The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Hodgson done in Nash?

samurai

Hate to cheer against a player, but if its the end for Hodgson its kind of fitting because he did it to himself. He was in the perfect situation here in Vancouver for a player at his stage of development, behind two good centres (Henrik and Kesler) so he got better matchups, and still got decent minutes and time on the second PP. But he got greedy (or his dad/agent did, depending on who you believe), got shipped out to Buffalo where he was asked to do too much too quickly and just fizzled out. Good riddance.

Hodgson off to the Euro circuit. KHL, Swiss league, or Swedish league.

He was one of the best players at the world juniors on a a team that had guys like Eberle, Tavares, and Subban.

Just goes to show how volatile young prospects are in that age from the teenage years to becoming a man around 25.

No sure things the draft really is a crap shoot. Also first round picks tend to flame out because of more pressure and scutinity from fans and media meanwhile 2nd and 3rd rounders get to develop mostly at their own pace without feeling pressure to make the NHL quickly. 

Meanwhile 4-7th rounders and undrafted but signed guys toil in relative obscurity around the league and can take their time to develop because not much is expected of them.

5 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

should have waited and developed in Vancouver 

he ruined his career long term

Not really. 

He was good his first year in Buffalo, something happened last year. 

1 hour ago, GoaltenderInterference said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LyleKossis/status/614860881248260096

Apparently, these were notes from Daniel Sprong's interviews. Check out the last one.

I think getting cut from the Canucks that pre season was pretty humbling for Shinkaruk, as well as his rough transition to Utica last year. His attitude has really improved a lot from his draft year. I know when we was cut in his first pre season with Vancouver, and went back to Junior, he performed poorly in the WHL before his surgery, partly because he had a bad attitude after being cut. But I think that's really what motivated him to work harder, and you can see it in his game, and in him now. His attitude has gotten a lot better, and he is putting a lot more effort into his game. You can really see what a difference a change in attitude makes out there. I really think if Shinkaruk keeps working at his attitude, he could very well be the steal of round one. He's turning into one hell of a prospect, and I easily see him being a leader on this team one day.

Interesting how Gillis threw out a little quote saying how the Canucks didn't feel that CoHo wanted to be in Vancouver.... all just speculations without any evidence. 

Suddenly the rabid crest-logo worshipers takes MG's word as gospel and automatically lay the blame on Hodgson. 

MG, AV and the Canucks spectacularly mishandled Hodgson as a player and as an asset.

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

All these yrs the club didn't really have their own farm team, did they? Likely there's a strong correlation with franchises hitting more draft wins, by fully controlling their development.

Stands to reason we'll hit higher draft-percentages, with Utica's stability.

& of course, nowhere to go, but up^..one would hope.

The Canucks had a farm team in Manitoba.. the Moose who developed a lot of our players, Hodgson was on it.

I have followed CoHo in Nashville. As mentioned limited ice and sat out some games. I thought the Preds were being patient by taking pressure off. Obviously, even tho a project, time ran out with the Columbus trade.

Funny that after all this time Zach Kassian has more upside, with all his issues, than CoHo.

Feel a bit sorry for him. If what we heard was true he should have told his Dad to butt out. I still remember how shocked he looked when the trade to the Sabres was relayed to him while he was out walking with a team mate that day.

I think he was probably under the impression Gillis would fold and tell AV to play him more but he read Gillis wrong as did his agent probably.

If he was quicker I would give him another chance, I always say him as Henrik's successor. However we are going for speed now and I think that's best.

13 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I remember something about his interview not going well. Other factors were probably his size, and teams opted to go for a safer pick.

People said Shinkaruk was way too cocky during his interviews and that drew a lot of scouts the wrong way

Archived