The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

Gstank29

41 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Chemistry goes a long way, and maybe he just wasn't able to get a solid footing in NY.  I have a feeling that WD and the coaching staff work with him and bring him along just like Sven, Virtanen, and McCann. 

If him and Vey can re-kindle their chemistry, and he brings the speed and net drive like Virtanen look out.  That line could really do well. 

It sounds like WD has accepted that he's not going to be able to shelter these young guys the way he was at the start of the season. Sounds like Etem Vey Virtanen is going to be a line tonight so that's a huge step.

We all know what AV's doghouse looks like. If AV didn't like Etem he would have been hard pressed to get into a position to succeed. From the interviews that I've heard, Etem's confidence has hit rock bottom, so there's nowhere to go but up.

9 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

It sounds like WD has accepted that he's not going to be able to shelter these young guys the way he was at the start of the season. Sounds like Etem Vey Virtanen is going to be a line tonight so that's a huge step.

I don't think WD "accepted" anything, especially fan criticism.  Those young guys are earning added mins and responsibility.  All WD did was bring them along slowly.  You can definitely bet JB/TL were fully behind the approach as well.  With Etem I'm sure they will gauge where he is at and work with him as well.

2 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I don't think WD "accepted" anything, especially fan criticism.  Those young guys are earning added mins and responsibility.  All WD did was bring them along slowly.  You can definitely bet JB/TL were fully behind the approach as well.  With Etem I'm sure they will gauge where he is at and work with him as well.

It's WD's call to scratch Cracknell tonight and I have no doubts that WD isn't icing a young lineup to appease the fans, but he wouldn't have iced this lineup at the beginning of the season. Whether he thinks that everyone in the lineup tonight has earned their spot or there's a mandate from management to just play the youth and see what they can do is debatable. 

Personally I think that management had the 1/2 way mark of the season to assess where the team was at and have decided that being a .500 team isn't good enough. With Etem basically falling into their lap it signals that they are willing to go full rebuild and let the chips fall where they may. 

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks 9m9 minutes ago

"You only get so many chances in this league. I want this to be my last stop, I want to wear this jersey for the rest of my career" - Etem

Who does he think he is...a Sedin?-_-

Seems like people have some high expectations on this guy.  Hope Nuck fans give him some time to adjust his game and learn the team systems.

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

You'd think people would catch on after watching pretty much the same thing with Horvat last year...

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I like this statement. Good on Emerson.

I also approve!

I think we should give him about a month before we start criticizing him. Let Willie get him up to speed on the systems. Let him get to know the guys off the ice, as that is the biggest factor in playing with them on the ice. Let him get some confidence back slowly.

I really like his potential with our lineup. Playing with Horvat and Baertschi could be a great fit as he could provide some extra size and speed for the other two to make plays. He could be a guy who works well with McCann being a big body that can go to the net and make some plays. Of course, he could have some chemistry playing with Vey. In the future, if he's not a 2nd liner, he would look great playing with Gaunce and Cassels on the 3rd line. No shortage of options for current and future uses for this guy. Love it. 

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

You'd think people would catch on after watching pretty much the same thing with Horvat last year...

There's a question as to whether or not that was the right tactic at the beginning of the season though. It's hindsight at this point and completely hypothetical, but would the team have given up leads late in games if WD hadn't shortened his bench so much? Despite playing well, Virtanen McCann and Baertschi were barely getting a sniff of the ice in 3rd periods early on. That forced lines to be juggled and the shortened bench just wasn't able to close games out. IMO WD's decisions were based more on emotion and wanting to protect the youth, rather than awarding ice time on merit. If anything his experience with Horvat should have made it easier to trust the young guys early on.

It will be interesting to see if the Etem Vey Virtanen line gets ice time in the 3rd tonight. If we're supposed to be a 4 line team the way we were last year, we have to roll 4 lines for 60 minutes. If the kids make mistakes you live with it, but it doesn't do any good to shelter them at the expense of your own 'roll 4 lines' mentality. 

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

There's a question as to whether or not that was the right tactic at the beginning of the season though. It's hindsight at this point and completely hypothetical, but would the team have given up leads late in games if WD hadn't shortened his bench so much? Despite playing well, Virtanen McCann and Baertschi were barely getting a sniff of the ice in 3rd periods early on. That forced lines to be juggled and the shortened bench just wasn't able to close games out. IMO WD's decisions were based more on emotion and wanting to protect the youth, rather than awarding ice time on merit. If anything his experience with Horvat should have made it easier to trust the young guys early on.

It will be interesting to see if the Etem Vey Virtanen line gets ice time in the 3rd tonight. If we're supposed to be a 4 line team the way we were last year, we have to roll 4 lines for 60 minutes. If the kids make mistakes you live with it, but it doesn't do any good to shelter them at the expense of your own 'roll 4 lines' mentality. 

Almost all players are sheltered in some way.  It's the coach's job to put every player into spots to succeed.  It's not sheltering, it's good coaching.

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

If anything his experience with Horvat should have made it easier to trust the young guys early on.

Perhaps it's not ALL about just trust?

Perhaps there's a method to WD's apparent 'madness'...

Just now, Alflives said:

Almost all players are sheltered in some way.  It's the coach's job to put every player into spots to succeed.  It's not sheltering, it's good coaching.

My point is you're not in a position to fail or succeed when your butt is stapled to the bench. I appreciate that it was a nearly an impossible situation for WD to take on 3 raw rookies, but with the floodgates opening as far as youth and this team are concerned, there's no more reason to shelter/good coach :P anyone.

He looks like a meaner Jake Virtanen out on the ice and slightly more polished. With Virtanen, Horvat, Etem, Gaunce and even Boeser we've got a lot of fast, relatively big bodies that are going to be planted in our top-6 for a while. Paired with skilled guys like Shinkaruk, Baertschi and McCann I think we can brew something special here.

Emerson Etem, to me, looked like Sutter out there. Nothing wrong with having another Sutter-type player, especially one that plays mean and fast. Etem schooled Jarg on that overtime penalty.

He should turn out to be excellent and also make Vey look and play much bigger.

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Emerson Etem, to me, looked like Sutter out there. Nothing wrong with having another Sutter-type player, especially one that plays mean and fast. Etem schooled Jarg on that overtime penalty.

He should turn out to be excellent and also make Vey look and play much bigger.

I think he's 20 Lbs heavier than Sutter, but he certainly will help Vey.

Archived