The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

Gstank29

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rangers were sending him, or had just sent him down, for conditioning reasons.  I'm hoping the guy needs to get more fit, because if he gets tired so quickly, and he's fit, he's got some physical limitations.  We are not all gifted the same aerobic capacity.

Conditioning stint does not mean his conditioning is poor. It means he either hasn't played a game in a long time (ie- Corrado/Toronto), or he hasn't played much & very many minutes in the games he has played. So he is not used to being ready to play. Based on him only playing 19 of the 40 games this year, I'd say a few games in the AHL would do him good to get back up to be prepared for NHL game speed.

I'm really curious to see this guy with Baertschi. Bart is historially considered a playmaker while Etem's more of a goal scorer. Speedy playmaker with a speedy goal scorer? Yes please! Throw in Bo in the middle to grind it out and this might be a fun young line to watch. :)

5 minutes ago, sharbinder said:

Conditioning stint does not mean his conditioning is poor. It means he either hasn't played a game in a long time (ie- Corrado/Toronto), or he hasn't played much & very many minutes in the games he has played. So he is not used to being ready to play. Based on him only playing 19 of the 40 games this year, I'd say a few games in the AHL would do him good to get back up to be prepared for NHL game speed.

I'm excited about this guy too, but why is he coming here for basically NOTHING?  What's the catch?

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm excited about this guy too, but why is he coming here for basically NOTHING?  What's the catch?

He wasn't a valued member by the Rangers, time for him probably ran out, waiver eligible, wanted to get something for him atleast. Thrilled to have him over Jensen. Hated the pick, didn't see any improvement over the years, don't see an NHL future for him.

Etem is a project, but a good one at that. I think he will be a good fit and will actually provide something for the NHL team. 

This kid should have turned out better than he has so far.

Comes from a family with a real athletic pedigree.

Good speed, decent size, and real skills.

Showed excellent abilities in junior.  61 goals in the WHL is nothing to laugh about.

Came up to Anaheim, and had a decent first year between the AHL and NHL... but for some reason trailed off.

This kid is one of Benning's PROJECTS, just like Baerschi.

The only thing I am worried about is he might be a bit of a Party Animal... like Kassian.

Was known for his complaint about the lack of nightlife in Medicine Hat and also Buffalo when he played the World Junior's there.

If he has a substance abuse problem, then we have an issue.

One clue is his weight in junior was 190... but he is now listed at 210, which is a BIG gain in weight even from 18 to 23.  Unless he is pounding back the Brewskies.

But Jensen wasn't really panning out... for what reason it is hard to tell since he had all the physical tools to be an NHLer.

Just now, DeltaSwede said:

He wasn't a valued member by the Rangers, time for him probably ran out, waiver eligible, wanted to get something for him atleast. Thrilled to have him over Jensen. Hated the pick, didn't see any improvement over the years, don't see an NHL future for him.

Etem is a project, but a good one at that. I think he will be a good fit and will actually provide something for the NHL team. 

Can you see why no other NHL teams didn't offer more for him?  He's big, fast, skilled, tough, and has proven he can raise his game in the playoffs.  I love the trade, but still don't see why we got him for just Jensen and a sixth?  I guess the old adage of don't look a gift horse in the mouth applies here?

21 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Showed excellent abilities in junior.  61 goals in the WHL is nothing to laugh about.

Came up to Anaheim, and had a decent first year between the AHL and NHL... but for some reason trailed off.

The only thing I am worried about is he might be a bit of a Party Animal... like Kassian.

Was known for his complaint about the lack of nightlife in Medicine Hat and also Buffalo when he played the World Junior's there.

One clue is his weight in junior was 190... but he is now listed at 210, which is a BIG gain in weight even from 18 to 23.  Unless he is pounding back the Brewskies.

But Jensen wasn't really panning out... for what reason it is hard to tell since he had all the physical tools to be an NHLer.

I had not heard these issues about Etem, but they make some sense.  There has to be a reason why he's basically free.  I still love the deal though!

low risk trade for both sides

underperforming young player who was a relatively high draft pick

both needed a change of scenery

if either player ends up in the nhl regularly as a result .. i would not complain about which side did better

this is more about trying to get the player developed better

both are more or less written off by their previous team, and i agree that jensen was done as a canuck

and we'd seem him diminishing here

Just now, coastal.view said:

low risk trade for both sides

underperforming young player who was a relatively high draft pick

both needed a change of scenery

if either player ends up in the nhl regularly as a result .. i would not complain about which side did better

this is more about trying to get the player developed better

both are more or less written off by their previous team, and i agree that jensen was done as a canuck

and we'd seem him diminishing here

Did the Rangers get anything more than only Etem in the Haglund trade?  

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They traded for him and gave up a pretty good player in Hagelin. Sometimes a player doesn't gel with a coach. He only played 19 games in NYR didn't fit in. 

This is a great trade. If he can be a 3rd liner for this team this is a huge win. Jensen was a bust and a 6th is a throw in, has very little value. 

Conditioning stint means he hasn't played much lately so they send him down to get into game action, which is much different than practicing. 

Didn't Desjardins coach him back in Junior when he tore up the league? I'm thinking Willie had a say in this trade and Benning heavily got his input. I'm confident that Willie can help Etem turn it around. And when Shinkaruk arrives, the two will be a great tandem on ice and lockeroom presence.

Then again, WD coached Linden Vey too. Still, I think Etem has much more raw ability. This should be interesting. Either way, we got him for pretty much nothing.

Now lets just focus on some defence

35 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Well usually if it's drugs people lose weight, so that's a good thing that he gained....

I don't think Benning would trade for him if he had a substance abuse problem.

I think he would do really well on a line with Bear and Bo and of course Hunter eventually.

Archived