The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hamhuis Recovering

JamesB

That was one nasty injury for sure and I believe he also had a concussion as well.  Remarkable how quickly players recover these days.  Great to know that he is supporting the young d while he's recovering.   Look forward to his return.

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata/Virtanen

Burrows Sutter Etem

Cracknall McCann Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bart/Weber

Hutton Sbisa

Miller Markstrom

I am assuming Prust and Higgins will be gone. Vrbata maybe too?  The team suddenly has 3 deep lines and a potentially solid 4th.  Or will we see sutter back with twins? prob not

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata/Virtanen

Burrows Sutter Etem

Cracknall McCann Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bart/Weber

Hutton Sbisa

Miller Markstrom

I am assuming Prust and Higgins will be gone. Vrbata maybe too?  The team suddenly has 3 deep lines and a potentially solid 4th.  Or will we see sutter back with twins? prob not

I think those three are playing together tonight against Tampa, no? They've had some chemistry tonight, it seems. 

And Jake's been playing a good game tonight. Good for him :) 

The above lines are only if all of our players are healthy. I'm not sure that will happen this year. LOL. 

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

awesome hope he gets back fast and hope JB either gives him a new contract for a year or two,or he comes back and plays great for trade deadline!

While I wish Hamhuis all the best, and a speedy recovery, it's my sincere hope that he doesn't play again for the Canucks and is traded (whatever) as soon as he's healthy. Even before the injury it was obvious that time was quickly catching up to him, and there were certain nights where he was literally getting creamed by the opposition just about every shift.

Hamhuis has stated that he can't - won't take too many more hits to the head and keep playing. I can't help but think how this recent injury might make him even more hesitant and unsure when he returns. Best to move him when gets healthy before something else happens. Extend him for a year or two? Uh NO!

Not wising him any ill will. Just trying to be realistic.

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

I have not seen this posted on CDC but I think it is worth reading. I am referring to today's blog by Thomas Drance on SN at the following URL:

The blog is about Hamhuis. Here are some key quotes:

“[Hamhuis] spoke about how he knew he was really in trouble when he began to trace the roof of his mouth with his tongue, and instead of finding a loose tooth or two, found mush. That’s when he got a bit woozy.”

“It’s an unfortunate part of the game,” Hamhuis said of the incident, “but those types of injuries happen. I was real fortunate to have the medical staff that we do on the ice, as I went into the dressing room and right through to the hospital. I couldn’t have asked for better care.”

“Hamhuis was rushed to hospital following the incident and he underwent a significant surgical procedure the next day. There’s more work to be done in a couple weeks, after the brace is removed.”

“The doctors were able to put it together quite nicely in the surgery, and then I went through a period where the jaw was wired for a little which made it difficult to eat, which certainly had its challenges especially through Christmas.”

“With his jaw wired, Hamhuis was unable to eat solid food for about a month. He lost 10 pounds, though he says he’s put about half of that back on.”

“Since Hamhuis left the lineup with injury 11 games ago, the Canucks have controlled 44.4 per cent of score adjusted shot attempts at even strength. That’s the worst mark in hockey by a fair margin.”

“I’d say he’s about a month away, you have to let everything heal,” said Canucks coach Willie Desjardins of Hamhuis’s timeline to return. “He’s not out there with any contact where there’s anybody around, it’s just him. He’s quite a ways away, but he’s feeling better.”

“We have some dates in mind,” said Hamhuis. “Probably after All-Star break is what we’re looking at.

“Also worth considering is the role that Hamhuis plays, and continued to play during his recovery, in mentoring some of the younger defencemen on the team. “Even (though) Hammer isn’t playing right now he’s coming over, talking, giving me little tips and telling me things to do,” Canucks rookie defenseman Ben Hutton told reporters early this week.”

“To be able to be in a position where I know I’m going to be 100 per cent healthy again and playing in a few weeks is better than maybe being uncertain about a future in hockey,” Hamhuis reflected on Saturday. “I’m happy to be in this position right now.”

The things that stick out for me are

i) Hammer will be back this season and probably a bit sooner than expected. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ii) Hammer, although not as good as in the past, is still very good. The team CORSI has taken a real dive in his absence and the Canucks have been fortunate to do as well as they have (which still isn't very well).

ii) Consistent with being a great guy Hammer continues to do his best to help the team (mentoring young guys) while he is injured.

Thanks for posting, its things like this that hopefully remind all those people bashing this guy how much of a warrior he is.

How many people do you know could take a puck in the face, have their jaw break feel mush in their mouth and not pass out? Dude skates off the ice

Then he laughs it off by saying - it was hard over xmas not to eat! LOL...

On top of that he's here mentoring our best young dman and teaching him not for himself, for the TEAM.

