The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Bowie dead at 69

GLASSJAW

it's not much of an easter egg for many fans, but still interesting and sorta sad to think about:

one of the best Bowie albums is, without question, the bizarre and challenging "Low" - and one of the standout tracks IMO is the instrumental "a new career in a new town." - it's a reference to his move from America to Berlin, along with Brian Eno and Iggy Pop and others (Visconiti?), where they tried to kick their brutal drug habits.

anyway, the really nice, but kinda melancholic harmonica riff played by Bowie is the same riff that is played on the last track of his new album. again, the new album was released in the face of his death, and he chooses to end it while self-referencing the song "new career in a new town" - it's a nice sentiment, really. it gives both songs a degree of new meaning.

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

it's not much of an easter egg for many fans, but still interesting and sorta sad to think about:

one of the best Bowie albums is, without question, the bizarre and challenging "Low" - and one of the standout tracks IMO is the instrumental "a new career in a new town." - it's a reference to his move from America to Berlin, along with Brian Eno and Iggy Pop and others (Visconiti?), where they tried to kick their brutal drug habits.

anyway, the really nice, but kinda melancholic harmonica riff played by Bowie is the same riff that is played on the last track of his new album. again, the new album was released in the face of his death, and he chooses to end it while self-referencing the song "new career in a new town" - it's a nice sentiment, really. it gives both songs a degree of new meaning.

I mentioned before.  This album, vinyl, was left for me by a friend as a gift years ago....just love it.

never met him

never saw him

but his music has been a friend to me for over twenty years.  For real.  Throughout all the genres I've found interest in, David Bowie's music has never left my regular listening....most likely because his music has been so diverse over time.

yeah, this is a loss for me.  But I still have his songs.

On ‎2016‎年‎1‎月‎12‎日 at 8:43 AM, GLASSJAW said:

Thanks GJ, that's pretty interesting. Don't know a lot about his Berlin yrs-will give it some time to check out.

David Bowie Reportedly Cremated, Was Plotting a Post-‘Blackstar’ Album

Many have expressed dismay at the suddenness of David Bowie‘s passing, and it appears to have taken him by surprise, as well. In fact, Bowie called his longtime producer Tony Visconti during the week before his death on Sunday (Dec. 8) to discuss work on a follow up to Blackstar.

Instead, Bowie succumbed to cancer just two days after the album arrived, and has now reportedly been cremated in a private ceremony without any friends and family. He wanted “to go without any fuss,” a source says.

Visconti says the very private Bowie had known since last November that his cancer was terminal, but had no idea the end was so near. Those final few weeks found Bowie writing and trying out demos for five new songs. “At that late stage, he was planning the follow-up to Blackstar,” Visconti tells Rolling Stone. “And I was thrilled. I thought, and he thought, that he’d have a few months, at least.”

In the end, Visconti – like Bowie fans everywhere – can only wonder at what might have been, had he lived. “Obviously, if he’s excited about doing his next album, he must’ve thought he had a few more months,” Visconti said. “So, the end must’ve been very rapid. I’m not privy to it. I don’t know exactly, but he must’ve taken ill very quickly after that phone call.”

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

David Bowie Reportedly Cremated, Was Plotting a Post-‘Blackstar’ Album

Many have expressed dismay at the suddenness of David Bowie‘s passing, and it appears to have taken him by surprise, as well. In fact, Bowie called his longtime producer Tony Visconti during the week before his death on Sunday (Dec. 8) to discuss work on a follow up to Blackstar.

Instead, Bowie succumbed to cancer just two days after the album arrived, and has now reportedly been cremated in a private ceremony without any friends and family. He wanted “to go without any fuss,” a source says.

Visconti says the very private Bowie had known since last November that his cancer was terminal, but had no idea the end was so near. Those final few weeks found Bowie writing and trying out demos for five new songs. “At that late stage, he was planning the follow-up to Blackstar,” Visconti tells Rolling Stone. “And I was thrilled. I thought, and he thought, that he’d have a few months, at least.”

In the end, Visconti – like Bowie fans everywhere – can only wonder at what might have been, had he lived. “Obviously, if he’s excited about doing his next album, he must’ve thought he had a few more months,” Visconti said. “So, the end must’ve been very rapid. I’m not privy to it. I don’t know exactly, but he must’ve taken ill very quickly after that phone call.”

Jan 8?

Ever since I heard the news a couple of days ago I've been listening to some David Bowie's albums at work. Truly a musical genius.

I saw him twice back in the day. One of those times he was playing rhythm guitar in Iggy Pop's band. It was pretty weird to watch DB standing back, out of the spotlight as Iggy did his thing. The other time was at the Coliseum (I think - the late 60's and early seventies are a blur). He had Stevie Ray Vaughn playing guitar and that concert was pretty wicked.

Fave song; Panic in Detroit.

An amazing guy!  

RIP David.

Archived