The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Attempting To Move F Christopher Higgins

Heretic

8 minutes ago, goblix said:

It's hard to call it decisiveness when it's forced but yes it's good to see decisiveness and a GM keeping his word that he will hit the hard questions and stick to the plan on getting younger.

During the Gillis regime, he traded too many picks, missed on too many of them, and the contracts he signed had too many NTC tied to them. He made it hard on himself to move players.

I get taking a bit less for NTC security. I think the best way to go about handing them out is if a contract is for 4 years, make the ntc in effect for the first 2 yrs of the deal but it goes away in the last 2. It still gives players security. I would especially say this to players like Higgins guys  who will be slowing down as their contract expires

3 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Or we could get a great pick for him and let Higgins fill his role..

If higgins could get a midround pick then great. I wouldn't be surprised if he cleared waivers...

If you think higgins can fill Hansen's role you haven't watched a Canucks game in a few years.

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes. True. But when they decided to do it, they did it. I like that decisiveness.

I think Benning is of that same mind. And that, in and of itself, is truly exciting.

I think we can agree on that.  I do like the new mantra of following through with your word

Just now, Yotes said:

I get taking a bit less for NTC security. I think the best way to go about handing them out is if a contract is for 4 years, make the ntc in effect for the first 2 yrs of the deal but it goes away in the last 2. It still gives players security. I would especially say this to players like Higgins guys  who will be slowing down as their contract expires

Depends on the NTC terms. But yes he did the hometown discount thing too much on too many players on this team.

I like limited-NTC they seem to fit vets that fit a role. Theres too much secrecies in the terms of NTC and we never get the clear story.

5 minutes ago, Yotes said:

superreverb2 dont forget Prust and possibly Bart. I dont think benning moves all pending UFA's to be but he should look at moving most of them

I would tend to agree. Prust was great with McCann and Dorsett before his ankle injury, but has struggled since his return. Bart was/is great at getting the puck out of his own end (good wheels) but constantly gets lost once he reaches center ice which usually results in a turn over.   

8 hours ago, tas said:

because, believe it or not, not many players are eager to play with the pressure of being the hometown saviour in the largest, most critical media market in the game, especially when the franchise has been utterly hopeless for 50 years. 

Nah. I think Stammer would rather be the "savior" for his hometown Leafs. 

Just now, higgyfan said:

Imo, Dale Tallon built the winning Hawks team.  They weren't a tanking team, just a really bad team for a long time.

But Bowman was the one who traded away Versteeg, Byfuglien, and Ladd, and then Bolland, Saad, Sharp later on.

My point is that Chicago manages it's team well, and sees what the core is and who can be moved. From a people perspective, it's always hard to do, but it needs to get done.

And now Benning is doing this as well.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Imo, Dale Tallon built the winning Hawks team.  They weren't a tanking team, just a really bad team for a long time.

Yeah, same as LA. Both were just awful teams for years. They didn't have to tank like Buffalo, and eventually won a few cups just by restocking their prospects. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But Bowman was the one who traded away Versteeg, Byfuglien, and Ladd, and then Bolland, Saad, Sharp later on.

My point is that Chicago manages it's team well, and sees what the core is and who can be moved. From a people perspective, it's always hard to do, but it needs to get done.

And now Benning is doing this as well.

Point taken.  He has done a remarkable job keeping that team in line with the cap and still a contender.  But...when you look at the lineup of players he had for trades...

Yes, Benning is doing a good job for what he has to work with.

5 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Yeah, same as LA. Both were just awful teams for years. They didn't have to tank like Buffalo, and eventually won a few cups just by restocking their prospects. 

Brayden schenn 5th overall

Doughty 2nd overall

Hickey 4th overall

To a lesser extent 

Quick and kopitar both 11th overall

i consider 3 consecutive top 5 picks a tank

Take the human part of it out and look at the books only and there's nothing wrong with trading. I'm pretty happy with what Benning has achieved. To trade Gillis' NTCs is not an easy task. With Higgins, another one of Gillis'  NTC is out the door.

D. SEDIN - NMC
H. SEDIN - NMC
BURROWS - NTC
HIGGINS - NTC
HANSEN - NTC
EDLER - NTC
HAMHUIS - NTC (UFA)
GARRISON - NTC
KESLER - NTC
BIEKSA - NTC

VRBATA - NTC (GMJB) (UFA)
MILLER - NTC (GMJB)
SUTTER - NTC (GMJB)

Banning has given Vrbata, Miller and Sutter NTCs.

Trading any or all of Burrows, Hansen, Edler, Hamhuis, Vrbata would do wonders for this team. I think Miller is Benning's man and Markstrom is definitely benefiting from having Miller around.

If all else fails, Hamhuis and Vrbata are UFAs; that's two less NTCs on the books.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 6:43 AM, Yotes said:

Torts and AV did like him. But rangers are tight with cap space, and Columbus would likely want hartnell or clarkson off their books. Not sure what columbus would offer us for him.

Rychel has asked out, but even if we add to higgins with a prospect like grenier would they have interest or would that be enough? I know a lot of ppl on here want to see Grenier on the Canucks, but maybe Benning doesnt see him becoming an nhler?

As much as Rychel has asked for a trade...

They are in last place and he is a hot prospect.  My own guess is they will try and make amends? 

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 6:49 AM, on the cycle said:

The islanders have $4.5 million in cap space. If we trade Higgins and Hamhuis we'd have to take back at least 2.5 million or retain salary for both guys (which is more likely).  We could take a Hamonic($3.85), De Haan($2.2), or Hickey($1.96). 

How about retaining the max on Hamhuis and some as necessary on Vrbata;

To NYI: Higgins, rights to Hamhuis (injured), Vrbata

To Van: Hamonic, Mayfield.

NYI go on a run?

And Boom, our right side D is suddenly set!

Archived