The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Cleared Waivers] Canucks Assign F Chris Higgins to Utica

Hobbes!!!

11 minutes ago, combover said:

Yeah don't blame Benning and linden for handling the situation as poorly as humanly possible. 

Benning the best gm ever for devaluing his players to the point he has to pay to get rid of them. Atleast Higgins has cost yet another draft pick ...yet. 

Benning didn't decimate Higgins' trade value... Higgins did that all by himself. Fact is the guy is no longer an NHL player. And while you might have convinced yourself otherwise, unfortunately for the Canucks, those paid to know better don't share in your delusions. 

I believe that everyone in the org would be thrilled if he was picked up on waivers and his contract became someone else's problem.

18 minutes ago, combover said:

Yeah don't blame Benning and linden for handling the situation as poorly as humanly possible. 

Benning the best gm ever for devaluing his players to the point he has to pay to get rid of them. Atleast Higgins has cost yet another draft pick ...yet. 

Go back to sleep and try this day again bro. 

42 minutes ago, combover said:

It's just not that simple. The Bassomatic is that simple, but not this situation. 

49 minutes ago, GiveEmTheCan said:

Benning didn't decimate Higgins' trade value... Higgins did that all by himself. Fact is the guy is no longer an NHL player. And while you might have convinced yourself otherwise, unfortunately for the Canucks, those paid to know better don't share in your delusions. 

I believe that everyone in the org would be thrilled if he was picked up on waivers and his contract became someone else's problem.

Though I have been an advocate for a parting between the Canucks and Higgins, I somewhat disagree with your point that Higgins is not an NHL player.

Higgins' time in Vancouver is done because the franchise changed direction from under his feet and he failed to adapt. It happens all the time when there is a regime change within an organization.

Higgins can come very handy to a team gunning for the Cup that wants an extra defensive forward for their 3rd or 4th line. 

Where Higgins fails when he is counted on to play top six minutes and score goals. His defensive consistency on a third line with no pressure to score, allows Higgins to score somewhat consistently. Because of this defensive consistency and offensive flashes, coaches have a tendency to put Higgins into the top six where he just isn't good enough to keep up with the pace of the game and score on a consistent basis.

As a third or fourth liner on a Cup team though, Higgins is the type of player that thrives and gives his team that extra edge.

12 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Though I have been an advocate for a parting between the Canucks and Higgins, I somewhat disagree with your point that Higgins is not an NHL player.

Higgins' time in Vancouver is done because the franchise changed direction from under his feet and he failed to adapt. It happens all the time when there is a regime change within an organization.

Higgins can come very handy to a team gunning for the Cup that wants an extra defensive forward for their 3rd or 4th line. 

Where Higgins fails when he is counted on to play top six minutes and score goals. His defensive consistency on a third line with no pressure to score, allows Higgins to score somewhat consistently. Because of this defensive consistency and offensive flashes, coaches have a tendency to put Higgins into the top six where he just isn't good enough to keep up with the pace of the game and score on a consistent basis.

As a third or fourth liner on a Cup team though, Higgins is the type of player that thrives and gives his team that extra edge.

Higgins' problem is that he's historically an energy guy with limited upside. He used speed to create pressure on the forecheck and defensive zone. That resulted in turnovers, drawn penalties, and scoring chances. Since his foot injury, Higgins' skating has taken a huge hit. Now instead of creating chances he's chasing the play, taking bad penalties and is fast becoming a defensive liability.

The Canucks boast a pretty shallow forward pool as is. If he can't make weight in Vancouver, chances are he'd be of little use to any playoff contender looking to load up on assets and bottom feeders aren't exactly lining up to take on an overpaid fast-diminishing fourth liner in the twilight days of his career.

18 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

ya pretty much another tanner glass, I don't have anything against him.  prust though, hmm, hes coasting through to the deadline we could do better with that cap hit for sure

His presence makes that teams are not taking liberties on the younger guys as much as they would if Prust wasn't int he lineup.

17 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Are they forcing Higgins hand by stating he is going for a bus ride?    they could be.

Shinkaruk and company could benefit from him if there is any conselation prize

That is if Higgins handles himself with dignity. He could also become a detriment to the evolution of future Canucks.

Green will surely monitor this situation closely.

1 hour ago, GiveEmTheCan said:

Fact is the guy is no longer an NHL player.

Oh, he could still be an NHL player, just not at $2.5m.

Guys like him are being squeezed out of the league and if they want to stay in, they need to be willing to take a paycut to something like $800k-$1.2m per (depending on their talents/abilities). Unfortunately for Chris, his talents likely put him at closer to $800k. That makes his $2.5m contract, even at 50% retained, still overpriced by like $400k.

His misfortune is that he's got a contract that just a few years ago was reasonable and the league demographics, the new CBA etc all changed right under his feet.

Nowadays guys in his role either pay for +/- $1m or they go to Europe (or the AHL). Team's will simply fill those spots with their young guys on ELC's or the many guys willing to play for around/under $1m just to stay in the league.

18 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The only surprise I think is how the team handled the situation. Very odd to say the least.

They've been trying to move him for like a year. This was very much a hail Mary move to try and keep him in the league out of respect for him. I'm not sure how or why that's surprising?

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

They've been trying to move him for like a year. This was very much a hail Mary move to try and keep him in the league out of respect for him. I'm not sure how or why that's surprising?

The press release made it odd. I mean pretty much the whole hockey world thought so but jr must be right...

Again I agree we need to move on but the handling was odd.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The press release made it odd. I mean pretty much the whole hockey world thought so but jr must be right...

Again I agree we need to move on but the handling was odd.

Well, as I said, they appeared to try to handle it the standard/un-'odd' way for about a year. SOMETHING had to happen eventually and the Etem trade made it a requirement to do sooner than later. Out of respect for him and his services, they tried somewhat more unorthodox methods to try and help him stay in the league ANYWHERE. So far, it hasn't appeared to have worked.

Again, not sure why this is surprising and evidently so confusing to so many...

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

Columbus with Torts, Rangers with AV. Those two spots would be best for him, his career and his self worth after this.

Higgins is perfect for a team that wants to go deep and needs a 3rd liner who brings a type of consistency that is needed to win the Cup.

When a 23 year old, 1st rounder like Etem becomes available, Higgins becomes easily expendable.

Irony is the player etem was traded for is 23 and 1st rounder. Unsure if your aware. 

Archived