The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

Gstank29

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

Nice analysis. I have the same read. At low cost, this move gives JB a decent shot at improving the team. And it makes it easier to move Vrbata or Prust at the deadline. (I doubt if Burrows or Higgins goes anywhere this year even if the Canucks are willing to retain salary.)

I still think it is likely that Etem will not be on the team next year, but there is a decent chance he does pan out. My personal estimate is maybe a 25 to 30 percent chance of being on the team next year -- and that is lot more than 0% chance Jensen had of being on the team next year and a lot more than the roughly 10% chance that a 6th round pick ever makes the team. 

But I hope Virtanen is better than Etem. Etem is a bit disappointing (so far) but not terrible for a #29 overall pick (as my earlier post on #29 overall picks shows).  But he would be very disappointing for a #6 pick.

I think what you mean is that Virtanen and Etem are the same type of player -- big, fast, physical, straight-line players who are not strong on "creativity" (i.e. "hockey IQ" or "processing the game"). But I think Virtanen is better and is very likely to be a long-term NHL regular whereas Etem is closer to the margin. 

This deal is another confirmation of the Benning fox persona. Bringing Etem in takes some pressure off Virtanen. Another RW will allow the long awaited Vrbata trade in February. Added size allows more vet movement in February.

If Etem does nothing then not much is lost by letting him walk or by moving him by June. Golden opportunity for Etem so he likely wants to re-up with the Canucks.

6 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

I know how waivers work.     Don't forget Canucks own 2 teams now and much like Vancouver , Utica is in the middle of the pack in their league on a losing skid, as well they don't have much for scoring depth aside from Shinkaruk.     Being new to their market and having the year they had last year its just as important to fill the seats there as well.  

A player like Etem might be able to get them over the hump and into the playoffs once again unlike the Canucks which need a whole lot more than what Etem can offer them right now.     Etems waiver elegibility is irrelevant this season and can serve the canucks possibily much better at that level especially if he can revive the chemistry he had with Shinkaruk in Medicine Hat.  

As I see it he can be a good development tool in Utica possibly kick starting some secondary scoring down their which they don't really have past Shinkaruk, as Canucks prospect depth is sadly quite shallow in point producers.   

Much like Jenson he has had a few kicks at the can, so I'm sure he is seeing this as one of his last opps,.   

Many players in the Ahl have points and draft positions like Etem that just never had the IT factor to remain in the NHL, not saying he cant or wont just pointing it out.    Just look at Cal Oreilly.     Anyways it would be nice to see at least one player down in Utica benefit from this signing as they desparatly need something to spark some points out of the prospects.   Utica is on the fence right now in the standings and have I believe lost 3 or 4 straight.

Man, don't you get it?  This guy would never clear waivers.  That's why we had to give up some minor considerations to get him.  Deal with it:  he's on the big club for now, whether you like it or not. 

17 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Man, don't you get it?  This guy would never clear waivers.  That's why we had to give up some minor considerations to get him.  Deal with it:  he's on the big club for now, whether you like it or not. 

Please don't feed the trolls. When you respond to these clowns you just encourage them.

14 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

well correct me if I'm wrong but he was brought up technically from the AHL from the rangers affiliate , while Hansen was put on injured reserve to allow Etem to be brought onto the Vancouver roster which puts him in the emergency call up which exempts him from waiver elegibility in my understanding.  that's why Hansen was put on injured reserve.   this is why the rangers sent him down to the farm team  basically same time he was traded so he could be exempted after injury status of Hansen changes back.        am I wrong?   I don't think so

Yes, you are wrong, totally wrong.  He was sent down on a conditioning assignment, not waivers, which means he was still on the NYR roster. 

One thing I like about this acquisition, other than the fact that he is big, strong, a good skater and has good hands, is, as Benning mentions, he is a good playoff performer. So far in his NHL career (granted, it is a small sample size) he has more points per game in the playoffs than he does in the regular season.

This is pretty rare and is something the Canucks have needed for years. Maybe we have a playoff warrior here, like Trevor was! I sure hope this guy pans out for us. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he looks like in a Canucks uniform.

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

he was sent same day to the minors, just before he was traded and Hansen was put on injured reserve so etem was brought onto the team as an emergency callup once Hansen returns and they exceed the maximum limit on the roster my understanding is, because of the status he was brought onto the team, exempts him from elegibilty of being claimed via waivers.

You can't be an emergency call up if you've never been sent down, which technically, he wasn't.  It's that simple.  Over and out.

