The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Attempting To Move F Christopher Higgins

Heretic

Chris Higgins may be on his way out of Vancouver.

The Canucks issued a statement Sunday confirming the team is exploring trade options for the veteran winger.

“As part of our transition to a younger team, I can confirm we’re exploring trade options for Chris Higgins so we can create more roster space for our younger players to develop," Canucks general manager Jim Benning said in a statement. "Chris is a quality person who has been an important member of our team for nearly five seasons. Our focus has been on finding a positive new situation for him and we will continue to do so.”

The 32-year-old has scored two goals and added one assist in 25 games this season. He is under contract through next season with an average annual value of $2.5 million. According toSpotrac, Higgins also has a modified no-trade clause for the remainder of his contract.

Higgins is a veteran of 703 career NHL games and has scored 164 goals and tallied 332 points.

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-exploring-trade-options-for-higgins-1.420892

--

The Vancouver Canucks are trying to trade veteran forward Chris Higgins, the club confirmed Sunday.

“As part of our transition to a younger team, I can confirm we’re exploring trade options for Chris Higgins so we can create more roster space for our younger players to develop. Chris is a quality person who has been an important member of our team for nearly five seasons. Our focus has been on finding a positive new situation for him and we will continue to do so,” said general manager Jim Benning in a press release.

According to Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun, the 32-year-old is not with the team, and won’t return until his situation is “resolved.”

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman has noted that Higgins has not asked for a trade.

Higgins has just three points in 25 games with the Canucks this season, after totalling 36 points in 77 games last year.

He is in the third year of a four-year $10-million contract which includes a modified no-trade clause.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-attempting-to-move-chris-higgins/

Interesting that they would send out a press release about this. I was at the game against Tampa and was very surprised at how ineffective he was. I think this is a good move on the team's part. That being said, he was great in his prime and was a big part of our success 

Best of luck to him, and hope the Canucks can make an effective trade

1 minute ago, CanuckMan10 said:

The only reason I can think of JB to do this is that he tried shopping higgins and no one wanted him so he's trying to make it clear to everyone there was no interest before he demotes him to utica. Absolutely bizarre

Definitely. No reason to use a press release to let other teams know Higgins is being shopped. 

3 minutes ago, Yotes said:

New Jeresy Devils could find a spot for him I think, 4/5th round pick be be nice, but it may have to be a conditional pick

Cap retention might have to happen also.

Yeah that's most likely holding it back is his cap hit, JB doing everything he can before making waivers the only option.

4/5th round pick I think would be the best scenario lol

Higgins was an effectie player for 4 years with us, was a great 3rd liner was asked to play 2nd a lot due to injuries. Hopefully a team picks him up as a reclomation project, like we did. Now he would be adding veteran leadership to a team with  some pk and bottom 6 depth

Best of luck to him

I'd be very surprised if we can find a suitor for him; the only possibility I can see if a strong playoff team needs a bottom six guy with experience.

Sure he has battled injuries; but he has been God awful. This also could be a PR move to help realize why he may get put on waivers.

Well it's out there now and I think everybody can see that he's not as effective as he was.  He still manages the puck well but is really just filling a roster spot imo.

To add something, I'm sure a lot of you heard the Benning interview in the 2nd intermission last night.  At the end of it he confirmed that the Canucks would be in the free agent market this summer.  And he sounded quite happy in saying so.

Is Trader Jim getting ready for something big?

I'd be very surprised if he put all his eggs in one basket and went after Stamkos like HNIC speculated especially when it is so clear to everybody that defense is their most immediate issue.

Archived