Boeser Demko or Virtanen  as your main piece(s) isn't getting him. And a d-man would have to go back or be moved in another trade. Can we realistically afford him? Assuming he's still in play.

I'd definitely move Virtanen in a deal for Shattenkirk.  But yes, I'd do McCann a 2nd and a 4th lol

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You might, but do you think JB would trade Virtanen for Shaitenkirk?

He's stupid if he doesn't.  Virtanen for Shattenkirk is a robbery for Vancouver; we'd have to add a lot more to get him out of St Louis

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

He's stupid if he doesn't.  Virtanen for Shattenkirk is a robbery for Vancouver; we'd have to add a lot more to get him out of St Louis

I didn't ask you that.  Do you see JB moving Virtanen for Shatenkirk.  I know you think he's stupid if he doesn't.  But would he?  

I don't think JB would do that deal.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I didn't ask you that.  Do you see JB moving Virtanen for Shatenkirk.  I know you think he's stupid if he doesn't.  But would he?  

I don't think JB would do that deal.  

Yes I believe he would, if he could move a defender out to make a spot for him

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

You might, but do you think JB would trade Virtanen for Shaitenkirk?

Straight up? I'd take that deal and run. And I am one of the biggest Virtanen fans around.  Shattenkirk is exactly what Edler needs in a d-partner.

I love Tanev but he brings little offence and isn't quick enough to drive play. Despite having a fantastic break out pass he brings little offensively. Edler is a good two way guy, brings a little of everything. I feel him and Shattenkirk would be a fantastic pair. I don't think Shattenkirk would come cheap though. For sure not Big Country by himself.

I think with Boeser's emergence Jake's place amongst our top prosects isn't that secure Benning would be 100% against trading him. With Brower on the market as well. If a deal can be made for a top 2 offensive d-man involving Jake comes knocking, he'd be hard pressed to ignore it. But a d-man would have to be moved out first imo.

If we pick a forward in the upcoming draft who may be able to step into the NHL soon (within 2 years) then we may be able to flip Virtanen + picks/defensive prospects for Shattenkirk.

For example Virtanen + Subban for Shattenkirk + late pick.

Draft Dubois to fill McCann's hole (an ugrade really) and draft a whole bunch of powerforwards in the later rounds.

Now:

Edler - Shattenkirk

Hutton - Tanev

Sbisa - Gudbranson

Tryamkin

That's one of the best, all rounded defences in the Western conference and suddenly a very tough one to play against.

In 2-3 years time when those forwards are ready to play, Shattenkirk will still be under or around 30 years old, Gudbranson will hopefully be in his prime in his late 20s as will Tanev and Hutton and Sbisa, and Edler will be playing a lesser role:

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa/UFA - Shattenkirk

Edler - Tanev

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we pick a forward in the upcoming draft who may be able to step into the NHL soon (within 2 years) then we may be able to flip Virtanen + picks/defensive prospects for Shattenkirk.

Draft Dubois to fill McCann's hole (an ugrade really) and draft a whole bunch of powerforwards in the later rounds.

Now:

Edler - Shattenkirk

Hutton - Tanev

Sbisa - Gudbranson

Tryamkin

That's one of the best, all rounded defences in the Western conference and suddenly a very tough one to play against.

In 2-3 years time when those forwards are ready to play, Shattenkirk will still be under or around 30 years old, Gudbranson will hopefully be in his prime in his late 20s as will Tanev and Hutton and Sbisa, and Edler will be playing a lesser role:

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa/UFA - Shattenkirk

Edler - Tanev

St Louis would laugh at that proposal, you'll have to offer up much more than that

I wouldn't want to trade Virtanen. We just lost one of our few top forward prospects in a trade for Gudbranson. If Virtanen's gone, who will be our future top 6 RW? Grenier? Rodin? That's just not enough to be competitive. Boeser hasn't signed with the Canucks (yet), so technically we don't have him. I think our D looks pretty good right now. 

