The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden confirms Higgins will be traded

Roger Neilsons Towel

2 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Did the team excommunicate Higgins?

Not sure about cap issues but maybe they 'had' to do this for cap issues, or waive him...sounds like that may be the reason he's told to stay home as he probably said he won't report if waived? Just thinking out loud here- could be wrong on the cap issues

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

He didnt ask for a trade, rather, Linden and co are trying to trade him. They must've discussed this before as it would be wrong for Linden to break out the news in a season-ticket holder event while not informing Higgins himself.

Read again I said he might've asked for a trade not that he did lol 

5 minutes ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

Sounds like Higgins doesn't like his role on the team either n might've asked for a trade? Just speculating but he's not dressing till this is sorted sounds like someone might moved asap. 

he has 3 pts in 25 games, does he want top line minutes?

People shouldn't expect any return.  The benefit for us, will be having Higgins not play on our team any more and not having his 2.5 million contract in the books.  He was decent early on during his time with us, but he has been just a waste of space during the past 2 seasons.  He has limited offensive abilities and this team needs goals more than anything else.

Chris Higgins is not a dumb person. I'm sure he knew this was a possibilty. He was past his time here. He had some decent years here and you can't knock his effort level. Hope the team finds a good spot for him. I can't imagine us getting more than a 4th rounder.

13 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

You don't understand the criticism on CDC?  He is grossly overpaid and has shown next to nothing on the ice for far too long.  Hence it will be hard to trade him.  But you don't understand the criticism?

You win your very own internet.

Fishbowl perspective syndrome.

15 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Higgins is not the only guy to get more criticism on CDC than is warranted. Of course, some posters just like to criticize and getting that kind of criticism comes with the territory. I'm guessing he doesn't worry about it much.

I like HIggins and he had played well for the team until this year, which has been a bad year. But I would not say he has been a "steal" for the franchise or that he has played above his cap hit. At a $2.5 million cap hit you expect a solid 3rd-liner (although I know Benning is paying that much for two 4th liners -- Prust and Dorsett.) Higgins has never been more that a solid 3rd-liner in terms of performance even though he has spent a lot of time on the second line.

I cannot see him being moved easily. The Canucks would need to retain significant salary and/or take a bad contract in return and/or include another asset.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Just started watching hockey this year I take it.

10 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

You don't understand the criticism on CDC?  He is grossly overpaid and has shown next to nothing on the ice for far too long.  Hence it will be hard to trade him.  But you don't understand the criticism?

I have kind of a middle-of-the road view of Higgins. oldnews is more positive and took exception to my comment in one direction. Raspberries is very negative about Higgins and took exception to my comment in the other direction. This is fine, I have no problem with disagreement.

But one thing that bothers me about CDC is the need some posters have to be insulting whenever they disagree.

In the case of Higgins I have looked closely at the data and, while I won't repeat that analysis here, the data suggests that his 2.5 million cap hit has been reasonable until this year. Over the past several years he has been neither a "steal" nor "grossly overpaid". However, his current performance does not justify his cap hit.

I believe this is a prudent move for the Canuck's management. Higgins is a solid veteran who can play on the third-line for an cup contending team. His cap is reasonable as well, and I don't think you'll see Benning have to retain any. I expect a low pick, maybe a 4th round pick in this year's draft at best. However, I would not be surprised if Benning looked for a young B-prospect defensemen who he thinks is undervalued in an organization. 

Archived