The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Attempting To Move F Christopher Higgins

Heretic

Those saying hes worth a draft pick....  no, no hes not.  keep in mind this is a salary capped out league and giving up an asset to take on a player like Higgy for that 2.5M cap hit over the rest of this year and next is not going to happen.

only way the Canucks get ANYTHING back is by eating salary in the deal.  

My bet is Higgins will be put on waivers and sent to Utica where hell go to play in front of friends, family, and in an amazing atmosphere. Its likely hell have his contract bought out in the offseason.

Good luck to you and yours Chris!

2 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Those saying hes worth a draft pick....  no, no hes not.  keep in mind this is a salary capped out league and giving up an asset to take on a player like Higgy for that 2.5M cap hit over the rest of this year and next is not going to happen.

My bet is Higgins will be put on waivers and sent to Utica where hell go to play in front of friends, family, and in an amazing atmosphere. Its likely hell have his contract bought out in the offseason.

Agreed, was just about to post something similar.

We've been trying to trade him for 2.5 seasons now. The only difference is that now, JB had to explain why he would be a healthy scratch until the TD. Then probably thrown on waivers.

Due to our roster size and impending IR returns, my guess is he's gunning for a pick. If we retain salary maybe a 3rd or 4th. 

6 hours ago, Heretic said:

Get ready to write this again in the future for Burrows as well.  

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Top 5 pick here we come.

Even though Higgins hasn't done a whole lot on the ice lately, to me this move also signals Canucks mgmt announcing they are moving some veterans at the deadline for picks and prospects. 

I think Aqua has given his go ahead to write off the season and get a top draft pick.

Wishful thinking maybe but seems reasonable, otherwise why not wait till the trade deadline. They've made the decision to bring in more youth.

God I hope so. If we get a late 1st or early 2nd for Vrbata or Hamhuis I'll be very happy with management.

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

according to sportstrac his contract had in his 2 remaining seasons is a modified no trade clause  so depending on the details cant that protect him from being allowed to be shipped to the minors?

Nope.  He can be put on waivers, then shipped down if he clears.  A vet like Higgins would rather stay in the big league, so he will waive to play anywhere.  I think it's No Movement Clauses that mean no move anywhere, including the minors?  

1 minute ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

In the MLB they usually release the team list.  Is there a way to find out an NHL players list?

If Higgins choice is a trade to any NHL team that might want him ( and I doubt any do) or going to Utica, I think he is expanding his list to all 29 teams.  There Higgin's list: all clubs 

45 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I think he will be traded after he clears waivers. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Because that's not how the process typically goes.

The GM finds a list of interested teams and presents them to the player, then they negotiate a return.

Not necessarily, It's pretty common for an agent to be involved in finding a suitable trade partner.

Here's a simple Google search, shows how common this is.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=9AaTVpj8HIHGmwHgnKfYAw#q=nhl+agent+given+permission+to+trade

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Nah, not enough for Drouin, we might have to add a 5th or 6th round pick, but we've already traded those to NYR and NYI. So no deal. 

a 5th or 6th round pick can turn into Lundqvist, Rinne, Gallagher, Byfuglien, Pavelski

So higgins+Rinne+Lundqvist for Drouin? No thanks

5 minutes ago, DoughtysCheck said:

a 5th or 6th round pick can turn into Lundqvist, Rinne, Gallagher, Byfuglien, Pavelski

So higgins+Rinne+Lundqvist for Drouin? No thanks

Agreed.

I'd rather send Higgins to the AHL and recall him during our Stanley Cup run this year. We're gonna need depth players for a long playoff run.

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not necessarily, It's pretty common for an agent to be involved in finding a suitable trade partner.

Here's a simple Google search, shows how common this is.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=9AaTVpj8HIHGmwHgnKfYAw#q=nhl+agent+given+permission+to+trade

No it's not that common. Those are only a few cases.

The typical process is for the GM to find suitors.

Archived