The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden confirms Higgins will be traded

Roger Neilsons Towel

3 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Wow. Not shocked at the news but more surprised that they would come right out and say it like that.

I can't see any team taking him considering his lack of production and the fact he has an additional year remaining... we'd probably have to eat some salary to make it happen. And if Benning wants to free up a contract spot for young players, taking back another roster player isn't an option. I wonder if this means Higgins isn't going to play any further from now on, even if he isn't traded? (Kinda like Sestito last year when they said he wouldn't play anymore.)

How much longer do we have to wait for Sestito come back and make the Canucks pay for releasing him lol 

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Never mind,  just read the article. 

Would be lucky to get a 4th.   Might even have to retain salary at that return unfortunately. 

His cap hit is about 2 mil right? Peanuts even if we have to retain a bit....I think someone like the Isles, Pitts, Boston, even Chicago could want him.

He's had a rough go here recently but part is I think there is too much expected of him by the team. They move him up into the 2nd 3rd W slot and he's a 4w. Put him on a pure checking line like the way we played Richardson and he'll do pretty well. I can see alot of teams wanting 4th line veteran leadership being willing to part with a 4th /5th which is fine. Really its time to open that spot up for Etem or Gaunce anyways. Could even see Edmonton wanting him (but he's unlikely to want to go there), Buffalo? Lots of suitors I think.

Wish him well and the right move by the Nucks

2 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Wow. Not shocked at the news but more surprised that they would come right out and say it like that.

I can't see any team taking him considering his lack of production and the fact he has an additional year remaining... we'd probably have to eat some salary to make it happen. And if Benning wants to free up a contract spot for young players, taking back another roster player isn't an option. I wonder if this means Higgins isn't going to play any further from now on, even if he isn't traded? (Kinda like Sestito last year when they said he wouldn't play anymore.)

I think it's actually showing Higgins the respect he deserves, he deserves to know,. And perhaps he has been playing already knowing this.  He is a class act,.  The past 2 seasons have been tough on him.  He is a specialty player, and will help anybody's PK overnight.

Higgins was a useful player especially when the team had a lead because he was good at wasting time along the boards in the offensive zone. Now that the team barely has a lead, he is not as useful. I think the trade will be good for him too because he doesn't seem as motivated to play for the Canucks anymore.

Just now, SilentSam said:

I think it's actually showing Higgins the respect he deserves, he deserves to know,. And perhaps he has been playing already knowing this.  He is a class act,.  The past 2 seasons have been tough on him.  He is a specialty player, and will help anybody's PK overnight.

Yes, they wouldn't release it in the public/media before he was aware, that would be classless and not how this group runs the organization.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Just the reality at this point.  Higgins' broken foot and concussion have really impacted his game.  

Will have to go directly against the obvious grain that will emerge here.

Sad to see the guy made into a flavour of the week CDC whipping boy. Disgusting really.  He's been an absolute steal for this franchise since the day he arrived - we should be thanking the guy for years of performing above his role and cap hit.  

At this point, the team has emerging youth depth and is transitioning.  It's unfortunate - the context in which he's being reduced - some folks even being daft enough to whine about his contract - but that's the business.   His production and outstanding two way play have exceeded any reasonable expectations up to this bad fortune season.

If you are moved - thanks Chris - hope you regain your health and go to a contender where you can be a solid bottom six contributor - the kind of player you win with.

Higgins is not the only guy to get more criticism on CDC than is warranted. Of course, some posters just like to criticize and getting that kind of criticism comes with the territory. I'm guessing he doesn't worry about it much.

I like HIggins and he had played well for the team until this year, which has been a bad year. But I would not say he has been a "steal" for the franchise or that he has played above his cap hit. At a $2.5 million cap hit you expect a solid 3rd-liner (although I know Benning is paying that much for two 4th liners -- Prust and Dorsett.) Higgins has never been more that a solid 3rd-liner in terms of performance even though he has spent a lot of time on the second line.

I cannot see him being moved easily. The Canucks would need to retain significant salary and/or take a bad contract in return and/or include another asset.

Archived