The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Buying Low on Justin Schultz?

After signing with Edmonton in a fashion similar to LeBron "taking his talents to South Beach", young Justin Schultz's sheen has worn off considerably.  Fans and sports columnists alike criticize him for lacking effort in defending, and his recent lack of production (despite playing favorable minutes with elite team-mates) must surely be noticed by Oil management.  Despite being handed basically every opportunity to succeed and a handsome show-me contract last season, the young R.F.A. has not lived up to expectations.  Who knows how long his leash will be with the Oil moving forward if he keeps playing this way?

Meanwhile, in Vancouver (excluding Edler, Tanev and Hutton) the defense has been in shambles.  While the likes of Biega have played at an adequate level as a fill-in in the top-6 (top-4 at times), I wonder if Benning would look into making another low-priced purchase for a guy with higher potential to fill an area of need?  (Like most of you I'm hoping Weber is as good as gone, and Biega would probably be best suited for a 3rd line role IMO).

After all, in recent memory he's done so with Vey, Baertschi and Etem (Pedan to lesser extent as well), and even gambles on young guys like Markstrom, Sutter and Sbisa for the transition have paid off to varying degrees.  As well, as he's shown with Sven and Jacob, with proper usage and development these young guys can begin to meet their potential, and he's even willing to give Etem a chance as he's willing to change from his perimeter style of play.  Who's to say that, if Justin agrees to change his style of play, that he won't be able to fill a role on this team?  He might be able to learn something from guys like Tanev who give their all out there, and maybe after that Justin could begin to give 19-20 solid minutes out there.    

Do you see a move like this happening, and why/ why not?

If yes, what would you hope management pays (either in FA or in trade) to get him?  In what role would you want to see him used?  

Any other thoughts?   

First, I think you're insulting Bartkowski, Biega, Pedan.

Second, Schultz is a 3.9 million cap hit...

I won't say it's a horrible idea to take a risk on him as a project, - but I will say I think it's a highly unrealistic one - particularly when this team just passed on comparable waiver assets at a fraction of the cap hit.

29 minutes ago, oldnews said:

First, I think you're insulting Bartkowski, Biega, Pedan.

Second, Schultz is a 3.9 million cap hit...

I won't say it's a horrible idea to take a risk on him as a project, - but I will say I think it's a highly unrealistic one - particularly when this team just passed on comparable waiver assets at a fraction of the cap hit.

Biega and Pedan for sure. Bartkowksi is still a bit of a train wreck in his own end.

That being said, Schultz is overrated a defenseman as you can find in this league. He's eventually going to end up in the NHL bargain bin, and then in the AHL.

There must be a reason Oilers suck so much. Is Schultz a part of it? Do we want to trade for someone like that? 

From my limited impression of him, hes got offensive talent but not much to write about defensively. A defenseman like that at 3.9mil cap hit and most likely need a prospect and a 2nd rounder at the very least to get. The Oilers value their prospects too much, its the reason why they havent made a big trade even with 10 years of sucking. They believe they have a dynasty and their young stars are treasures. 

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

After signing with Edmonton in a fashion similar to LeBron "taking his talents to South Beach", young Justin Schultz's sheen has worn off considerably.  Fans and sports columnists alike criticize him for lacking effort in defending, and his recent lack of production (despite playing favorable minutes with elite team-mates) must surely be noticed by Oil management.  Despite being handed basically every opportunity to succeed and a handsome show-me contract last season, the young R.F.A. has not lived up to expectations.  Who knows how long his leash will be with the Oil moving forward if he keeps playing this way?

Meanwhile, in Vancouver (excluding Edler, Tanev and Hutton) the defense has been in shambles.  While the likes of Biega have played at an adequate level as a fill-in in the top-6 (top-4 at times), I wonder if Benning would look into making another low-priced purchase for a guy with higher potential to fill an area of need?  (Like most of you I'm hoping Weber is as good as gone, and Biega would probably be best suited for a 3rd line role IMO).

After all, in recent memory he's done so with Vey, Baertschi and Etem (Pedan to lesser extent as well), and even gambles on young guys like Markstrom, Sutter and Sbisa for the transition have paid off to varying degrees.  As well, as he's shown with Sven and Jacob, with proper usage and development these young guys can begin to meet their potential, and he's even willing to give Etem a chance as he's willing to change from his perimeter style of play.  Who's to say that, if Justin agrees to change his style of play, that he won't be able to fill a role on this team?  He might be able to learn something from guys like Tanev who give their all out there, and maybe after that Justin could begin to give 19-20 solid minutes out there.    

Do you see a move like this happening, and why/ why not?

If yes, what would you hope management pays (either in FA or in trade) to get him?  In what role would you want to see him used?  

Any other thoughts?   

I think you answered both of your questions with your opening statement and description.

No.

Cap hit is prohibitive

If they retained some salary, I still wouldn't offer them anything great,

Higgins, if they made the cap hit match,

I'd do that deal just to see if he can put it together in a different environment,

He's an odd player, I'm sure he's capable of more, I just don't know how you get it out of him.

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

There must be a reason Oilers suck so much. Is Schultz a part of it? Do we want to trade for someone like that? 

From my limited impression of him, hes got offensive talent but not much to write about defensively. A defenseman like that at 3.9mil cap hit and most likely need a prospect and a 2nd rounder at the very least to get. The Oilers value their prospects too much, its the reason why they havent made a big trade even with 10 years of sucking. They believe they have a dynasty and their young stars are treasures. 

Yes and no. It's pretty hard to evaluate him with that group, but at the same time, he's now been in the league for 3-4 years, and it may be hard to break alot of the bad habits he may have acquired in Edmonton out of him.

I have heard he's a defensive mess but haven't watched him enough to know. Given his cap hit I would agree he's not worth the risk but he is an offensive right side dman (something we sorely lack on both counts right side and offensive). Curious what his advanced stats say and the other question is do we really have a solid stay at home left side dman to offset his game? Ie if we had a Seabrooke clone it may not be a big issue - pedan? Tryamakin? really about how he'd fit into our core and if Lidster could coach out the bad habits...

I wouldn't pull the trigger on that mid-season unless the price is ridiculously low and the Oilers retain salary.  Otherwise, if the Oilers decide to cut bait with Schultz in the off-season, he can't be that much worse than Weber.  Can he?

Archived