Hammer can still play the game at an elite level, he's just been paired with guys who should be in the NHL or are journeymen. (Weber/etc).

I hope he's traded because the rest of the league knows how valuable he is, gets a cup, then re-signs with us for 4-5 years to end his career.

He can easily play the 3/4 spot for another 2-3 years then transition to #5 as we make another run. I think Benning is smart enough to know, the next run we make will be in 3-4 years and a guy like Hammer will be a hugely important type player to have in the lineup.

My guess is even if we trade him, Benning will tell him, look come back, we want you back, and why would he want to uproot his life, family etc, especially being from BC. My guess is he's a lifetime Canucks, and damn right he should be. Hopefully he can be a rental for a up for a few months but if not, I am not at all unhappy if we just keep him altogether.

Great competitor, leader and teammate, and person!

1 hour ago, SuperReverb2 said:

While I wish Hamhuis all the best, and a speedy recovery, it's my sincere hope that he doesn't play again for the Canucks and is traded (whatever) as soon as he's healthy. Even before the injury it was obvious that time was quickly catching up to him, and there were certain nights where he was literally getting creamed by the opposition just about every shift.

Hamhuis has stated that he can't - won't take too many more hits to the head and keep playing. I can't help but think how this recent injury might make him even more hesitant and unsure when he returns. Best to move him when gets healthy before something else happens. Extend him for a year or two? Uh NO!

Not wising him any ill will. Just trying to be realistic.

I don't think you watch the games very closely

1. Look at the advanced stats in and out of the lineup

2. Look at who is partner has been

3. Look at who he faces as opposition every night

4. Look how's he's played in international tournaments with a decent partner

When you look at things objectively and utilize all the factors you'll likely see your assertions are incorrect.

8 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Great guy and glad to hear he's recovering.

So have the chances of him being traded gone down now?  Having gone through all this, I think it's less likely he waives his NTC if asked. Or would the Canucks at this point look at the situation and not even ask him to waive just because of how much of a warrior he's been for this team?

I think it depends on the standings at the deadline. I do believe Benning would be smart to trade him if we're out BUT he should and will likely tell him go get a cup, and please re-sign with us. Read my other post on this but I think that is smart asset management.

A team like Washington (will go all in), Anaheim if they are back in it, Pitts, Boston, Montreal, Chicago would all love this guy, hell if SJ is in it, he and Burns were outstanding together at the WC. Many here think he's done but fail to realize who he's been paired with, who he faces every night, don't look at the advanced stats with him in and out of the lineup. He is by no means done and if paired with a solid player he's easily still a 2/3/4 and can play that role for another 3 years, then transition to a 5 role.

The rest of the league knows this and my bet is he will be one of the most sought after rentals as will Vrbata for the same reasons (Vrby is having an off year but put him with Backstrom and Ovie, Bergeron, Toews and Hossa, Crosby and what happens?)

Both of Vrby and Hammer should get us a 1st rd pick because of what value they will bring to a real contender.

I say trade them both but tell Hammer, come back after you win your cup we'll resign you and you retire a Canuck. I bet that is what happens if we're out of the playoffs.

11 hours ago, McCannon said:

Thanks for posting, its things like this that hopefully remind all those people bashing this guy how much of a warrior he is.

How many people do you know could take a puck in the face, have their jaw break feel mush in their mouth and not pass out? Dude skates off the ice

Then he laughs it off by saying - it was hard over xmas not to eat! LOL...

On top of that he's here mentoring our best young dman and teaching him not for himself, for the TEAM.

Hammer can still play the game at an elite level, he's just been paired with guys who should be in the NHL or are journeymen. (Weber/etc).

I hope he's traded because the rest of the league knows how valuable he is, gets a cup, then re-signs with us for 4-5 years to end his career.

He can easily play the 3/4 spot for another 2-3 years then transition to #5 as we make another run. I think Benning is smart enough to know, the next run we make will be in 3-4 years and a guy like Hammer will be a hugely important type player to have in the lineup.

My guess is even if we trade him, Benning will tell him, look come back, we want you back, and why would he want to uproot his life, family etc, especially being from BC. My guess is he's a lifetime Canucks, and damn right he should be. Hopefully he can be a rental for a up for a few months but if not, I am not at all unhappy if we just keep him altogether.

Great competitor, leader and teammate, and person!

I have the same hope. The Canucks trade as a rental with the understanding he is coming back and then re-sign him in the summer so he can come back until he retires. He can be a veteran D presence in a fairly young D for a at least 2 years, maybe 3. With Pedan, Hutton, Sbisa, Edler and Tanev the Canucks will be overloaded with L-shot Ds but that is not a big deal.

Archived