The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Canucks fans are extremely lucky...

Matt_T83

13 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

tanev is playing well but is not that scoring guy.

Exactly not all defensement have to put up to points to be an important player on your team.  He makes smart choices, makes it hard for offensive players.  If he keeps playing that way and gets better over the years he will be a great shut down defensement.  We need a combination of d who can score and shut down, we just don't have it

Let's see how lucky we are:

0 Stanley cups

DJ Dave

One of the highest ticket prices

1 young player death

2 former player deaths(old age doesn't count)

U2

The most vocal online fanbase

Ugly jersey's

Only team to actually play games in a library.  No joke, look it up.

'Mess'ier

The Grizzlies

Yup, so lucky.

On 2016-01-10 at 9:07 PM, Matt_T83 said:

He's dropped off a lot lately; I completely agree with that.  But man, Burrows was a 30 goal scorer and a big part of our team from 2009-2012.  We wouldn't have even had our Stanley Cup run in 2011 if it wasn't for his overtime goal against the Chicago Blackhawks.  This was at a time when many Canucks fans felt that Chicago completely had our number (we were up 3-1 in that series, I believe).  

We were up 3-0 in the series and blew the lead.

On 2016-01-10 at 8:55 PM, Matt_T83 said:

To have Chris Tanev on our team.  I mean, the guy is an advanced stats beast.  He's as cool as they come, and he lets his play on the ice speak for him.  

To think that we landed a player of his caliber undrafted is ridiculous.  We were lucky that we got Burrows undrafted (although many Canucks fans seem to have forgotten how awesome he was for us).  If Chris Tanev has the kind of career I think he will, he may go down as one of the top 10 undrafted NHL players of all time, and that's saying something.

Here are the current top undrafted players of all time, in my opinion...

1-6 (in the Hall of Fame)

Peter Stastny

Ed Belfour

Adam Oates

Borje Salming

Dino Ciccarelli

Joe Mullen

7-30

Martin St. Louis

Tim Kerr

Curtis Joseph

Glenn Resch

Dan Boyle

Anders Hedberg

Ulf Nilsson

Steve Thomas

Sergei Bobrovsky

Charlie Huddy

Dave Poulin

Geoff Courtnall

Alex Burrows

Greg Adams

Joel Otto

Brian Skrudland

Mike Ridley

Mark Pavelich

Jamie Macoun

Marty McSorley

Chris Kunitz

Mike Keane

Rick Meagher

31+

Steve Duchesne / Kelly Kisio / Doug Smail / Nicklas Backstrom / Antti Niemi / Dave Tippett / Brian Hayward / Jason Garrison / Grant Ledyard

He's going to have his work cut out to crack the top 30.

Tanev is a decent stay at home defenseman who will continue to improve.  I remember watching him in his first game at Colorado.  The run to the Frozen Four back in 2010 help expose him to scouts which I think was the reason he chose to sign with the Canucks. 

He also went to the same college I did and has the distinction of the first RIT alumnus to play in the NHL.  I have one of his game worn jerseys from the Manitoba Moose.

On 10/1/2016 at 6:53 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

28, 35, 26, 28... those are not poor years.

180 goals, 354 points, maybe you need to check and compare Burr's totals with some others around the league.

Burrows has been a consistent excellent player for the Canucks.  PERIOD.  Whatever line he is playing on.

And yeah, he is not having a good year this season... who wouldn't what with the non stop assault on him in the media and the deliberate bias by the refs.

As I have said in the past, the number of bonafide psychos around this league who get free-passes from the mob for their deliberate attempts to injure players... just listen to CBC fall all over themselves to suck up to Keith... and meanwhile we get a crescendo of  whining about some guy who just happens to runs his mouth...  Bullsh*t.  Why aren't the refs on about Keith... or Dustin Brown, or any number of other scumbags.

Those are pretty good years indeed. Just not 40 goal seasons.

His success was based on energy, speed, and persistence. Those are what tend to drop away as you get older. He was a big part of the club, but sadly it is "was". 

On January 11, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Tre Mac said:

Let's see how lucky we are:

0 Stanley cups

DJ Dave

One of the highest ticket prices

1 young player death

2 former player deaths(old age doesn't count)

U2

The most vocal online fanbase

Ugly jersey's

Only team to actually play games in a library.  No joke, look it up.

'Mess'ier

The Grizzlies

Yup, so lucky.

Cheer up and by the way our jerseys rock

48 minutes ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

If I could like this a thousand times I would oh the memories will like on. On another note would you let anyone else wear Burrows number 14 after he is no longer with the team??? 

Great part of the team in his day but, no, not worth of a jersey retirement (no more than say Morrison or Ronning  just as semi-comparable examples).

48 minutes ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

I didn't mean retirement I meant does anyone think anyone will wear his number anytime soon? my bad bud. Like to show respect for the player like we've done for bieksa this year n maybe longer?

Didn't take tot long for 17 to get used!  If it's not officially retired (sorry, what I thought you meant by not having anyone else wear it), I can see someone grabbing it (rather than 73, 59, etc. - the call-up numbers typically).

13 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Here are the current top undrafted players of all time, in my opinion...

1-6 (in the Hall of Fame)

Peter Stastny

Ed Belfour

Adam Oates

Borje Salming

Dino Ciccarelli

Joe Mullen

He's going to have his work cut out to crack the top 30.

Thanks for going to the effort of compiling the list. I see that you went back at least 40 years or so, and maybe all the way back to when the draft started (1963).

What I find interesting is that this is a very good list of players, but it does thin out in the "after 30" group. Tanev probably will fit in the top 40 or so by the time his career is over. Roughly speaking that means there is about one undrafted player per year who becomes "really good" (solid top line forward or top pairing D). And I am guessing it is harder now that it used to be as the draft has become so scientific.

So we cannot expect a lot from undrafted players and it is impressive to see Tanev doing well. (And of course Burrows has had an excellent career for an undrafted player.)

8 hours ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

If I could like this a thousand times I would oh the memories will live on. On another note would you let anyone else wear Burrows number 14 after he is no longer with the team??? 

Sadly, I don't think his number will end up being retired. However, I wouldn't ☺️

What would you do?

10 hours ago, Quoted said:

Didn't take tot long for 17 to get used!  If it's not officially retired (sorry, what I thought you meant by not having anyone else wear it), I can see someone grabbing it (rather than 73, 59, etc. - the call-up numbers typically).

Kesler also left on pretty bad terms I would've let vrbata wear it asat too lol

On 1/10/2016 at 10:07 PM, Matt_T83 said:

He's dropped off a lot lately; I completely agree with that.  But man, Burrows was a 30 goal scorer and a big part of our team from 2009-2012.  We wouldn't have even had our Stanley Cup run in 2011 if it wasn't for his overtime goal against the Chicago Blackhawks.  This was at a time when many Canucks fans felt that Chicago completely had our number (we were up 3-1 in that series, I believe).  

3-0* we were a Chicago OT goal away from the dreaded reverse sweep before Burrows' fake-clapper-half-clapper sent us through.

Archived