The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Lightning 3-2 Canucks

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Willie interview : he put Jake out to start game to get some love from the fans and show support after the whole Province headline thing

also said he thought Jake may have been the best player out there in the 1st period,so why cut his ice time the remainder of the game then

I missed most of the first two periods watching the Bengals collapse, but I really had to laugh that when I flipped back to see the score I watched Higgens forechecking with his famous "ghost hits" where he purposely misses a stationary player but rattles the boards beside him. I have always wondered what his strategy on those are? Not get hurt and don't make enemies?

Just now, Darius71 said:

One of the few games I missed.  How did Jake look. All I heard was he was good in the first. 

Horvat looks like a boss in those highlights. 

I hope willy doesn't sit jake when Etem is put in the lineup.

Jake was great in the first and for the little ice time he got after that. Really played confident. Unfortunately Willie didn't play him much for some reason after the first

17 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

here are the guys that this team will never win a cup with.

1) Edler 2) Weber. 3) Sbisa 4) Higgins 

these are the four guys that have to be moved, so this team can be a serious contender one day. Come playoffs small dumb mistakes cost you, and these 4 guys are  a circus of dumb mistakes during close games. It's every game with these 3 and wait till Sbisa returns.

Sbisa hasn't done anything to warrant bring on this list. He was probably our 3rd best d man this year behind Tanev and Hutton at the start of the year. And don't tell me its about his play last year, last year Vrbata was a 30 goal scorer, this is a what have you done for me lately kind of league and aside from a hat trick against Buffalo, Vrbata has been a pedestrian on this team since April. The only people who are shielded from criticism have to be the players who have been injured and should be judged on their performances after coming back and being 100% and in my eyes rookies have to be given more of a leash to account for the learning curve.

38 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

The PK killed a lot of Virtanen's potential ice time. Judging by his first period minutes, I'm sure Willie wanted to play him a bit more. Besides, when your linemate is Higgins, the line is not gonna get much confidence. 

Higgins is the "glue" guy. He makes his linemates stuck on him and drags them around with him.

1 minute ago, nucksnavsfan said:

Jake was great in the first and for the little ice time he got after that. Really played confident. Unfortunately Willie didn't play him much for some reason after the first

Because Higgins, Vey, and Dorsett needed ice time. 

2 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I missed most of the first two periods watching the Bengals collapse, but I really had to laugh that when I flipped back to see the score I watched Higgens forechecking with his famous "ghost hits" where he purposely misses a stationary player but rattles the boards beside him. I have always wondered what his strategy on those are? Not get hurt and don't make enemies?

His game has taken a step back but there's a method to the madness. 

Higgy will be in his UFA year next year, he's going to lay it all on the ice next year, because he'll be working for a new contract. Not necessarily from the Canucks but any of the 30 teams. 

He's laying low and saving it all for next year. Not uncommon really. 

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the stats on Hank, Danny & Edler for being on the ice for OT GWG this season?

Tonight Sedins might have been off the ice just before the TB goal, but they were directly responsible for the sequence nonetheless...

So since the Detroit game - 9 games played

Horvat:  4G 3A with 4G 1A in his last 3games
Baertschi: 5G 2A in 7 games
Vrbata: 1G 2A

WiillieD:  Horvat played against the top lines and Baertschi was solid defensively that's why they were kept together since the start.  It's when Baertschi got on the PP that his offensive game took off.  It gave him confidence which is just so important  Vrbata might not appear on the scoresheet but he fits well with them.  

Pre-game he had this to say (via NHL.com): "I like the look of that second line; we've looked for secondary scoring, now we got it and we'll probably try to stay with that," Desjardins said. "Vrbata is a shooter, Baertschi is a passer, Horvat has good speed, he can push the pace, so you have a little bit of everything on that line, and when you have that you have a chance to be successful."

21 minutes ago, b3. said:
22 minutes ago, b3. said:

It's real shame that we've only scored 13 goals in Markstroms last 10 starts. 

1 minute ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Vey actually had an OT shift and almost got the winner.

The most obvious point is that Horvat and Baertschi had another great game, which is really nice to see.

But Markstrom played well again, as he has been doing for quite a while. I am not sure when the Canucks make him the #1 goalie but in my view it should happen now.

And Vey was solid again tonight. Not sure why there are still so many critics.

And I like the way Willie is handling Jake. His comments in the post-game interview about Jake were very good -- both the part about letting Jake start the game so fans could cheer him and let him know he has a lot of support and then saying that Jake had an excellent first period. And he gave Jake protected minutes so that he could play well when was out there and avoided any chance of a late screw-up that would hurt his confidence.

I can see why the players who Willie coaches are so loyal to him. And I think Willie is getting as much out of this team as could be reasonably hoped for. Most outsiders had the Canucks in the bottom third of the league in their pre-season predictions and when you add the injuries it is an accomplishment to be in contention for a playoff spot. And of course the Canucks outperformed expectations last year as well (despite the disappointing playoff loss to Calgary).

I still think the Canucks need another really good draft so I would not mind a low finish and deadline trades. But Willie is doing a good job with all the young guys -- not just Horvat and Baertschi. If anyone can bring Etem around it is Willie.

Archived