The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Blues' D Kevin Shatternkirk 'in play on the trade front'

86Viking

5 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

That's closer to fair, but the players' contract status isn't compatible.  Without a lengthy extension it is lunacy.

Getting Shattenkirk extending would be essential.  Don't think JB would make such a trade without getting a strong indication from Shattenkirks agent that he would resign and roughly for what amount.  I think that is pretty standard operating procedure.  We have traded for RFAs before and have resigned most if not all of them.  The same scenario applies to Gudbranson and no one is too worried.  

Now Edmonton would deffinately need to have him locked prior to making a similar trade.  

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Getting Shattenkirk extending would be essential.  Don't think JB would make such a trade without getting a strong indication from Shattenkirks agent that he would resign and roughly for what amount.  I think that is pretty standard operating procedure.  We have traded for RFAs before and have resigned most if not all of them.  The same scenario applies to Gudbranson and no one is too worried.  

Now Edmonton would deffinately need to have him locked prior to making a similar trade.  

Is that because there is a difference between restricted and unrestricted players?

And no, the chat with an agent may not be enough to bank on.

On January 8, 2016 at 2:34 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I think with a player of his calibre you're gonna have to inquire, but the asking price will be massive. 1st + Virtanen + Hutton? I'm not sure that would get it done since Virtanen isn't a sure thing yet. Maybe if you throw in Horvat instead but the Canucks would balk at that.

Its not that we don't have the pieces to get it done, we just don't have an abundance of good young players to make it worth dealing a few away.

i agree with this completely

On 6/1/2016 at 8:08 PM, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Virtanen, in my humble view, is going to bring a lot to the table.  He'll be a great player; the question will be how much he'll score, but either way, I think he'll be a force.  Shattenkirk is good, but also over-rated.  I'm not one to argue that we need an all-teenage lineup, cause I don't think that 27 is old, but in this case, I wouldn't want to move a 20 yr old for a 27 yr old.  If you think that Virtanen is going to be a key member of the group for a decade plus, and I do, it would take one hell of a player to make me pull the trigger.  If you aren't high on Virtanen, then yeah, that's different.  

Big Shat is not the only fish in the sea.

Ya he is,

D are really hard to acquire, top 4 D with first unit PP QB skills? Hardly ever happens

On 5/31/2016 at 6:39 PM, mpt said:

At that time, we were looking for some size into our lineup, drafting the local kid made the most sense.  Not saying Virtanen was a bad pick, just I don't believe he has high end potential

Smart money says he might be a 20-20 40pt. guy at best

Good, but not the foundational offensive piece this franchise needs to move into the next era:

Linden,Bure - Naslund, Bertuzzi, Sedin, Sedin.......whoa there! Who's next?

This is the question that had some of us screaming "roll the dice!" on draft day, hoping we over pay to acquire SOMEONE who could be a first line center for us in the years to come, because as all the greats say "It starts at Center" 

But nope! The truth is none of these slugs we've been sharecropping over the last couple years is gonna be THE GUY! Brock is not going to be the offensive force some people think he might be, I think his ceiling is something like David Booth in his prime, where Virtannen's is more like David Clarkson, would any of you feel secure in those two as our core? Demko is a goaltender, and that position has never been less important, any number of goalies can be had every off season, a high pick on a Goalie is a wasted pick,

McCann had some of us optimistic, till we saw him slink his way around the ice last season as if he didn't want to be noticed, what a disappointment that was, not that he didn't score, but that he didn't seem to want to stand out, he reminded me of Jordan Shceader,

So here we are, staring down a new draft and another "Great two way guy" that's not going to get the job done, JB and Trev need to pool every single mediocre asset we've shelped onto the compost heap and dump the whole load on whatever GM thinks his team needs quantity over quality,

I'm telling you all. Shaten-pass-the-percs isn't the answer, we need new blood on the FIRST LINE a CENTER ICE someone who wants to be a STAR!

It would be foolish to trade for shattenkirk, although the canucks have the pieces they lack the depth. Subtracting from the forward group even more than they have already would make them just as weak regardless if the defence is strong. Shattenkirk is in his prime now and will be an aging defenseman by the time the team is ready to compete again so might as well keep the assets and continue to develop and build some depth before making a move such as this.