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen

Sbisa

Pedan

Biega

37 minutes ago, mpt said:

St Louis would laugh at that proposal, you'll have to offer up much more than that

You have that backwards.  JB would laugh at St. Louis for such a pathetic return for JAKE.  St. Louis is already trying to speed up their team, but still play the physical game.  JAKE (the great) is exactly what they would want to accomplish that end.  JB would hang up the phone, and :frantic:

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You have that backwards.  JB would laugh at St. Louis for such a pathetic return for JAKE.  St. Louis is already trying to speed up their team, but still play the physical game.  JAKE (the great) is exactly what they would want to accomplish that end.  JB would hang up the phone, and :frantic:

Nah, Alf...they're right.  He's a top prospect,  but one who hasn't quite put it altogether yet. I think JB does do that deal, but there has to be an extension on the way for Shattenkirk. Next season might be a different story, but right now that's the way it is. I, personally would do the deal, but a contract extension has to be on the way immediately if he's not already signed. Also, our top 4 is set right now, so if there were another defensive move made, it would be upgrading the left side or trading Tanev to give us a different look. I know the latter will NOT BE popular around here in the slightest.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wouldn't want to trade Virtanen. We just lost one of our few top forward prospects in a trade for Gudbranson. If Virtanen's gone, who will be our future top 6 RW? Grenier? Rodin? That's just not enough to be competitive. Boeser hasn't signed with the Canucks (yet), so technically we don't have him. I think our D looks pretty good right now. 

I wouldn't either even though I think Boesser's a fairly safe bet.

Something like:

5th overall, ____, Boesser

Baer, Horvat, Virtanen

Is very likely our future top 6. We don't have the depth available after moving McCann to start moving those guys for other pieces.

We're going to have to be patient and likely a bit lucky to find that offensive D. Sadly someone else is probably going to snag Shattenkirk.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Can't see how a young winger with 2nd 3rd line upside that plays physical is worth a 40+ point 27 year old right handed defender.  My only concern with him is that her has 1 year left on his contract and then is a UFA.

Virtanen is disposable, Boeser is the guy that we shouldn't be giving up on.  I don't see the high end potential in Virtanen.  He doesn't have enough hockey IQ to be a top player IMO

22 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think blues are interested in another D coming back.  I think the whole reason Shattenkirk has become expendable (outside cap) is the play of Parayko and Edmundson.  I think they want a young forward.  Stl and Oilers have the perfect opportunity to make something happen.  Oilers need a PMD that shoots R.  and blues would like to draft local boy Tkachuk who's favorite team just so happens to be the blues. 

Well probably because his dad played for the Blues for the remainder of his career while he was growing up.

33 minutes ago, mpt said:

Can't see how a young winger with 2nd 3rd line upside that plays physical is worth a 40+ point 27 year old right handed defender.  My only concern with him is that her has 1 year left on his contract and then is a UFA.

Virtanen is disposable, Boeser is the guy that we shouldn't be giving up on.  I don't see the high end potential in Virtanen.  He doesn't have enough hockey IQ to be a top player IMO

Oh.  I disagree.  JV is an elite first/second line power forward.  He will be a huge part of our next core.  He will score 30 +, and influence every shift he's on the ice with his physical presence.  No way JB even wants this Shatenkirk.  He's a softy!  JB is building a Big Tough team.  

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Now:

Edler - Shattenkirk

Hutton - Tanev

Sbisa - Gudbranson

Tryamkin

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa/UFA - Shattenkirk

Edler - Tanev

That's a pretty interesting reason to draft Dubois, let's hope he can do McCann's hole some justice ;)

19 hours ago, mpt said:

I prefer a D that's a bit younger if we are throwing in Virty. 

5 hours ago, mpt said:

So you wouldn't have drafted him.  I find it hard to believe that the guy that did draft him feels the same way.

Archived