Heretic

43 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Brayden schenn 5th overall

Doughty 2nd overall

Hickey 4th overall

To a lesser extent 

Quick and kopitar both 11th overall

i consider 3 consecutive top 5 picks a tank

A tank though is when you purposely look to fall in the standings. LA was just a bad team for a while. LA technically did not tank and I think the only reason people are using LA as an example of tanking is to grasp a straw as a reason for us to tank.

I bet you that if LA didn't win a couple of cups, very few people would consider LA a tanking team. It's merely people trying to make up a bunch of evidence in order to support an argument that's even outdated by new draft rules.

23 minutes ago, The Lock said:

A tank though is when you purposely look to fall in the standings. LA was just a bad team for a while. LA technically did not tank and I think the only reason people are using LA as an example of tanking is to grasp a straw as a reason for us to tank.

I bet you that if LA didn't win a couple of cups, very few people would consider LA a tanking team. It's merely people trying to make up a bunch of evidence in order to support an argument that's even outdated by new draft rules.

I guess it's all how you see it. In that case i hope we dont tank. I just hope we have really really bad year or two. 

40 minutes ago, The Lock said:

"Tanking" is a relatively new concept. I mean, the draft format hasn't changed much in the last 20 years, and poor teams have always been rewarded with high picks, but this strategic kind of trading/getting rid of roster players at the deadline was once considered fairly unsportsmanlike.

Pitts didn't tank. Chicago didn't tank.  LA didn't either. But we just might, because we deserve a chance at winning too. Was prettty embarrassing to watch Buffalo last year, but they're not looking back now... and Eichel looks pretty nice in their colours.

35 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I disagree with you here Lock. I think Lombardi engineered that team to have some bad years.

I still think that a deliberate tank is pointless with the changes in the draft. 

50 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Who cares about how you wanna justify it to yourself.  That's completely irrelevant.

The fact is you need to suck for several years and accumulate top end prospects.  Some of them will turn out some won't. Then it takes many years to develop those prospects.

Looking at 7 to 10 years.

Considering how deep this draft is looking, I'd be pretty happy if we could send Higgins to to Columbus in exchange for ensuring that we get the 2nd that we received from the Torts contract, this year!

Benning said going into last years "deep draft" that he thought this year would actually be even better. Considering the performance of the undrafted group at the Worlds, I'm thinking he was right!

If we could turn Higgins, Hamhuis, and Vrbata us having 5 picks in the top 60 this year, I think we'd be looking at a really bright future for our prospect cupboard over the next few years.

I think as we get down to the deadline, Vrbata could be worth a late 1st round to either Montreal or Florida, and that Hamhuis could be worth the same for any of the other top teams who need some good depth for a deep playoff run. Maybe Washington or the Islanders.

Imagine hitting the draft with 3 of the top 30 picks! Would be awesome. Especially when we win the lottery and get the 1st overall!!! :)

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Considering how deep this draft is looking, I'd be pretty happy if we could send Higgins to to Columbus in exchange for ensuring that we get the 2nd that we received from the Torts contract, this year!

Benning said going into last years "deep draft" that he thought this year would actually be even better. Considering the performance of the undrafted group at the Worlds, I'm thinking he was right!

If we could turn Higgins, Hamhuis, and Vrbata us having 5 picks in the top 60 this year, I think we'd be looking at a really bright future for our prospect cupboard over the next few years.

I think as we get down to the deadline, Vrbata could be worth a late 1st round to either Montreal or Florida, and that Hamhuis could be worth the same for any of the other top teams who need some good depth for a deep playoff run. Maybe Washington or the Islanders.

Imagine hitting the draft with 3 of the top 30 picks! Would be awesome. Especially when we win the lottery and get the 1st overall!!! :)

Dreeeeeeaaaammm. dream, dream, dream ,dream, dreeeeeeaaaaam.

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That's some innovative thinking on the Higgy front.

There's also Prust to be moved at the deadline...he might get a 4th.

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not a bad idea, Columbus has to give up the pick sometime in the next three years so why not negotiate to get it this year.

I like it.

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That's some innovative thinking on the Higgy front.

There's also Prust to be moved at the deadline...he might get a 4th.

Considering how wacky things can get at the deadline, I think a 4th is really possible. Maybe a 3rd in exchange for Prust and a 7th?

4 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

JB should try packaging Higgy with Vrbata and retain the max amount on Vrbata. That way a contending team may bite and actually give up good value. 

Ha, I was just coming on to post the exact same thing!

We don't get hurt by the retained cap hit for Higgins (or much of it) next year when it matters and a contender gets two solid players for a cheap price this year.

24 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

JB should try packaging Higgy with Vrbata and retain the max amount on Vrbata. That way a contending team may bite and actually give up good value. 

I agree, I keep checking this thread in hopes Higgins is packaged with Vrbata (or other) for something of value. 

Otherwise I'm sure Benning is looking at teams with perhaps RH'd D man in a similar situation to Higgins. Depth in front of him, kids pushing from below and lacking value to his current team. If those two teams can swap each other's "problem" to fill a hole where we lack depth...

Otherwise I figure he's getting waived when Hansen's back. That's the unofficial deadline.

Archived