The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Attempting To Move F Christopher Higgins

Heretic

Just now, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I'm not gonna say I know what he made but I don't think he would be paying over 1.5 mil in taxes on a 2.5 mil salary. and if you add up his total career earnings, I'm sure its in the millions.

I am referring to before his recent contract. 

29 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Well for one thing, Canucks are one of the worst 5 teams in the NHL and they don't want him. 

2nd reason, Canucks admitted they tried to trade him in the summer and no one wanted him.

Pretty clear cut I'd say.

Hoping he goes to one of the NY teams, NJD are also in a hunt for a playoff spot, while Higgins isnt a point producer he's still a reliable vet that can help any team on a penalty killing / 3rd or 4th line roll..

If we retain 50% then I can see it being more appealing a 1.25m Higgins is a great addition bearing in mind you aren't expecting 30-40 points from him

4 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

haha lol. Not at all what I'm thinking.

Just saying that if for some miracle reason he actually makes it to free agency we would have enough space to pursue him.

Ya, No,

Friedman was just trying to find something to talk about for Canucks fans. No one else in Canada watches Canucks games that start 10pm in Ontario. CBC knows only Canucks fans were watching so they tried to give cookie crumbs to stay at home Saturday night fans who may or may not follow the game too closely.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I'm thinking 5th or 6th. Maybe ask NY for our 2017 6th back?

I worded that kinda weird and went back and fixed it but what I meant was that a 3rd would be the max we could ever get which would be a stretch, I'm hoping for a 4th or 5th but really I would take anything at this point.

5 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

feel for him? why? we are talking about a guy who has spent the last decade plus playing in the NHL and making millions. this is the business side of it, comes with the job and he knows it. Higgins can retire at 32 and his family will be set for life. Feel for him? Hell, I wish I were him.

Because playing sports isn't just about making millions for some people.  You build friendships and relationships with others. Higgins is probably very tight with many in the Canucks organization and maybe even loves the city as well.  Further, who says the guy wants to retire now?  Funny how you say you wish you could be him.  I guess Higgins should be happy enough with being a fat lazy turd instead of trying to be the best he can be at hockey, with team mates he considers friends and colleagues.  

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Ya, No,

Friedman was just trying to find something to talk about for Canucks fans. No one else in Canada watches Canucks games that start 10pm in Ontario. CBC knows only Canucks fans were watching so they tried to give cookie crumbs to stay at home Saturday night fans who may or may not follow the game too closely.

of course. It's still possible but extremely unlikely.

50% retained and he could be traded for a 5th. 

Defensively responsible 4th liner who can help kill penalties. A playoff team could pick him up for that.

Not sure JB wants to retain up to 50% but he may not have a choice, either that tor Utica where he pays 100% of his salary.

2 minutes ago, Dancin'Droid said:

I worded that kinda weird and went back and fixed it but what I meant was that a 3rd would be the max we could ever get which would be a stretch, I'm hoping for a 4th or 5th but really I would take anything at this point.

He was good for a few years and for a team looking to go deep in the playoffs, he's not a bad insurance policy.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

He was good for a few years and for a team looking to go deep in the playoffs, he's not a bad insurance policy.

Originally we got him for a 3rd and a throw away prospect so I'm not expecting much. He is basically a fourth liner now that can kill penalties. 

1 minute ago, Dancin'Droid said:

Originally we got him for a 3rd and a throw away prospect so I'm not expecting much. He is basically a fourth liner now that can kill penalties. 

In a deep run, those are the guys who really get hurt blocking shots. 5 solid years of service, I'd be pretty happy with a 5th.

Are we actually pretending that this trade will mean anything? He's been in-and-out of the lineup even since coming back from injury. We'll get a 4th-5th rounder and that's that. Makes room for Etem... well it's not like we weren't going to give him a spot anyways.

Unless of course this sets off a wave of trades, then I'll be very intrigued. For now, all I can say is that I like the way Benning/Linden are handling it - Higgins was been a warrior, and despite having little or no value now, he's still human (and has represented the Canucks admirably for years). Good to give him time to prepare for a move.

9 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm thinking 5th or 6th. Maybe ask NY for our 2017 6th back?

Hmm, NYI for the 6th at 40% retained, or something like that. Good depth guy for the Isles, they're looking to go a cpl of rounds in the playoffs this year, good depth guy with experience.

Maybe a team like NSH could also be interested. Pretty much 2nd tier Cup contender looking for a depth guy with experience on the cheap. Canucks retain a significant amount of the salary and everyone's happy.

But as others have pointed out this seems like Canucks may already have a deal with a team Higgins is not willing to go to, so they're trying to force the issue by sitting him out and making this announcement. 

Archived