The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade F Jensen to Rangers for F Etem

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While I do agree that the defense must be the primary area of concentration, the forward corps could use a player like Lucic. There have been games where the team has been manhandled and had no response. The grit that Benning has acquired in Prust and Dorsett isn't enough at all, and frankly, I'd like to see Benning not re-up Prust at the FA deadline.

If he is available on July 1st, I'd like Benning to sign Lucic.

But if it came down to choosing between making a huge investment in NHL ready defensemen (and I mean top 2/top 4 caliber) and signing FA forwards, I'd side on the defense,

id love to have lucic as well ..    there is no way in hell he's coming .  he loves l.a and l.a loves him .    they are gonna find a way to sign hi long term .  prepare yourselves .. he aint coming here .  not now anyway and not during a rebuild 

1 hour ago, theminister said:

I think our young W starts to look much better after this deal. That group has a nice mix of skills and traits. Etem, Virtanen, Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Boeser, Gaunce(maybe), Grenier.

Our C is fairly solid with Hank, Sutter, Horvat, McCann, Gaunce(maybe), Cassels. 

We have one of the three best G prospects in the world, in Demko, and Markstrom.

Now, we really need D. I wouldn't be shocked if all our first 3 picks were all D. Instant boost to the system. Maybe one more centre, if the right player is there at the time  

The collapse of the franchise has been greatly overstated, and the GM greatly underrated, IMO.  

Great post.

Between the size, speed and sheer muscle mass of Jake & Emerson Etem there is substantial room to employ match ups teams cannot handle.  We could add Lucic? But Lucic himself cannot keep up with the speed these two burners have.

Add to it the speed and extremely shifty puck skills on offer with Baertschi. To a (slightly) lesser extent with Shinkaruk. That they could play with larger pivots, whom still have speed, like Sutter and Bo should simply shelter and let them ply their trade.

It might not work?

But it probably will!!!

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

He identifies as black  though... like Obama and Blake Griffin so...

Where does he refer to himself as black? The article you cite the author uses the term black but Etem when quoted says African American or African Canadian.   

7 hours ago, theminister said:

I'll say this now and I wont regret it at all. 

If Etem works out...

It's the equivalent of getting a Bobby Ryan, for a lot less than he cost. 

A big IF that has been attached to this kid since he was drafted. Bobby Ryan? might be closer to David Booth.

8 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

id love to have lucic as well ..    there is no way in hell he's coming .  he loves l.a and l.a loves him .    they are gonna find a way to sign hi long term .  prepare yourselves .. he aint coming here .  not now anyway and not during a rebuild 

That's why I would love to have a gritty player in the back end. With the depth in forward that the Canucks have right now, We currently have Virtanen, Dorsett, who play a similar role to what Lucic can bring. I would rather the Canucks get a guy in the back that can do some damage in the backend.. Byfuglen would be better for the Canucks if they were going to make a splash in free agency. How many players would take a run on the Sedins if Buff is on the ice.

Buff is a bit old for us and with his size long term is he going to slow down and be less effective? I would target a younger D man via trade, offer sheet of ufa.

Maybe LA goes for Buff and allows Lucic to go.

Is buff worth a 6-8yr commitment at what 6-8m, with a nmc? He will be 31 when is is a ufa. His production is down this year also, been slowly trending down ppg wise the last couple years.

I would worry about his fitness if he got a mega deal

52 minutes ago, ice orca said:

A big IF that has been attached to this kid since he was drafted. Bobby Ryan? might be closer to David Booth.

If this guy can score 30 goals in a season, like Booth did, it's a success. Booth was established, but the concussion must have changed the way he played.

9 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

Don't be so sure of that. What does the dude say?

"Lucic. How do you like playing for the Kings?"

"Yeah I hate the team I'm playing for right now. Can't wait to win a Cup with them and then leave for my childhood dream team and win multiple Cups with the Canucks"

Politics always outweighs actual truth.

34 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If this guy can score 30 goals in a season, like Booth did, it's a success. Booth was established, but the concussion must have changed the way he played.

If this guy doesn't turn out to be Gretzky, he's bust.

Did I do this right?

People are getting carried away with his potential. Let's focus on what he is right now, a solid 6'1" 212, great skater and adept on the fore check. He also has Wellwood-esque low penalty numbers over the entirety of his career. He's a guy that's going to add speed, fore check all without landing himself in the box. This is a solid contribution. His only problem is not being a prolific scorer out of the gate, as Anaheim or NY had hoped. Their impatience is our reward. 

Let's set a realistic expectation, that Etem can play Higgins out of a regular gig by the end of the season. If he accomplishes that, we've won the trade. Though it's hard to conceive ever actually losing this trade as the 6th is so irrelevant and Jensen was quickly approaching waiver status after being buried by our young wing depth in Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Grenier, Virtanen and even Kenins. Etem alone has already vaulted up our depth chart. 

Stay positive people, and keep the expectations realistic.  

10 hours ago, theminister said:

Sedins-Hansen

Burrows-Sutter-Etem

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett

Kenins

2 of Yandle/Goligoski/Buff

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Hutton

Pedan-Tryamkin

Miller-Markstrom

We have enough forwards even if we lose Vrbata, Prust, and Higgins, for whatever return. If Burr will waive next season in the last year of his deal then trade him and bring up Shinkaruk.

That could be a pretty competitive team. That lineup could produce goals and be pretty decent defensively. 

Maybe we get lucky and get to draft a D like Chychrun. Then maybe we just need one D. 

The more I think about it the more I'm beginning to think we should be going gangbusters after Byfuglien even if we have to give him term. 

I would move burrows this year, we could use that salary, he just isn't the same player and the refs seem to have him marked, if Vey continues improving then slot him in or try Shinkaruk

11 hours ago, theminister said:

Frankly, I'm so confident in our Forward situation after this deal that I don't think we need to target a Forward at all in FA. Combined with the retaining vets, whomever they may be, I think we should just run with that. No Lucic, no Ladd. 

This may be unconventional but I think we should target the two best D we can get on the FA market. No forwards. Even if it means long term contracts it will insulate our minors depth. If we draft 3 more D high this go around then we can wait for that depth to build up, and see what we've got. 

If we can severely upgrade our D for next year, and buoy up the system too, then I think we start to look in darn good shape, actually. 

Not bad at all. Work yet to do, sure, but it's not all Mordor, Apocalypse, and the Dark Side.  That's what I see. 

Oh man, I like where you're going with this. I doubt we get Buff but just imagine:

Yandle/Goligoski, Buff

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Sbisa

Pedan, Tryamkin 

Sweet Jeebus yes! 

Even with an admittedly somewhat young and likely inconsistent forward group, that team would be a lot less fun to play against. 

Only thing I'd be worried about would be the term required to get those guys...

20 hours ago, theminister said:

I'll say this now and I wont regret it at all. 

If Etem works out...

It's the equivalent of getting a Bobby Ryan, for a lot less than he cost. 

I'd settle for an EKane lite, sans attitude ;)

Really hoping (expecting) JB uses some of that cash for the back end.  Yandle/Goligoski would be nice and we certainly need SOMEONE who can play the PP, but I'd really rather see some size and nasty back there, even with Pedan close and Tryamkin possibly on the horizon.  If Sbisa can pick up where he left off, then maybe that'd suffice.  Let's make teams start being afraid to come into our zone and camp in front of the net.

Archived