"! Brock is not going to be the offensive force some people think he might be, I think his ceiling is something like David Booth in his prime, where Virtannen's is more like David Clarkson,"

I am am a glass Half full kinda guy, but how do the glass empty, broken and in pieces on the floor folks get thru the day?  It takes a lot of energy being that negative.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2016 at 5:45 PM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

"! Brock is not going to be the offensive force some people think he might be, I think his ceiling is something like David Booth in his prime, where Virtannen's is more like David Clarkson,"

I am am a glass Half full kinda guy, but how do the glass empty, broken and in pieces on the floor folks get thru the day?  It takes a lot of energy being that negative.

Hard work son!

Take your positive attitude and your welfare check down to social services, the big boy's got some bitching to do!

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:20 AM, terrible.dee said:

Good, but not the foundational offensive piece this franchise needs to move into the next era

Agree with the second statement, but I'd like to think I see 50-55 points from him at his prime.  I think that he was put into the NHL earlier than he should have been, and am *hoping* he will make the team and show his stuff this coming season.

We don't have the depth to land a fish this big. It would create more holes than it would fill. The only way I could see something like this working is if we took a negative contract to help St Louis sign a UFA or something. 

Found this on "stanleycup of chowder" a bruins blog site doing their mock draft...

To St. Louis:

• 2016 1st round BOS pick (14th)

• 2016 2nd round BOS pick

• Matt Beleskey

To Boston:

• 2016 1st round STL pick (28th)

• Kevin Shattenkirk

• Ty Rattie

Had to share it, just too good.

4 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Hard work son!

Take your positive attitude and your welfare check down to social services, the big boy's got some bitching to do!

I don't have the time and energy to commit to being the pinnacle of negativity.

May be because I work full time, while working a practicum half time, help my wife run a small business and raise our toddler. 

I will take the easy road and stay positive.

Maybe if I went on welfare or lived at home with my parents I could put that immense effort into being negative on a hockey forum.   

On June 6, 2016 at 7:54 AM, JC2 said:

It would be foolish to trade for shattenkirk, although the canucks have the pieces they lack the depth. Subtracting from the forward group even more than they have already would make them just as weak regardless if the defence is strong. Shattenkirk is in his prime now and will be an aging defenseman by the time the team is ready to compete again so might as well keep the assets and continue to develop and build some depth before making a move such as this.

Don't know if JB an company agree.  Almost every move they have made is to pay extra for proven assets vs futures. Shattenkirk would be a big move, and would require Tanev +. We do need to improve offence from our defence. 

Tanev + is painful, but for Shattenkirk, it could be worth it.  I would be worried that they could move Hutton for Shattenkirk. That would not be a good future move. 

On 2016-06-06 at 3:20 AM, terrible.dee said:

Good, but not the foundational offensive piece this franchise needs to move into the next era:

Linden,Bure - Naslund, Bertuzzi, Sedin, Sedin.......whoa there! Who's next?

This is the question that had some of us screaming "roll the dice!" on draft day, hoping we over pay to acquire SOMEONE who could be a first line center for us in the years to come, because as all the greats say "It starts at Center" 

But nope! The truth is none of these slugs we've been sharecropping over the last couple years is gonna be THE GUY! Brock is not going to be the offensive force some people think he might be, I think his ceiling is something like David Booth in his prime, where Virtannen's is more like David Clarkson, would any of you feel secure in those two as our core? Demko is a goaltender, and that position has never been less important, any number of goalies can be had every off season, a high pick on a Goalie is a wasted pick,

McCann had some of us optimistic, till we saw him slink his way around the ice last season as if he didn't want to be noticed, what a disappointment that was, not that he didn't score, but that he didn't seem to want to stand out, he reminded me of Jordan Shceader,

So here we are, staring down a new draft and another "Great two way guy" that's not going to get the job done, JB and Trev need to pool every single mediocre asset we've shelped onto the compost heap and dump the whole load on whatever GM thinks his team needs quantity over quality,

I'm telling you all. Shaten-pass-the-percs isn't the answer, we need new blood on the FIRST LINE a CENTER ICE someone who wants to be a STAR!

You, my sister and many so call Canuck fans have the same negative thoughts about the Canucks. 

I predict JV will be 30 goal, 50-60 points winger who hits like Raffi, skates like Carl Hagelin and have many girlfriends. 

Archived