The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Cleared Waivers] Canucks Assign F Chris Higgins to Utica

Hobbes!!!

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

You're right, they could retain some, and that might still happen later, but if he is put on waivers tomorrow then teams weren't interested I guess. 

He can still be bought out after the season.

Is it better to buy him out or just keep him in the minors?  Sure he gets his 2.5 million, but the Canucks get al out 1 million in cap relief.  They could use the buy out on Burrows instead?

Hansen isn't back for a few days yet so there isn't a need to do this tomorrow.  It could be that any deals available require them to eat too much salary so they are going to first expose him and see if there are any takers to take on the full ride.

If he clears, maybe one of those deals gets done.  

Retaining half of his salary and getting a 4th or 5th round pick in return is probably worse than losing him for nothing or having him buried in the minors where you get about the same remaining cap hit but retain the asset if needed.  There is also the prospect of him not reporting (though I doubt it) so there may be ways to completely get rid of his cap hit through mutual termination or some other method.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is it better to buy him out or just keep him in the minors?  Sure he gets his 2.5 million, but the Canucks get al out 1 million in cap relief.  They could use the buy out on Burrows instead?

Better for who exactly? Keeping him in the minors costs the cap around $600,000 more than buying him out does. I'd rather have a pick and I don't care about retaining salary to get one. 

Not to mention if Benning really wants to treat him right they won't leave him to languish in the minors for the next 2 years, they'll buy him out as a last resort and let him get on with his career. That's my guess anyways. 

3 hours ago, coryberg said:
3 hours ago, coryberg said:

Hard to feel bad for a guy who gets paid $6,849 a day no matter where he plays...or even to sit at home.

Hard to feel bad for a guy who gets paid $6,849 a day no matter where he plays...or even to sit at home.

I would it's not like he was getting Scott Gomez money and I would think would be a lot less when you consider taxes. Also it's going from the NHL to the AHL and leaving a place you called home for half a decade.

4 hours ago, Hobbes!!! said:

As confirmed by Linden during the first intermission interview during the Florida/Vancouver game, Higgins will be put on waivers tomorrow morning. 

Sad situation. He's brought a lot to this team over the years but his play for a while now has been frustrating to watch. Good luck Higgy. 

Sad to see him go on waivers. 

But his time has ended here in Vancouver. Hope that he gets to go to another NHL team, and continue to get a shot at Lord Stanley with a playoff contender. He deserves a good place to finish off his career. 

16 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hopefully he can really help out the kids in Utica. Shinkaruk and Gaunce in particular can learn a lot from him. Sad situation and it would have been nice if he was moved along to a different NHL club but his stat line isn't tempting at all, even for a 5th or 6th round pick.

Management was probably trying. But unfortunately, Higgins just hasn't played well enough to warrant other clubs giving up their prospects, players, or even picks (as late as they may be). It's too bad. I hope for the best for Chris moving forward. 

For those saying Higgins is an effective NHL player, good on PK etc are not necessarily wrong, it's just that all 29 other teams have players at the league minimum that can do the same. Chances are they are bigger and faster. 

At this current moment in time he is the most undesirable player in the NHL. 

No size

No speed

No gritty 

No hands

No shot

No leadership. 

2 hours ago, theminister said:

If he goes unclaimed then his trade value may actually go up.

An acquiring team could keep him the AHL for playoff depth. Bring him up late in the season.

Couple that with eating salary and it's not impossible the Canucks could still deal him if he goes unclaimed.

Seems more common than moving borderline players before waivers these days.

I think the added complication is not unlike the Kassian situation in the sense that Higgins is clearly not healthy - so any team that acquires him would have to have him on their NHL roster in this condition - a large part of the reason I think he could also clear waivers.

And like you say, once he's in the AHL - you have the depth there that you can recall when opportune or necessary - so the player's value increases having cleared (something some people don't quite yet grasp because it appears counter-intuitive to them).

My impression is that Higgins will need a decent chunk of time to get back to 100% - the broken foot was one thing, but in addition, the hit he took from Ritchie - that was the kind of hit that potentially set a person back a long time.

31 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

For those saying Higgins is an effective NHL player, good on PK etc are not necessarily wrong, it's just that all 29 other teams have players at the league minimum that can do the same. Chances are they are bigger and faster. 

At this current moment in time he is the most undesirable player in the NHL. 

No size

No speed

No gritty 

No hands

No shot

No leadership. 

Your just a ray of sunshine. We get it, he's done. 

7 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

Kind of sad he didn't yield any assets even a super low draft pick back. Gillis to blame with a whopping 5 year no movement contract

The NTC is basically meaningless at this point... It's not the reason nobody wants to trade for him. 

How do people still not understand the present situation? 

10 hours ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Best of luck to him. Had to be done unfortunately. Blame Gillis for the long term and NTC.

Yeah don't blame Benning and linden for handling the situation as poorly as humanly possible. 

Benning the best gm ever for devaluing his players to the point he has to pay to get rid of them. Atleast Higgins has cost yet another draft pick ...yet. 

6 minutes ago, combover said:

Yeah don't blame Benning and linden for handling the situation as poorly as humanly possible. 

Benning the best gm ever for devaluing his players to the point he has to pay to get rid of them. Atleast Higgins has cost yet another draft pick ...yet. 

Goodness, you can't devalue something with no to negative value. They've been trying to move him for like a year...

Seriously, how do people not understand the situation..?

Archived