24 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

well correct me if I'm wrong but he was brought up technically from the AHL from the rangers affiliate , while Hansen was put on injured reserve to allow Etem to be brought onto the Vancouver roster which puts him in the emergency call up which exempts him from waiver elegibility in my understanding.  that's why Hansen was put on injured reserve.   this is why the rangers sent him down to the farm team  basically same time he was traded so he could be exempted after injury status of Hansen changes back.        am I wrong?   I don't think so

Well, you're partly wrong.

The part that is right is that Etem was with the Rangers' AHL affiliate.  He was assigned on a conditioning assignment.

However, being called up to replace someone on IR doesn't make someone an emergency callup.  An emergency callup is one made when the team gets below 6 defencemen or 12 forwards.  Article 13.12(m)(ii) of the Collective Bargaining Agrement reads:

Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of
the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by
League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2)
goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the
existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be
furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

57 minutes ago, suitup said:

How did Etem come so cheap? Kid is only 23... complete player too...

He's like a stocky Shinkaruk that isn't aware that there are four other skaters donning the same sweater as him on the ice. If he can be coached out of that mentality (see Virtanen) we have a steal. If not then oh well, he was cheap. 

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

Nice analysis. I have the same read. At low cost, this move gives JB a decent shot at improving the team. And it makes it easier to move Vrbata or Prust at the deadline. (I doubt if Burrows or Higgins goes anywhere this year even if the Canucks are willing to retain salary.)

I still think it is likely that Etem will not be on the team next year, but there is a decent chance he does pan out. My personal estimate is maybe a 25 to 30 percent chance of being on the team next year -- and that is lot more than 0% chance Jensen had of being on the team next year and a lot more than the roughly 10% chance that a 6th round pick ever makes the team. 

But I hope Virtanen is better than Etem. Etem is a bit disappointing (so far) but not terrible for a #29 overall pick (as my earlier post on #29 overall picks shows).  But he would be very disappointing for a #6 pick.

I think what you mean is that Virtanen and Etem are the same type of player -- big, fast, physical, straight-line players who are not strong on "creativity" (i.e. "hockey IQ" or "processing the game"). But I think Virtanen is better and is very likely to be a long-term NHL regular whereas Etem is closer to the margin. 

Yes, you've got what I was driving at.  I would expect Virtanen to be better in 4 years though (when he is Etem's age, 23).

It's interesting what is happening on RW now in terms of depth.  It is now as crowded as the left side.  The question is still out there, who is going to play top 6 next year?  Especially if Vrbata is moved. 

Etem is on a 1 year contract at $850 and will be an RFA at the end of the season.  Based on his recent work, if he's re-signed, he'll come cheap again.

2 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

He's like a stocky Shinkaruk that isn't aware that there are four other skaters donning the same sweater as him on the ice. If he can be coached out of that mentality (see Virtanen) we have a steal. If not then oh well, he was cheap. 

I see, well to be honest I have higher hopes for him than Virtanen. But again my hopes aren't that high for Virtanen, but do wish Virtanen the best. 

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Yes, you've got what I was driving at.  I would expect Virtanen to be better in 4 years though (when he is Etem's age, 23).

It's interesting what is happening on RW now in terms of depth.  It is now as crowded as the left side.  The question is still out there, who is going to play top 6 next year?  Especially if Vrbata is moved. 

Etem is on a 1 year contract at $850 and will be an RFA at the end of the season.  Based on his recent work, if he's re-signed, he'll come cheap again.

Doesn't  Pulijujaarvi play right wing?::D

15 minutes ago, suitup said:

I see, well to be honest I have higher hopes for him than Virtanen. But again my hopes aren't that high for Virtanen, but do wish Virtanen the best. 

Virt is 19 and Etam is 23 and already been dumped by 2 nhl teams.

Virt will have more time to develop his game.

Regarding Etam...I'm not all that excited about him joining the team.  Comments about him from fans around the league are quite negative and the fact that 2 teams have already given up on him is concerning.  Regardless, he is a Canuck now and I will reserve my comments until he has played for awhile.  Give him some time to learn the sysem and get comfy.  Really hope he turns into the player many Nuck fans thing he will be.

Just now, higgyfan said:

Virt is 19 and Etam is 23 and already been dumped by 2 nhl teams.

Virt will have more time to develop his game.

Regarding Etam...I'm not all that excited about him joining the team.  Comments about him from fans around the league are quite negative and the fact that 2 teams have already given up on him is concerning.  Regardless, he is a Canuck now and I will reserve my comments until he has played for awhile.  Give him some time to learn the sysem and get comfy.  Really hope he turns into the player many Nuck fans thing he will be.

I agree, I mean I'm not saying Virtanen isn't going to get better but I just don't have the same hopes for Etem as I do with Jake. I think Etem is just having really bad luck since he had no real roster opportunities by playing on stacked teams in the past. 

Archived