The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden confirms Higgins will be traded

Roger Neilsons Towel

First and foremost -

This is pretty piss-poor way of dealing with a potential trade situation.  However, based on past experiences with this club, this seems to be the way things are done in this city.  If the organisation is going to seek options for a player or players, at least have the balls to keep it on the QT until something is at least in place.  After that, open the barn door.

Second -

If Chris does go to another team, I wish him the best.  As far as I'm concerned, he was a great shut-down player before coming to Vancouver, and has been one of the best on this team (ever).

Third -

To all of you so-called hockey experts who seem to think you know the value of a player, should either learn the game first or get an education.  A player of his (Higgins) experience and calibre, the Canucks would most likely get a fourth rounder or possibly a third.  Unfortunately, due to his age and health, a second rounder would be out of the question.  

Based on the upcoming draft this year, I wouldn't be opposed to a draft pick.  There are quite a few good young quality players available at those level of rounds. 

12 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

real smart to trade the Canucks strongest D man down low especially given the fact the Canucks haveto play big heavy western conference teams often.  JB laughs in your face and then lets edler slap you for good measure

Hamonic is as good as Tanev (does all the same things just as well) but is bigger, physical and has a bit more offensive upside.

Its a good hockey trade for both sides and an upgrade for us given the size differential. It's not the optimal trade since we do give up our strongest dman but on the heavy point it actually helps us

Have you watched him play? he is a superb dman with size and mobility basically tanev with size

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

:S

I'm fine with moving him, but being so bold as to just come out with it... I don't think it helps Higgins, his value or the team in dealing with this distraction. Not fond of how this is being handled, Luongo-esque. 

All the best to Higgins, he was a great teammate, good in the community and a quality human. 

Agreed.  It's either a stupid comment by Trevor or they already know that no team will take him.  That way they can waive him and have the appearance of working hard to move him.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hamonic can help fill that void and solves the handedness issue while clearing room for Pedan.  I like Elder as a complimentary piece but I think he'll be slowing down right when we're ready to contend again.

Who plays the toughest match up mins with Tanev on the left side?  Sbsia?  Bartowski?  Hutton?  That is a huge responsibility to fill.  You're setting up the D for disaster.  Edler is only 29 years old and these are going to be the prime years for him. The Canucks absolutely need him along with Tanev to steer the back end for the next couple of years so the younger guys can develop in the right situations.  

You're right that the Canucks have a bunch of LD.   JB is gonna either have to address that for sure.  Bart seems pretty comfortable playing his off side tho.

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Oldnews lives his life wearing Canucks rose coloured glasses and everyone on CDC is a moron to him. 

Get over it, Higgins is not helping therefore he is headed out of town, deal with it

2288 manages to combine a Strawman with a simpleton troll post.  Surprise.

1 minute ago, notafan said:

First and foremost -

This is pretty piss-poor way of dealing with a potential trade situation.  However, based on past experiences with this club, this seems to be the way things are done in this city.  If the organisation is going to seek options for a player or players, at least have the balls to keep it on the QT until something is at least in place.  After that, open the barn door.

Second -

If Chris does go to another team, I wish him the best.  As far as I'm concerned, he was a great shut-down player before coming to Vancouver, and has been one of the best on this team (ever).

Third -

To all of you so-called hockey experts who seem to think you know the value of a player, should either learn the game first or get an education.  A player of his (Higgins) experience and calibre, the Canucks would most likely get a fourth rounder or possibly a third.  Unfortunately, due to his age and health, a second rounder would be out of the question.  

Based on the upcoming draft this year, I wouldn't be opposed to a draft pick.  There are quite a few good young quality players available at those level of rounds. 

Higgins play has tailed off considerably in that last year.

The nucks had said they tried to trade him in the offseason but there were no takers, this doesn't mean there is a strong market for him and that we can get a 3rd or 4th (maybe a 4th if we're lucky, likely a 5th or even just a waiver trade)

Piss poor? They clearly have spoken with him, the reason they do this is not because there is a market, but rather they are trying to create a bit of one to create a bit of competition for him if there is even a chance of that rather than waiving him. It is clear they are trying to find him a spot out of respect vs there being demand for his services friend

I'm convinced that they have been trying to trade him for a very long time and they've come to a point that they will have to waive him and Higgins must have told them that he won't report to Utica, so this is a last resort move.

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

After the Canucks Season Ticket Holders Autograph signing today, President Trevor Linden met with fans to answer questions. At the end of the questions period he revealed that they have met with Chris Higgins and informed him they will be exploring trade options over the next couple of days to free up a Roster spot for younger players. Thoughts? 

I am personally relieved and believe that is the best decision for both the Canucks organization and Higgins, who could use a change of scenery and a chance to play. 

Thank the lord and all things holy and magical!  (And all those other religious terminologies of oh ya baby!!!)

I have wanted Higgins dealt for the past 3 seasons.  Please. please dear creator of all thni make it true!

3 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Who plays the toughest match up mins with Tanev on the left side?  Sbsia?  Bartowski?  Hutton?  That is a huge responsibility to fill.  You're setting up the D for disaster.  Edler is only 29 years old and these are going to be the prime years for him. The Canucks absolutely need him along with Tanev to steer the back end for the next couple of years so the younger guys can develop in the right situations.  

You're right that the Canucks have a bunch of LD.   JB is gonna either have to address that for sure.  Bart seems pretty comfortable playing his off side tho.

I like

Sbisa Hamonic

Hutton Tanev

Pedan Bartkowski

A lot more than our current lineup where our coach is so afraid of the handedness issue he's playing Weber.

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

After the Canucks Season Ticket Holders Autograph signing today, President Trevor Linden met with fans to answer questions. At the end of the questions period he revealed that they have met with Chris Higgins and informed him they will be exploring trade options over the next couple of days to free up a Roster spot for younger players. Thoughts? 

I am personally relieved and believe that is the best decision for both the Canucks organization and Higgins, who could use a change of scenery and a chance to play. 

Thank the lord and all things holy and magical!  (And all those other religious terminologies of oh ya baby!!!)

I have wanted Higgins dealt for the past 3 seasons.  Please. please dear creator of all beings make it true!

Definitley not the biggest name under contract but man has he been good for this franchise. His game has declined over the past year or two but when he was at his best, he was great.

Has been one of my favorite players since arriving and always thought he was a bit underrated. Time to move on though. Just like it was for AV. Wish him nothing but the best in his future. I hope he goes back to New York. 

8 minutes ago, notafan said:

Third -

If Higgins is as valuable as you say he is, he would have been traded by now. The reason the Canucks are making this public is because trading him has basically become impossible. 

I have to agree with those who find the public announcement of the intention to move Higgins a bit strange.  A couple of scenarios would make it reasonable, though:  (1) they already have some suitors lined up and are keeping him out of the lineup because something is immanent, (2) they have no suitors lined up and are keeping him out of the lineup so they can waive or buy him out.  Either way, or even if it's something else, they have clearly decided they don't want to keep playing him, and don't want to humiliate him by putting him in the pressbox.  Tough love, but it's better to be decisive in these cases.

All the best to Higgins:  he gave a lot here. 

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

If Higgins is as valuable as you say he is, he would have been traded by now. The reason the Canucks are making this public is because trading him has basically become impossible. 

Also, saying he will not be with the team until this is resolved could be a way to get Higgins to open up to more destinations.  He does have a LNT clause, I believe. 

Archived