The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Cleared Waivers] Canucks Assign F Chris Higgins to Utica

Hobbes!!!

Just now, Apple Juice said:

So if his stat line is so good, why is Columbus putting him on waivers when they can just keep him since he's apparently playing well

Not sure. He's been scratched the last 4 games, out of those 4 Columbus has lost 3. Before that they had won 3 of their last 4 or 5 (going off top of my head here). He's also on a point streak excluding the games he has been scratched. Maybe they want righties?

4 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

But the next closest player is Kerby Rychel at +4... Nobody else is close. Connauton has been averaging over 15 minutes a night and he's on pace for 25 points in 82 games. All that on Columbus. He's also a pending RFA with a miniscule cap hit.

CBJ put him on waivers for a reason.

+/- is a deceiving stat, especially when you're playing against the worst players on each team.

I think Ferraro got it right. Higgins was made available to his eight preferred teams as per his NTC and no one bit. So he was further exposed league-wide and still k one bit, not because of Higgins' decline bit because of his heavy contract.

3 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

So if his stat line is so good, why is Columbus putting him on waivers when they can just keep him since he's apparently playing well

Who's coaching CLB? That's your answer.. I would like to see him here back. IMO he's the most solid D who is waived so far..

Higgy is a class act and deserves a better fate.  There are others on the team who have underperformed.  He should have been given some slack with his long term injury at the beginning of year.   Thanks for all you've done Higgy and wishing you nothing but the best.   I think management could have handled this whole thing differently.  

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

CBJ put him on waivers for a reason.

+/- is a deceiving stat, especially when you're playing against the worst players on each team.

Most likely because he doesn't fit torts' style. He's an offensive defenseman. Just look at his HERO chart on ownthepuck. On a good team he can be a legit 4/5 guy.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

They've been trying to move him for like a year. This was very much a hail Mary move to try and keep him in the league out of respect for him. I'm not sure how or why that's surprising?

Dozens of NHL players go on waivers every season, but Benning somehow just sabotaged Higgins' career by letting the league know he was available.

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

did you watch Petrovic repeatedly sucker punch Virtanen in the scrum last night? he jumped off the bench to grab virts.  prust was right there.  Petrovic is the first guy you hold onto in those situations.   Dorset was tied up at the bench,   virts took about 5 shots to the head from petrovic in the mele

Prust is useless. He's more concerned with his close ups and his Twitter feed than being an effective hockey player.

Glad he's on a one year deal.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Dozens of NHL players go on waivers every season, but Benning somehow just sabotaged Higgins' career by letting the league know he was available.

How is that sabotage? Letting the league know Higgins is available is for the purpose of letting the league know Higgins is available.

The acquisition of Etem has changed the landscape.

It happens.

14 minutes ago, avitan said:

Higgy is a class act and deserves a better fate.  There are others on the team who have underperformed.  He should have been given some slack with his long term injury at the beginning of year.   Thanks for all you've done Higgy and wishing you nothing but the best.   I think management could have handled this whole thing differently.  

Deserves got nothing to do with it. He's been paid, and will continue to get paid. His play wasn't enough to warrant a roster spot. Simple as that.

Figured Higgy at 1.25m would've been appealing to teams, but guess not. I doubt anyone would pick him up for 2.5m.

Guess we'll buy him out next year to get the most off the books. On K-Conn, he's a lefty, not sure if he can play on the right side but he'd be behind Hutton // Edler // Sbisa // Hammer // Pedan in terms of depth chart.. If he can play the right side then I'm all for it, yet he would be another contract looking for a bit of a pay bump so that would be something to consider.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

The press release made it odd. I mean pretty much the whole hockey world thought so but jr must be right...

Again I agree we need to move on but the handling was odd.

It was handled differently, but not with disrespect. As his agent has said, the team has handled it well, and treated Higgins with the dignity and respect he deserves. They didn't just come out and do this out of the blue. As the agent said himself, the team consulted with them, and got their approval before going public. It really was a last ditch effort, to let all teams know, not just the ones they may have had discussions with, that the team was now willing to retain salary in order to try and get him another NHL gig. 

Unorthodox? Yes. Disrespectful? No quite the opposite.

Also, for those questioning whether he'd report to Utica, Higgins himself said he will, and fully understands the decision, this isn't a spurned/burnt bridge situation at all. So I applaud management for this unorthodox move.

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

How is that sabotage? Letting the league know Higgins is available is for the purpose of letting the league know Higgins is available.

It happens.

*Sarcasm ;)

4 minutes ago, Canuck_Fan_52 said:

Why couldn't they get someone for him though?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Oh, he could still be an NHL player, just not at $2.5m.

Guys like him are being squeezed out of the league and if they want to stay in, they need to be willing to take a paycut to something like $800k-$1.2m per (depending on their talents/abilities). Unfortunately for Chris, his talents likely put him at closer to $800k. That makes his $2.5m contract, even at 50% retained, still overpriced by like $400k.

His misfortune is that he's got a contract that just a few years ago was reasonable and the league demographics, the new CBA etc all changed right under his feet.

Nowadays guys in his role either pay for +/- $1m or they go to Europe (or the AHL). Team's will simply fill those spots with their young guys on ELC's or the many guys willing to play for around/under $1m just to stay in the league.

14 minutes ago, Me_ said:

It happens.

I was being facetious in response to some people being up in arms as to how "poorly" they feel Higgins was "treated".

Just now, arsenalian said:

It was handled differently, but not with disrespect. As his agent has said, the team has handled it well, and treated Higgins with the dignity and respect he deserves. They didn't just come out and do this out of the blue. As the agent said himself, the team consulted with them, and got their approval before going public. It really was a last ditch effort, to let all teams know, not just the ones they may have had discussions with, that the team was now willing to retain salary in order to try and get him another NHL gig. 

Unorthodox? Yes. Disrespectful? No quite the opposite.

Also, for those questioning whether he'd report to Utica, Higgins himself said he will, and fully understands the decision, this isn't a spurned/burnt bridge situation at all. So I applaud management for this unorthodox move.

To add to this, I think doing it this way is the best way to handle it. When a player gets scratched and misses practice is immediately picked up by the media and rumours starts swarming. In the end the players and the coaches have to answer questions, this way it's confirmed and put forward by the management group. All questions are answered and it eases the load off the team.

Archived