The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

Gstank29

I like this trade. It was no surprise Jensen got traded, he kind of fizzled out and wasn't really a Benning-type player; Etem on the hand is exactly a Benning-type player.

I'm not sure if Etem will turn into an impact NHLer, but he certainly has a better shot at it than Jensen. It will be interesting to see what type of role the Canucks use him in. 

2 minutes ago, TheLiveWire said:

Didn't Desjardins coach him back in Junior when he tore up the league? I'm thinking Willie had a say in this trade and Benning heavily got his input. I'm confident that Willie can help Etem turn it around. And when Shinkaruk arrives, the two will be a great tandem on ice and lockeroom presence.

Then again, WD coached Linden Vey too. Still, I think Etem has much more raw ability. This should be interesting. Either way, we got him for pretty much nothing.

Now lets just focus on some defence

Vey was told to train hard in the summer and get stronger and faster. He didn't seem to come back an stronger or any faster.

The coach can only control so much.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sounds like JB is actively looking to make trades right now.

The Rangers have a roster spot open now, I wonder if they'd be willing to trade for Higgins at 50% salary. AV obviously liked him and was able to get alot out of him.

no they don't, TAnner Glass beat out EE so he was not in the lineup

9 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Well usually if it's drugs people lose weight, so that's a good thing that he gained....

I don't think Benning would trade for him if he had a substance abuse problem.

I think he would do really well on a line with Bear and Bo and of course Hunter eventually.

With Booze, there is weight gain.

But I'm am not saying this is the case. 

Just that from my perspective, Etem is a more valuable commodity than Jensen.  He has shown quite a bit more in the NHL than Jensen.  Especially the first year 2012-2013 year with Anaheim, he had decent production in the 38 regular season games he played, and excellent production in the playoffs, nearly a pt a game.  But then his development and production fell off.  Even so, he would seem to be worth more than Jensen and a 6th.

But maybe AV has something to do with the trade... maybe he likes Jensen?

Or maybe NY has a CAP problem?

Just now, Alflives said:

Do you think it looks a lot like JB did really well here?

On paper it looks like he did. But of course reality can always be quite different.

Hopefully all he needs is a boost of confidence and a coach that knows how to get the most out of him.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

So you're basing this on the conditioning stint....?

It's for conditioning because it has the word conditioning in it!

Alf, that is used when players haven't been regularly in the lineup and need to get their timing back. It has nothing to do with physical fitness, getting winded, straightening up, losing jump, etc.

His fitness is just fine, he needs to work on his chemistry and timing in games.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

It's for conditioning because it has the word conditioning in it!

Alf, that is used when players haven't been regularly in the lineup and need to get their timing back. It has nothing to do with physical fitness, getting winded, straightening up, losing jump, etc.

His fitness is just fine, he needs to work on his chemistry and timing in games.

Thank you.:)

i love the deal.  This Etem sounds "real good".  :lol:

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

On paper it looks like he did. But of course reality can always be quite different.

Hopefully all he needs is a boost of confidence and a coach that knows how to get the most out of him.

The way I see it, the chances of the Rangers winning with Jensen are extremely low. Their roster looks very strong right now. Just like with the Canucks, I expect Jensen will be near the bottom of their AHL call up pool.

The only way Rangers can win here is if they find buried treasure with that draft pick, which is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

So at worst for the Canucks, this trade is merely neutral. AHL player swap. At best, Etem proves he deserves to be in the NHL.

3 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

The way I see it, the chances of the Rangers winning with Jensen are extremely low. Their roster looks very strong right now. Just like with the Canucks, I expect Jensen will be near the bottom of their AHL call up pool.

The only way Rangers can win here is if they find buried treasure with that draft pick, which is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

So at worst for the Canucks, this trade is merely neutral. AHL player swap. At best, Etem proves he deserves to be in the NHL.

I guess JB likes Bo, Hutton, and Biega from the Gillis picks.  I'm a bit concerned about JB's thoughts on Guance and Shinkaruk.  Are they next to be moved?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I guess JB likes Bo, Hutton, and Biega from the Gillis picks.  I'm a bit concerned about JB's thoughts on Guance and Shinkaruk.  Are they next to be moved?  

I think he likes Gaunce's toughness, but Shinkaruk is a question, especially after he drafted Boeser.

If nothing else, it's great to get a player who can make an impact in the AHL. He's been successful there, unlike Jensen who was very off and on.

Hopefully Etem can pan out a little more. I wouldn't mind to see him in the bottom six on the Canucks even right now. Maybe rotate him and Virtanen and put a little pressure on both of them.

2 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I think he likes Gaunce's toughness, but Shinkaruk is a question, especially after he drafted Boeser.

I like Guance too.  I bet staying out that one shift, after getting the puck in the face did a lot for Guance.

2 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

If nothing else, it's great to get a player who can make an impact in the AHL. He's been successful there, unlike Jensen who was very off and on.

Hopefully Etem can pan out a little more. I wouldn't mind to see him in the bottom six on the Canucks even right now. Maybe rotate him and Virtanen and put a little pressure on both of them.

Etem will probably get a few games for the Canucks before they send him down. Willie obviously has big enfluence here.

Archived