The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hamhuis Recovering

JamesB

I have not seen this posted on CDC but I think it is worth reading. I am referring to today's blog by Thomas Drance on SN at the following URL:

The blog is about Hamhuis. Here are some key quotes:

“[Hamhuis] spoke about how he knew he was really in trouble when he began to trace the roof of his mouth with his tongue, and instead of finding a loose tooth or two, found mush. That’s when he got a bit woozy.”

“It’s an unfortunate part of the game,” Hamhuis said of the incident, “but those types of injuries happen. I was real fortunate to have the medical staff that we do on the ice, as I went into the dressing room and right through to the hospital. I couldn’t have asked for better care.”

“Hamhuis was rushed to hospital following the incident and he underwent a significant surgical procedure the next day. There’s more work to be done in a couple weeks, after the brace is removed.”

“The doctors were able to put it together quite nicely in the surgery, and then I went through a period where the jaw was wired for a little which made it difficult to eat, which certainly had its challenges especially through Christmas.”

“With his jaw wired, Hamhuis was unable to eat solid food for about a month. He lost 10 pounds, though he says he’s put about half of that back on.”

“Since Hamhuis left the lineup with injury 11 games ago, the Canucks have controlled 44.4 per cent of score adjusted shot attempts at even strength. That’s the worst mark in hockey by a fair margin.”

“I’d say he’s about a month away, you have to let everything heal,” said Canucks coach Willie Desjardins of Hamhuis’s timeline to return. “He’s not out there with any contact where there’s anybody around, it’s just him. He’s quite a ways away, but he’s feeling better.”

“We have some dates in mind,” said Hamhuis. “Probably after All-Star break is what we’re looking at.

“Also worth considering is the role that Hamhuis plays, and continued to play during his recovery, in mentoring some of the younger defencemen on the team. “Even (though) Hammer isn’t playing right now he’s coming over, talking, giving me little tips and telling me things to do,” Canucks rookie defenseman Ben Hutton told reporters early this week.”

“To be able to be in a position where I know I’m going to be 100 per cent healthy again and playing in a few weeks is better than maybe being uncertain about a future in hockey,” Hamhuis reflected on Saturday. “I’m happy to be in this position right now.”

The things that stick out for me are

i) Hammer will be back this season and probably a bit sooner than expected. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ii) Hammer, although not as good as in the past, is still very good. The team CORSI has taken a real dive in his absence and the Canucks have been fortunate to do as well as they have (which still isn't very well).

ii) Consistent with being a great guy Hammer continues to do his best to help the team (mentoring young guys) while he is injured.

Nice to hear he's recovering well, that's certainly one nasty injury he's had to deal with and right before the holidays. You're right though, while he's certainly not the player he once was he's still very good and we've missed him. Here's hoping the rest of his recovery goes well and he's on the ice for us sooner than later.

It's also neat to hear he's mentoring some of the younger guys while injured. Never change community man Dan, never change.

19 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Jaw wired shut at Christmas? 

Lost 10 pounds? 

Why didn't I think of that?

15 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I had my jaw fractured 2 weeks before Christmas*. I didn't think it was worth it.

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i felt sorry for him...liquid turkey and cranberry, just isn't the same....hockey players are tough...i stub my toe, and want to take a week off and an ice cream diet..

Pureed turkey and cranberry just doesn't do it for me either. I would have to rely more on liquified and fermented grapes. And is it possible to suck jello through a straw? I will have to try it.

11 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Pureed turkey and cranberry just doesn't do it for me either. I would have to rely more on liquified and fermented grapes. And is it possible to suck jello through a straw? I will have to try it.

Savoury dinners do not blend. Smoothies all the way. Drinking was out of the question. Last thing I wanted to do was risk falling on some ice and fracturing it again/further.

Great guy and glad to hear he's recovering.

So have the chances of him being traded gone down now?  Having gone through all this, I think it's less likely he waives his NTC if asked. Or would the Canucks at this point look at the situation and not even ask him to waive just because of how much of a warrior he's been for this team?

8 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

So have the chances of him being traded gone down now?  Having gone through all this, I think it's less likely he waives his NTC if asked. Or would the Canucks at this point look at the situation and not even ask him to waive just because of how much of a warrior he's been for this team?

Good point. How do you ask the guy to waive now. Especially since being able to spend time with his family (home cooking) is probably very helpful right now -- not to mention needing to check in with doctors occasionally. If Benning asks him to leave Vancouver as a rental at this stage he looks pretty bad. The only possibility I can think of is that Benning and Hammer reach a gentleman's agreement that he will be re-signed in the summer in return for him going as a rental at the deadline.

But I think that is unlikely.

16 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Savoury dinners do not blend. Smoothies all the way. Drinking was out of the question. Last thing I wanted to do was risk falling on some ice and fracturing it again/further.

Good point about smoothies. Hope your jaw is okay now.

Poor Hammy takes a shot in the maw

Jigsaw for dentist, results wired jaw

This darn bloke is inspirin'

After receiving the wiring

One's emotions are left mighty raw

Love this guy. Deal Edler, if one has to go. Keep Hammy as a vet-mentor/almost player-coach. True class, bravery & leadership. He'll also accept a reasonable deal..it's in his character.

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

I would there would be no market, for the value the Canucks would need to get for him.  He may be back in a month, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it extended.

Archived